ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

*****soundproofing a Bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2005, 11:24 PM
ibz2004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *****soundproofing a Bugeye

Iv just fitted 2 x 12" Alpine type R Subs in the boot. Sounds awsome but the boot rattles.

Has anyone soundproofed their car??? If so can you please post some pics.

I would appreciate any advice on how & where to soundproof and what material to use (and where to purchase these)

thanks
Old 10 January 2005, 11:43 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest how did you attach the subs to the boot floor as mine just slid about as the carpet came loose. In the end decided a false floor was the way to go but still havent got round to making one and my subs are still sitting in the living room!

Sorry for the hi-jack!

As for sound proofing I'd go for dynamat, is quite expensive though

Iain
Old 10 January 2005, 11:55 PM
Aroe
Scooby Regular

Just in the process of finishing soundproofing my car, i used 6 rolls of Dynamat Extreme to do the boot, basically a roll either side, a roll in the boot lid and 3 rolls the boot floor ...ill post some pics when i get chance i loaned my camera out to someone atm.

I got it from http://www.caraudiodirect.com/ when they had a 3 for 2 offer on it was £25 a roll at that time, i believe the price is now £20 a roll and is still the cheapest i can find.
Old 11 January 2005, 01:45 AM
ibz2004
Scooby Regular

cool. let me know as soon as you get the pics up cos im well interested. How did you do the Boot lid? There are two layers to it arent there (the outside and inside layer/skin that has the bolts screwed in to the spoiler)? Seems a bit tricky.

And what else are you soundproofing asidr from the boot? The doors seem a mission. However if you think you have overdone it well then take a look at this!

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...light=overkill

As for holding down the subs well i just used some adhesive velcro. The dude at the Audio place that fitted em for me didnt velcro it. I didnt realise this so when i got back from work the subs were all over the place. lucky there was no damage!
Old 11 January 2005, 02:36 AM
bmw2002
Scooby Regular

Why not buy a pair of ear plugs?

missus!

'02!
Old 11 January 2005, 02:49 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ibz2004
cool. let me know as soon as you get the pics up cos im well interested. How did you do the Boot lid? There are two layers to it arent there (the outside and inside layer/skin that has the bolts screwed in to the spoiler)? Seems a bit tricky.

And what else are you soundproofing asidr from the boot? The doors seem a mission. However if you think you have overdone it well then take a look at this!

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...light=overkill

As for holding down the subs well i just used some adhesive velcro. The dude at the Audio place that fitted em for me didnt velcro it. I didnt realise this so when i got back from work the subs were all over the place. lucky there was no damage!
Have a look on talkaudio again. One of the guys is using non-expanding polyU foam. You use that in cavities or to bond the boot-lid outside/inside skins together. Suppose you could also use it to damp the bumper if you hooked the outer skin off and cleaned it up first. Dunno what you'd do about the spoiler if that rattled.

Also have a look around scoobynet and google for noisekiller uk.

J.