Sponsored by:

buying first scooby :)

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2005, 03:18 PM
octanegeek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying first scooby :)

I'm just about to buy my first car but not from a dealer its a new shape wrx estate. Anything i should look out for? I'm thinking obvious signs of abuse tyres etc does it have all the correct keys and checking the log book against the chasis numbers but any other tips would be usefull.

Tom
Old 28 January 2005, 04:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by octanegeek
I'm just about to buy my first car but not from a dealer its a new shape wrx estate. Anything i should look out for? I'm thinking obvious signs of abuse tyres etc does it have all the correct keys and checking the log book against the chasis numbers but any other tips would be usefull.

Tom
Loads of threads on this mate! Do a search and you'll discover a wealth of info.

Briefly, you'll need a Professional inspection and HPI check. Don't take a "tyre kicker" approach to this kind of car; if you get it wrong it will cost you dearly! You should ask about Modifications, what fuel and oil it's run on, check the service history to make sure that it has been maintained according to the manufacturers reccomendations (essential, if not walk away).

Also make sure you have researched running costs, especially insurance, these are not cheap cars to keep!! You need to budget.

Happy hunting.
Old 28 January 2005, 04:58 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

I need a "buyers guide" too.

Looking at a Type R next week, What should I look for?
Old 29 January 2005, 04:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Recaro
I need a "buyers guide" too.

Looking at a Type R next week, What should I look for?
Same rules apply, except, petrol is particularly important as a Type R will be an import, which is designed to be run on 100RON. In the UK you'd need to use Optimax and an Octane booster, OR get it re-mapped for UK fuel. If the previous owner hasn't done one of the above, walk away there and then.

Service history might not all be available/comprehensible depending on how long it's been in the country, be wary! Also be aware that Type R will cost even more to insure than a regular Scooby, due to the fact that it's an import...and more powerful than a regular scooby! If you're under 30, most places will simply say "no"!

Happy hunting

Best.