Sponsored by:

Dents on side body panels

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2000, 06:35 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My dad asks, has anyone else noticed a number of small dents on the side panels of their Scoob? You may only see them in a certain light/angle. There are no scratches there, to suggest it was a stone, etc.

Was just the one, but now have a few on each side.

We suspect a jealous bin man!
Old 13 August 2000, 06:59 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

These may well be car park dings caused by careless moorons opening their car doors against yours. This is one reason why i never ever park in car parks, unless i can find a space in isolation so no one can park next to me.

Companies such as dentmaster etc should be able to pop them out for you, something like 60 squids a panel i believe. Perhaps you can ask on the BBS for recommendations for someone to do this in your area.

You can also buy some door protection strips for your scooby from your main dealer for about 40-50 quid a set which help prevent dents from most cars, but not idiots in range rovers etc with high contact points

Cheers

Sunil
Old 13 August 2000, 07:01 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

These may well be car park dings caused by careless moorons opening their car doors against yours. This is one reason why i never ever park in car parks, unless i can find a space in isolation so no one can park next to me.

Companies such as dentmaster etc should be able to pop them out for you, something like 60 squids a panel i believe. Perhaps you can ask on the BBS for recommendations for someone to do this in your area.

You can also buy some door protection strips for your scooby from your main dealer for about 40-50 quid a set which help prevent dents from most cars, but not idiots in range rovers etc with high contact points

Cheers

Sunil
Old 14 August 2000, 12:41 AM
Bal
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep.

I reccomend dentmaster... they did a fine job on the 4 dings on my car.
Just for ref:
Don't ask your local dealer to sort its out!!!
It wil cost you twice as much as the above, hmmmm.

Bal
Old 14 August 2000, 10:46 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Tom

Yeah, I've got one on my off-side rear door.

The car is only 4 months old, so I was a bit miffed when I noticed it. Like on your car, there is no paintwork damage so it must be car park damage as per Sunil's reply.

If you get your dents sorted, please post a reply to say where you went, how much and how good the job was.

Regards

Rich
Old 14 August 2000, 11:02 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I've got at least four in six months. One green, one blue and one white (that's the advantage of having a silver car -- you can see who's dinged you). I think there are some other little dinks as well

I'm waiting until there's a few more, then I'll get the lot done.
Old 14 August 2000, 11:52 AM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Dentmaster come well recommended by a very finicky mate of mine. My 96MY Scoob has a good collection of dings, the panels seem to be more prone to these than on other cars I've owned.

Neil.

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2000, 11:55 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I'm practically on first name terms with my local dents plus operator.

I've had them come over about four times, and the result has always been excellent.

The only limitation is that their method doesn't allow them to get into enclosed sections, or behind the side impact bars, which seems to be precisely the right height for car park dings .

I'd put on the side impact strips if they didn't look so crap on a silver car....

Cheers,

Alex
(now a double space parker )
Old 14 August 2000, 03:07 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Is parking sideways in car parks, thereby taking up two spaces a possible solution?

Rich
Old 14 August 2000, 06:01 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Does this gizmo work on tiny dings or just larger dents ??
Old 14 August 2000, 07:23 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tom, as you are from Birmingham try DentsAway.

I've used them a couple of time and have been very pleased. The agent I use tends to charge the same as for trade customers so it works out at less than £60 per panel.

Tim Hughes works around the Walsall area, his mobile number is 0976 757280.
Old 14 August 2000, 08:31 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I have the same dents on my front wings.
Car parks are one of the worst place for these but for the "blind" dents (no scratches) watch out for car valets washing with pressure washers 2" from your panels and reaching across to wash the bonnet whilst propping themselves against your wings with their knees .
I love Imprezas, but lets face it, their made out of tin foil.

Neil.
Old 14 August 2000, 10:52 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem, mainly with car park skirmishes.

Got so hacked off with it, I had the side mouldings fitted. Look ok on a MY99 silver as it's not colour coded and the black goes with the door handles and mirrors.

Neil
Old 15 August 2000, 10:08 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

The front garden of my house contains four Horse Chestnut trees. You can imagine what my roof panel looked like if I was ever slow to put the car away in the garage.
No other car I have owned has suffered from this to the same degree. This and the parking dings which seem to appear with monotonous regularity are the only things stopping me getting back into Scoob ownership.
I can only hope that the panel work on MY01 cars is a little more substantial. Maybe the dimples would make the car faster……..it seems to work for golf *****!

Simon
Old 15 August 2000, 10:19 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Angry

At least you don't live where I am. I had some drunken prat kick my car last night.

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited 15 August 2000).]
Old 15 August 2000, 01:12 PM
Julian Rowland
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know of a good dent Devils or similar in the London, Kent or Herts (Watford) area? I want to pay cash and have five panels that need attention.

Thanks in advance

Julian
Old 15 August 2000, 02:50 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Tom, I posted a similar query re this subject. I have a DGM MY99, and it has has these 'marks' from new. I never noticed them initially, as you say, it is only under certain light/angles that it is noticable. Both rear doors have this on the curve below the windows, but not the front.

One explanation is that it may be (a) the side impact bars distorting the wafer thin scoob panels, or (b)slight paint/laquer runs or overspray. I never tire of looking at the 'dents' before washing the car only to inspect the area up close to see nothing,
no dings, scratches or dents. A mystery.
There were a few others who noticed this at
the same time. Hope this helps. I
mentioned it to the dealer, but he was
the usual shrugging sholders type.

[This message has been edited by Jye (edited 15 August 2000).]
Old 17 August 2000, 07:55 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tell me about it!!!

I park my car in the garage every night, and always park miles away from everyone else in car parks... But still manage to get loads of dents .

But I guess if you pay £20K for a car that goes and handles like it should cost £60K then you have to make a compremise (sp) somewhere
Old 20 August 2000, 10:46 AM
stratman
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine came back to his Scoob, on a car park, and caught this woman blatantly open her door until it hit his car...she was actaully using his car as a door stop! She then leaned into her car to get the shopping out and banged her door against it again with her big ****. Well he went balistic at her and she replied 'wots up wiv yer its only a car'!!

That would really p*** me off.

I always try to park on the road next to the kerb or in the most remote spot on the car park
Old 20 August 2000, 11:52 AM
Matt Porritt
Scooby Regular

There is an outfit over here that can remove most dents that havn't removed paint with basically a big magnet.
Also another process of using pretty much a suction unit to pull them out.
Old 20 August 2000, 01:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My scooby is only 4 months old and it has more dents than my Calibra had at 7 years old!! is Subaru using the thinnest metal panels it can get away with?? I reckon so!
A lady just banged her door into my rear side panel and wham a nice crease what do you do? get them to pay up on the insurance? ( then they deny all knowledge etc.!?) the attitude of people who see a car as an A to B item is .... its only metal and platic!! which, as thier cars cost £150 its fair enough !! but when you think of your car as we do on here and spend £22,500 on one its a little different !!
Pete
Old 20 August 2000, 05:20 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

It certainly appears to be the same metal as used in Chinese take-away tins!

A shelf fell off the wall in my garage- a 5L oil container and my battery charger were among the objects which bashed the passenger door

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 August 2000, 09:15 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

So where can we get a full replacement fibreglass / carbon fibre body shell then ? That's sort out the denting problem and also make it even faster...

cheers
ANdy
Old 26 January 2008, 05:21 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

people that damage cars have sh8T 4 BRAINS !! mine has had a rambo knife 7 inches across the bonnet !!! had dent master out 3 years ago to remove 7 light dings since then i have got 7 more and top of boot lid 2 fist dents lol hope they enjoyed it sad wa^&^&s,they shoud try get a job ! in dent repair lol.so might spend few quid on the white beast again.or is it worth doing?? when is enough enough.
Old 26 January 2008, 06:16 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

This must be some sort of record. The oldest thread on scoobynet dragged out of the ether ever?

PSL's car only 4 months old at the time!
Old 26 January 2008, 07:59 PM
dohc_turbo
Scooby Regular

i like my golfball, anytime you ash the car by have its more and more of dents, scratches and chipings
Old 26 January 2008, 08:14 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

8yrs FFS, I wonder how many dents the OP has by now..?