ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI 04 or STI 05??

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2005, 06:18 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 04 or STI 05??

Toying with the idea of getting an STI, but i'm still undecided. The dealer the car will come from has an 04 STI, brand new for £23k. This means I could get the PPP on it now. The thing is, is the 05 worth the extra? If it is then I could get PPP later. I know its got the Spec C suspension (ish) and wider track, longer wheelbase and DCCD....................but how much is this worth in the real world, A to B?

I'd appreciate the opinions of any 05 owners (even JDM ones!) on the merits of the new "bits" on the car. I know the interior os a bit nicer (IMHO) but is the car worth the extra over the 03/04 model?

So.................

Does it handle any better?
Is the DCCD any use to an average driver? (although i'm WELL above average )

Cheers.

Mad

Old 03 January 2005, 06:56 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

DCCD is marvellous. On a wet, greasy motorway, the car feels nervous and fidgety - switch DCCD onto the first or second orange and everything calms down, it tracks straight and true with much less effort. On a dry road, where there's no shortage of grip, DCCD on auto makes the car highly agile with a very positive turn-in and no perceptible understeer at all.

Other than that, the '05 car also gives you the updated interior with climate control - make up your own mind on this one - and a drivetrain with a new front LSD. You really need to drive both to see if you notice and/or care about the difference. Bear in mind also that the '05 car comes with Bridgestone RE070 tyres which are square-shouldered, have stiff sidewalls and a cut-slick tread pattern that's strongly biased toward dry conditions. I'll be changing mine for something different when they're worn out.
Old 03 January 2005, 08:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the RE070's, they are actually pretty good in the wet (just ask the 944 driver on the wet twisties (woodhead pass for those who know it))
Its the greasy stuff they suffer on , and ill be changing mine for another set when these are worn out

Tony
Old 03 January 2005, 08:47 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

I took an 05 STI for a test drive last week in the wet and was quite impressed with the grip from the 070's. I thought they would be quite poor but they weren't too bad. I do drive like a fairy though apparently!

Still no thoughts on 04 or 05? Anyone swapped their 03/04 for an 05??????
Old 03 January 2005, 08:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

In terms of outright grip I've no doubt the RE070's are up to the job - but the car undeniably feels fidgety and nervous on damp roads. However, it's the bumpy ride that I could do without, so it's either new boots (£500) or a set of adjustable shocks (£1000+)
Old 03 January 2005, 08:56 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Life is full of tough decisions!

And YES, you do drive like a fairy - you obviously get your gay abandon from CW.
Old 03 January 2005, 09:53 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i have an 03 sti tsl and have driven 04 sti ppp-not as good as mine and a sti 05 ppp-very impressed by suspension/dccd/nicer interior/handling and the detuned wr1 performance-test drive both and you will pick the 05 model every time!
martin

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2005, 10:11 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

I would have thought you could have beaten the £23K figure for the 04 after this time - I paid £23.5K with the prodrive rear silencer fitted in September (just before the 05 was anounced!!) From my understanding the 04 prices have plumeted so check how much you would lose.
I would see what kind of deal you could do on the 05 and then save the pennys and have the PPP fitted to freshen it up at its first birthday.
Old 04 January 2005, 07:54 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

If only you'd let me have a go in you'rs Super..................purely for comparative purposes.

Cheers for the suggestions and advice. I will let you know what I decide.

Mad

Old 04 January 2005, 08:51 AM
STi_Bob
Scooby Regular

I took delivery of my 05 STi in November and have done just over 1200 miles in it so my verdict will be pretty premature as I haven't had a chance to fully expolit the car.

However, I seem to agree with Andy with his review, especially the tyres. I don't particularly like them, they make the car feel very nervous and I don't have full confidence in cornering as I have done in my last Imprezas. I too will be changing them, may be to Goodyear GSD3s when they wear out.

I haven't had a chance to play with the DCCD yet, just left it in auto but out of all the Imprezas I've had, this one seems to have the sharpest turn in.

Powerwise, when running in, I felt that the car was very sluggish but changed the panel filter to an STi one which helped quite alot. After the oil change, I have now come to appreciate the on/off nature of the power. Its either there or its not. I have read that the PPP sorts this out and improves the low-end torque and driveability but I feel IMO that it is very expensive for what it is. I know you retain the warranty and that it probably the biggest worry for most of us guys!

It totally depends on your driving style, I am a great fan of the old style power delivery where you wait.... wait.... wait... and whoaaaa so I actually enjoy it. I will just be changing my backbox to a Scoobysport one to release the trademark burble (this may also alleviate a bit of the delay in the spool up too).

All in all, I reckon you should drive an STi 03/04 with the PPP and then the standard STi 05 and see which suits your driving style. I know there are a few niggles that I have with mine but I am truly glad I bought the 05, may be just psychological, but having the new front diff, wider track, longer wheelbase and the DCCD along with the new interior etc. is more important, especially as you can always upgrade to the PPP later on.

All of the above is my opinion only.
Old 04 January 2005, 09:01 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

When you can get an 05 STI for £24K on Autoebid - I don't think there is any arguement. The 05 is a different beast.
Old 04 January 2005, 12:45 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Just rung the dealer and i'm off for another drive in the 05 later today. I think my mind is nearly made up...............its got to be the 05 I think.
Old 04 January 2005, 07:16 PM
Jason Knowles
Scooby Regular

I paid £21.995 for my 04STI 3 months ago from Cheam motors,the price was what decided me to go for this over the 05.Im very happy with it done 1700 miles now,removed rear cat & replced with TSL group N system.If all your going to use it for is fast road use i think its plenty good enough,and you have still got £4000.00 in your pocket to make it a bit diffrent. JASON
Old 04 January 2005, 10:13 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Company car then Pete?

Never going to talk to you again if you get one! LOL
Old 04 January 2005, 10:48 PM
Crox
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've had my 05 since end of November and love it to bits - done 1500 miles. I know it's all about the driving experience but I do prefer the interior on the latest version - very good quality. The tyres do make quite a bit of road noise though. Stereo remains pants so I ditched that immediately and replaced with MP3 single DIN on top of PSI3 ECU monitor.
Old 05 January 2005, 08:27 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Well the second test drive has made my mind up. I think i'm going to order an 05!

Andy: Yes, its a co. car in that they are paying for it................but its going in my name. If you never talk to me again how will you get you're £30 that i've owed you for ages...........sorry! Will bring it over soon.
Old 05 January 2005, 08:38 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

Do you have to contribute to the cost or is your company paying for it in full?

Old 05 January 2005, 08:39 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris L
When you can get an 05 STI for £24K on Autoebid - I don't think there is any arguement. The 05 is a different beast.
Has anyone used Autoebid?
It doesn't sound like they're one of those dodgy car supermarket outfits, but how would I know such a thing?

Shaun
Old 05 January 2005, 08:39 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Pete, you know my opinions on your driving ( fairy is an understatement )

Joking aside mate, glad your gatting another scoob and particularly the 05 version

Once run in and ppp'd i'll show you how to drive it properly

Gav..
Old 05 January 2005, 08:50 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Gav: You are gay.

Urban: I have to have the car from a dealer approved by my company and so I can't even look at autoebid

*****: I'll have a small contribution to pay ( and I do mean small!)................but its got to be worth it when i'll be unnaffected by depreciation or running costs, including insurance, tax, tyres, Optimax etc etc. Also, as the car is going to be "mine" I won't get stung for any co. car tax either.
Old 05 January 2005, 08:55 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a nice company car?

Last edited by willy; 05 January 2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05 January 2005, 09:04 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

***** lad.................you have PM.
Old 05 January 2005, 09:29 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

You have pm too...
Old 05 January 2005, 10:09 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Has anyone used Autoebid?
It doesn't sound like they're one of those dodgy car supermarket outfits, but how would I know such a thing?

Shaun
Haven't used them myself, but I know of one or two people that have. Essentially, they are collecting bids from UK dealers for UK cars. Even if you don't want to go through them, it is a useful bargining tool when talking to your dealer.
Old 05 January 2005, 01:38 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

You have most definately made the right decision...I am in love with my 05 STI it is a UK spec c pretty much..what more can you ask for???

Enjoy it when you get it!!!
Old 05 January 2005, 05:01 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris L
Haven't used them myself, but I know of one or two people that have. Essentially, they are collecting bids from UK dealers for UK cars. Even if you don't want to go through them, it is a useful bargining tool when talking to your dealer.
So if according to their site I can save 2K on a new UK STI, whats in it for them?

If the dealers are bidding 24K prices to them instead of the list of 26K or are they?
Surely dealers are not quoting less then 24K to them?

I'm definately on the look for a new STI, but obviously very cautious of what appears to be "too good to be true".

Shaun
Old 05 January 2005, 06:25 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Pete you lucky git, guess your employer doesnt place any restrictions on the type of car you can have then? Presume it will be our local dealer at Monks Heath as youre getting it through work and they have some arrangement set up apparently?

n1 m8
Old 06 January 2005, 08:40 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Yes beefy, thats where it comes from. There are restrictions! It has to be 4 door, 4 adult sized seats, ABS, air con, high level brake light and have a boot bigger than 300 litres. There is no mention of flat 4 turbocharged boxer engines or intercooler water spray!

Old 06 January 2005, 10:39 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Now I see how you managed to get it past the missus!

"Yes love, its a company car and they MADE me get it!"
Old 07 January 2005, 12:05 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Shaun - have a read of the site - it explains all on there. As I said, you've no commitment to use them , but it does give you an idea of what you can go an negotiate. Winning the Dept of Trade and Industry's National E-business award in 2004 probably means they are not some dodgy outfit!

Last edited by Chris L; 07 January 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: STI 04 or STI 05??