Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You drive more dangerously in Scoobies?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 12:17 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You drive more dangerously in Scoobies?

Serious question as I've had 3 (last one a PPP) and I definitely drove quicker in the Scooby. It's not a question of power as the car I drive just now is 200bhp but I'm definitely more careful when driving. Especially in bends, roundabouts etc.
Even the wife has noticed and said the same when I drove her cars although we put that down to them not being as fast (is200 etc). In fact I think back to some of the driving I did in the Scoob and think OOps.
Anyone else?
Alas
Old 02 February 2005, 12:24 PM
New_scooby_04

I drive slower generally; scared witless of hurting my pride and joy :-) You know when you've got a performance car when you no longer feel the need to drive like someone's spilt hot coffee on your lap!! :-)

Speed is only one part of the equation though. I look much further ahead down the road when I'm in the scooby and am generally more aware of potential hazzards. I also pay more attention to my inputs on the controls.

Regards
Old 02 February 2005, 12:29 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Difficult one that. I do like making good progress when out for a drive and generally feel it's easier to do in the scoob as the suspension, brakes, tyres, chassis, etc. instill confidence. There are many factors to account for e.g. weather/visibilty, road conditions, type of road, potential hazards.

Having recently got it wrong (it was dark, couldn't see that the bend was covered in mud/slime, and ended up sliding down the road sideways meeting with the hedgerow at one point) i'm now a bit more cautious especially at night where it's not so easy to judge things. Still it could of been much worse, got away with a few ££ of bodywork damage and a bruised ego. It could of ended in roll, injuries, etc.
Old 02 February 2005, 12:37 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Difficult one that. I do like making good progress when out for a drive and generally feel it's easier to do in the scoob as the suspension, brakes, tyres, chassis, etc. instill confidence. There are many factors to account for e.g. weather/visibilty, road conditions, type of road, potential hazards.

Having recently got it wrong (it was dark, couldn't see that the bend was covered in mud/slime, and ended up sliding down the road sideways meeting with the hedgerow at one point) i'm now a bit more cautious especially at night where it's not so easy to judge things. Still it could of been much worse, got away with a few ££ of bodywork damage and a bruised ego. It could of ended in roll, injuries, etc.
This is what I meant as the Scoob does give you confidence to push on a bit more. But a tractor/cyclist round a corner or the example you gave above maybe would not arise as I for one drive more carefully when not in the Scoob. Its not a conscious thing, it just seems to happen.
Alas
Old 02 February 2005, 12:52 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Only when roads and conditions allow and when on my own in the car. I worry about crashing or getting a ticket, so drive sensibly through towns and when there is no need to. I prefer to have my fun away from busy areas and when the roads are quiet.
Old 02 February 2005, 01:04 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Do you really mean dangerously because I don't do that. However if you mean use a Scooby's abilities to make progress, still safely, yes.
Old 02 February 2005, 01:27 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

to quote subarus old slogan

"active driving active safety"

and yes i am able to push the limits in my scooby much more then any car i ever had
Old 02 February 2005, 02:09 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by supertouring
Only when roads and conditions allow and when on my own in the car. I worry about crashing or getting a ticket, so drive sensibly through towns and when there is no need to. I prefer to have my fun away from busy areas and when the roads are quiet.
Same here.
Old 02 February 2005, 02:19 PM
mudfrog
Scooby Regular

All depends on weather/road conditions and whether it is a familier road or not.

Like to give it some on occasions though just to blow the cobwebs out as I don't do to many miles so sometimes it does'nt get up to full working temperature.

Also because you know you've got the power there you don't always feel like you need to use it.
Old 02 February 2005, 02:29 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I drive slower generally; scared witless of hurting my pride and joy :-)
Regards
Surely the car is but a tool to be used? The cars are slaves to their owners. Not the other way around methinks.
Old 02 February 2005, 02:49 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
This is what I meant as the Scoob does give you confidence to push on a bit more. But a tractor/cyclist round a corner or the example you gave above maybe would not arise as I for one drive more carefully when not in the Scoob. Its not a conscious thing, it just seems to happen.
Alas
Just to add it's a quiet country lane route I've used hundreds of times before, I thought I knew it well, it was dry, clear (though dark), just hadn't realised there had been a lot of tractor activity recently. Think most of it had been washed away, just enough to leave a nasty greasy layer on the surface. So even if the road is familar you still need to be very aware of any potential hazzards. Anyway lesson learned and all that
Old 02 February 2005, 02:52 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

i drive my astra 1.7turbo diesel estate in the same maner as my scooby, just can't do it as fast/quick.

no wonder i only do 90 miles to a tenner of diesel!
Old 02 February 2005, 03:04 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
to quote subarus old slogan

"active driving active safety"

and yes i am able to push the limits in my scooby much more then any car i ever had
you cannot 'push the limits' of a scooby safely on the road...end of. They are too damn quick even in std form. IMHO...
Old 02 February 2005, 03:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Engineer@Uni
Surely the car is but a tool to be used? The cars are slaves to their owners. Not the other way around methinks.
Lol, I think most of us on here are slaves to our scoobies more or less! Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy its performance when the conditions alow, just not all the time or in circumstances where it might be risky.

I thinks trails comment is about spot on; you really can't push these cars to their limits on the road safely; best to save that for the track. The nic thigns about Scoobies is that you can enjoy them at even half of what they're capable of.

Regards,

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 02 February 2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02 February 2005, 03:18 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive slower. Unless out for a jolly on clear roads
Old 02 February 2005, 03:23 PM
Myk
Scooby Regular

My driving is defiantely safer in the scoob. As said before knowing you have power to use makes driving a lot more relaxed.

Unfortunately my driving in other cars has been affected, usually because I forget that I'm not in the scoob and try and do an overtaking manouver that would have been perfectly safe and civilised in the scoob, but not the same story in the diesel

Mike
Old 02 February 2005, 03:49 PM
Valkeerie
Scooby Regular

If you do lose it on a public road, there isn't much space to play in, and things can go pear-shaped very quickly. From then on it is a case of pure luck. You could easily kill someone. Speed isn't bad per se ... it is losing it on a corner. A ton of car takes a lot of stopping.

A Scooby invites the driver to push it hard around corners, and that is the temptation to watch.

I drove past a fatality a couple of weeks ago. Road sealed, tape everywhere, a couple of dozen coppers in vests, body on the road covered with a bloody white sheet, theodilite, some PCs standing heads down, hands clasped like they were at a funeral.

A 22 year-old girl.

I realised I never, ever want to be the driver of that car.
Old 02 February 2005, 04:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Valkeerie

A Scooby invites the driver to push it hard around corners, and that is the temptation to watch. A 22 year-old girl.

Quite, but its not just cornering speed, or even speed per se that can kill. Inattentiveness, poor observation, being agressive, failing to adhere to the highway code when negotiating junctions, roundabouts can all be fatal, whatever car you are driving.

Near where I live a group of individuals lost control of a 1,3 Metro over a very slightly raised mini-roundabout. They ended up ploughing into the front of a double decker bus. As a result of that accident 5 people never saw their 21st Birthday.

I don't think the relationship between the performance of a car and the chances of coming to grief in it is a simple positive correleration; there are many other factors at play.

Regards,
Old 02 February 2005, 04:10 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkeerie
If you do lose it on a public road, there isn't much space to play in, and things can go pear-shaped very quickly. From then on it is a case of pure luck. You could easily kill someone. Speed isn't bad per se ... it is losing it on a corner. A ton of car takes a lot of stopping.

A Scooby invites the driver to push it hard around corners, and that is the temptation to watch.

I drove past a fatality a couple of weeks ago. Road sealed, tape everywhere, a couple of dozen coppers in vests, body on the road covered with a bloody white sheet, theodilite, some PCs standing heads down, hands clasped like they were at a funeral.

A 22 year-old girl.

best post of the thread. thanks valkeerie.
Old 02 February 2005, 04:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JASON BIRDMAN
A girl........... 22 years old......... ill say your more dangerous!!!!

You are all dangerous cos most of you cant see over the steering wheel!!!

Subaru........... the modern XR3i
Quite apart from the highly dubious assertion about young female drivers, XR3i ?!?! Yeah right!
Old 02 February 2005, 06:41 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Generally, I think my "normal" driving is a lot less near to the limits the faster the car I've got. My first car - a 49bhp 205 1.1GL - was frequently revved within an inch of its life, and quite often cornered as hard as it's cheap 145/75/13s would cope with. As I've had faster cars, the speed appropriate for the conditions is further within the cars capabilities.

In the scoob, I'm very rarely close to what it can do. The only exceptions are when overtaking - I'll pass in places where its safe in the scoob and wouldn't be in an average family car - and when I have the occassional bouts (sometimes quite a few miles) of "pressing on" on appropriate, empty, roads with only me in the car. Even then, I'm very rarely pushing the limits of the (uprated) brakes or (standard apart from tyres/geometry) suspension.