Sponsored by:

M3 OR WR1

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 07:03 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 OR WR1

I had the pleasure of driving a 03 plate M3 .WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT.The back end went all over the place i did not manage to get to the maximum of the 8000rpm.I then put on the sport button the responce was unreal but this meant that the car jerked all the time on the slightest touch of the throttle.In my opinion its a death trap.The owner laughed and said that he had lost the back end three times in his first week already.They look and sound great but why anyone would buy one is behond me.What annoying is that if they where 4 wheel drive it would be a fantstic car.As for the WR1 i did not drive it but i was a passenger.I thought it was a great allround performer .not to keen on the colour but a great car.

WHO HAS DROVE BOTH ?
Old 02 February 2005, 07:06 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

So both of you are as crap at driving as the other then

RWD death trap ..............................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz
Old 02 February 2005, 07:13 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Thomo. Mate. RWD is not for people who want to floor the accelerator. Has that ever occured? Just because 4wd very very rarely have enough power to break traction we misinterpret RWD for being unsafe. You have to learn how to deal with RWD, evolve with the car and monitor it's feedback a lot more intensively than you have to in a 4wd. If RWDs were "death traps" then I'm sure a lot of drivers would be dead.

Look at it this way. A RWD is not for people who need a nanny to tell them "easy there with the gas, child..."
Old 02 February 2005, 07:14 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Personally I would have an M3 CSL tomorrow ...... the M3 would take a bit more thinking about but I bet the answer would still be yes.
Old 02 February 2005, 07:15 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

I DONT THINK SO GEEK BOY. HOW CAN YOU JUDGE MY DRIVING.DONT TELL ME YOU CAN STOP THE WHEELS FROM SPINNING
Old 02 February 2005, 07:45 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

Well yes I could.

I would simply take more care
Old 02 February 2005, 07:47 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

No this is has to be a wind up!

No one could come out with quotes this stupid unless they had given it some real thought!
Old 02 February 2005, 08:11 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Give me rear wheel drive any day over front...loads of fun to be had driving on the throttle to balance car....look at formula 1...
Old 02 February 2005, 08:15 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Ive followed a few nasty horrible bad bad rear wheel drive M3's around a certain track and they turn in as well, and look at least as stable as the scoob ........ no understeer either........ and when it comes to the straights the CSL pulls away too ....

gary
Old 02 February 2005, 08:43 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Gary's alternative career will be as a diplomat
Old 02 February 2005, 08:47 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Geek Boy have you driven one? thats the point of the thread i pursume you have not as you have NOT MENTIONED IT IN THREE POSTS. So stop talking out your **** and drive one.Simply take more care( dont make me laugh) your totally missing the POINT.I repeat when you put your foot to the floor the car goes all over the place.Jeez who has not driven a RWD car at speed .The M3 is a different animal.TRY IT
Old 02 February 2005, 08:52 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by THOMO
Geek Boy have you driven one? thats the point of the thread i pursume you have not as you have NOT MENTIONED IT IN THREE POSTS. So stop talking out your **** and drive one.Simply take more care( dont make me laugh) your totally missing the POINT.I repeat when you put your foot to the floor the car goes all over the place.Jeez who has not driven a RWD car at speed .The M3 is a different animal.TRY IT
I've driven one, yes they are a different animal to 4wd, yes rwd gives a different feedback, yes they are dangerous if all you are used to is 4wd, no rwd isn't a death trap, virtually all top sports cars are rwd, no it isn't a death trap, but just getting in one and flooring it may be somewhat suicidal for a driver with no experience of rwd. so there
Old 02 February 2005, 08:57 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

Drove a mates M3 around Bedford.

Felt like a nice car - a little soft compared to the 944 turbo that we drove as well. The m3 was certainly easier to drive.
Old 02 February 2005, 09:00 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geek Boy
Drove a mates M3 around Bedford.

Felt like a nice car - a little soft compared to the 944 turbo that we drove as well. The m3 was certainly easier to drive.
944 turbo's are very good at going round........and round and round and round as one did at Elvington several times at many corners last saturday
Old 02 February 2005, 09:02 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

so you agree blot and you have driven one.and flooring it is suicidal! even tiff lost an M3 mind you he was only a touring car champion.sound like theres better drivers on here.
Old 02 February 2005, 09:04 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

944 my first turbo experience. smiled for days
Old 02 February 2005, 09:07 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

so you agree blot and you have driven one.and flooring it is suicidal! even tiff lost an M3 mind you he was only a touring car champion.sound like theres better drivers on here.
Yes to a point, but more that the change to big bhp and rwd will catch inexperienced drivers out if they try to drive the nads off it straight away. Lets face it, tiff losing a car makes for good tv
Old 02 February 2005, 09:20 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

good TV. To be honest i wanted to buy one for 28k.which is a bit steep for me but i loved the cars looks and interior.As i said before i did not like the drive and was very suprised by it.I have driven an RS6 and a passenger in a SL55 AMG.And both cars never felt as bad a the M3 did.Mind you driving an EVO 6 is a step up on handling compared to an M3.And my scooby is not as powerfull enough to compare against.

Last edited by THOMO; 02 February 2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02 February 2005, 09:25 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

good TV. To be honest i wanted to buy one for 28k.which is a bit steep for me but i loved the cars looks and interior.As i said before i did not like the drive and was very suprised by it.I have driven an RS6 and a passenger in a SL55 AMG.And both cars never felt as bad a the M3 did.Mind you driving an EVO 6 is a step down on handling compared to an M3.And my scooby is not as powerfull enough to compare against.
off topic-
LOL M3 & SL55 AMG, how many salons do you have in your chain? are you sure you haven't a TT

back on topic- somewhat perplexed by Evo 6 being step down on handling to a car you describe as a death trap. Are we talking handling or ride now?
Old 02 February 2005, 09:26 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I guess its like saying a Porsche GT2 is a death trap ........ The reality of it is that its rear wheel drive and has to be driven accordingly. Yeah its scarey yeah its a handful but also the best experience money can buy....poofs drive the turbo but the really hardcore drive GT2's.

Also 140,000,000 M3 owners cant be wrong now can they?

Gary
Old 02 February 2005, 09:28 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Gary
or dead! maybe there is a ghost army of M3 drivers, might explain why they own the road............flame suit zipped......
Old 02 February 2005, 09:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THOMO, did the DSC not take the sting out of the handling to make it more sane for winter greasy road use?
Old 02 February 2005, 10:10 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I guess its like saying a Porsche GT2 is a death trap ........ The reality of it is that its rear wheel drive and has to be driven accordingly. Yeah its scarey yeah its a handful but also the best experience money can buy....poofs drive the turbo but the really hardcore drive GT2's.

Gary
140 Million !!!!!! I don't think so!!!!!!!

If thats right I must be one of the only people who hasn't got one?!?!
Old 02 February 2005, 10:27 PM
flat-spot
Scooby Regular

I'm suprised Birdy hasn't posted a reply about this one as he has had both cars and now drives a WR1, still with the tail hanging out
Old 02 February 2005, 10:54 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

140,000,000 more m3 owners than people on the earth.
Old 02 February 2005, 10:56 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

DSC i pursume it was on John as a yellow light was flashing on the rev counter but i cannot be sure.
Old 03 February 2005, 12:06 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Anyone who has seen the french video of the E46 M3 drifting around off-ramps and roundabouts will appreciate that it has a very controllable rear. I've not driven one but I'd not be scared and if I did I'd be smooth and careful on the throttle. Mash it and she's going to get out of shape with 343bhp through the rear - heck my lowely 270bhp 4wd scooby used to move around in a straight line if you got seriously abusive on wet leaves, etc.
Old 03 February 2005, 01:17 AM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Guys, I think you mean 140 *thousand* not *million* And yes, I'll have to also point out that BLATANTLY flooring a car's accelerator is a daft thing to do. The accelerator isn't an "on-off" switch. And incase you think of having a go, yes, I have driven an M3. And a 996 Carrera 4S that was by far a bigger handful than the M3.

Fact remains that a vehicle that can enter a state of controlled instability, (ie. slide) easily opens up opportunity to it's driver that overly stable vehicles dont have. Thats why only rear-wheel drive cars can effectively drift (in drift races at least) and thats also why an experienced driver in a RWD machine will beat 4wd in a track. The agility and potential range of moves open to RWD cars is simply greater. 4WD are most restrictive but also have by far the more predictable handling making them ideal to drivers who are less experienced.

Mate, no offence, but get an advanced driving course before you atempt to tame an M3...
Old 03 February 2005, 07:11 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

140,000,000 more m3 owners than people on the earth.
Old 03 February 2005, 07:44 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
140 Million !!!!!! I don't think so!!!!!!!

If thats right I must be one of the only people who hasn't got one?!?!
I had a re-count last night and its more like 2 billion .......

Gary

Quick Reply: M3 OR WR1