Sponsored by:

Super Unleaded in Europe ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2000, 05:29 PM
hitesh
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Could anyone provide info regarding the fuel grades in Europe. I have been advised to only use Super Unleaded in my P1. Super has a 97 octane rating in the UK, but only 95 in Europe. Is this true and if so, is it OK to user the 95 Super ?
I am driving over on 28th Aug, so a quick response would be appreciated.
Old 20 August 2000, 07:47 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

In Holland, Germany, Belgium, Luxemb, Schwitserland, (and I think most other west and south-european country's) you can get as well SUL 95, as SUL 98; last most times is named "super-plus", you always see the octane rating at the pump; most times 98 is 2-3% more expansive.
Germany & Luxemb are substantial cheaper, 10-15%, in gas-prices than f.e Holland!
I guess SUL 98 must be good for your P1; commin'in the east part of holland? Like to see your car!

grt Geert
Holland
e-mail: psyg55@hotmail.com
Old 20 August 2000, 07:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hitesh,
When I went to Germany last month I had a similar query.

basically in all the countries I went through (france, Belgium, netherlands, and Germany) the pumps were marked with Super, which was 95ROn and also Superplus which is 98 RON, and therefore what you really, really should be putting in the p1, i certainly would nnot use 95 in it.

Also 98 RON superplus is pretty cheap over there at the moment, think it cost me a total of 150 quid there and back, which aint bad.

Hope this info is of use, and have a safe and fun trip, and remember that they use kph over there, so when you see 130, don't plant the right foot well, not too much anyway.

Old 20 August 2000, 09:04 PM
hitesh
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks fellas.

Oh and Geert, I am only going as far up as maybe Ostend, so don't forsee going into Holland.

Another time maybe. I prefer the roads on the continent and can honestly see myself popping over there a lot more often.

Will let you know if I do,

Hits.
Old 20 August 2000, 11:37 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

"roads on the continent", yes speccialy the Autobahn: fly free as a bird. Nearby the dutch border there 're several german 'tracks' (f.e. A73-77 the first 50 miles into Germany: Nijmegen - Gennep - Goch - Krefeld - Köln) where you can really try out top-speed: no speedlimits, nice good asphalt, bit hilly, long staight lanes, slow curves, not so much traffic, and, you 're also nearby Nurnburg-Ring for the 'real thing'!

Every 6 - 8 weeks we, some enthousiastics (with chipped & otherwise tuned Subaru's and 1 or 2 Porsches), go to the Ring and have fun. There we met 'locals' who teach us how really to drive the Ring: with Volkswagen GTI's, little Toyota's and other "mini-mouses" the almost destroy every supercar! Unbelievable when such a local hero drives your Subaru on that circuit, specially in the rain, it's like magic!

In october, or so, I hope to come to the UK; I'm interessed in the bump-steer adjustment, and also in Palmer's "better the wetter"!

Meaby see (one of ) you!

grt Geert