Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 10:06 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Exhaust Help

Ok i need help ....again,

I orderd an Afterburner Vortex center section and backbox over the xmas period and it came today while i was at work , so when i got home from work i fitted it. BUT the Subaru is more for the wife than me and we have 3 kids and its just way to loud !!!!! Not so much botherd bout the noise on the outside but its the inside too.

Whats the best thing to do to quite it down ?

1, Leave the afterburner center section and put the standard backbox back on (will i still get some power gains with the decat)

2, Put the cat back and just have the backbox on

or is there a backbox that will gain me power that is a little bit louder than the standard?

P.S Did i mention the power gain? its bleedin awsome!!
Old 06 January 2005, 10:09 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

Contact the seller & ask them to see if they make or can get made a rear backbox insert, this will quieten the car down & when you're alone a quick turn of the allen key & you'll be able to whisk the baffle out
Old 06 January 2005, 11:11 PM
eddie h
Scooby Regular

get an exhaust fitter/modifier (look in the good 'ol yellow pages) to fit a resonator box into your decat centre section..

when i had a baffle fitted to my last exhaust (a jap can style) it did make it quieter, however at full chat it caused the entire car to hum/rattle/p*ss me off.

That's why i bought a scoobysport/janspeed.

eddie

just noticed your from sheffield... ascar can fit you a centre section resonator for about £60 or if you don't want to be f*cked around, go to challenger exhausts/tyres they said they could have fitted it for the same price.

Last edited by eddie h; 06 January 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07 January 2005, 12:28 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd suggest go back to the supplier and tell them it doesn't do what they said it would - it's too loud. Ask to swap it for a quieter one, or ask what else they can offer, or if they would pay for mods to the exhaust.
If not, reject the whole package and go elsewhere for a more suitable item.
Old 07 January 2005, 12:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

To be blunt, none of the aftermarket exhausts you can buy are what an average wife would call quiet. The afterburner vortex is one of the noisier ones anyway. The main noise difference will be the backbox: put your old one back, and it will go quiet again. Centre resonators help but only a bit (typically 2-3dB IIRC, versus perhaps 20dB difference from the new backbox) - so if it's "way too loud" rather than "a little bit too loud", I wouldn't pin any hopes on that as a solution.

Quieter backboxes do exist - e.g. a prodrive fitted with a centre resonator is quite possibly a good compromise that the wife might cope with. Other quiet ones are MRT, remus, APS, revolution, there may be more.
Old 07 January 2005, 12:19 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in some top quality in-car sound proofing!