Sponsored by:

£95 for a first service?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 08:47 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £95 for a first service?

How the hell does it cost £50 in labour to change the oil? £45 worth of parts seems a bit on the steep side too.

The garage were supposed to fix a problem with the driver's seat being loose too but they were "too busy and short staffed today". WHY TAKE THE BOOKING IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN?

Now I'll need to take a half day off work at some point to get that fixed.
Old 29 December 2004, 08:59 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3ph3n
How the hell does it cost £50 in labour to change the oil? £45 worth of parts seems a bit on the steep side too.

The garage were supposed to fix a problem with the driver's seat being loose too but they were "too busy and short staffed today". WHY TAKE THE BOOKING IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN?

Now I'll need to take a half day off work at some point to get that fixed.
Dealers m8... robbing bastaaaaaarrrrrdddddssss

Will never pay dealer prices again!
Old 29 December 2004, 09:14 PM
SL_WRX
Scooby Regular

That is certainly excessive. Just had 1000 mile service on my STI and it cost about £ 37.

What pisses me off is they also charge for screen wash - even though the bottle was almost full - they cant have put in more than a few ml, but still charged me 70 pence. Gues they build the cost up as much as poss with these almost hidden extras.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:41 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Is it an import? I paid £40 ish for my 1000 service.
Old 29 December 2004, 10:09 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SL_WRX
That is certainly excessive. Just had 1000 mile service on my STI and it cost about £ 37.

What pisses me off is they also charge for screen wash - even though the bottle was almost full - they cant have put in more than a few ml, but still charged me 70 pence. Gues they build the cost up as much as poss with these almost hidden extras.
As I said robbing bstds...
Old 29 December 2004, 10:14 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

a few yrs ago my first 1000 miles service on MY00 Classis was £45.

dunno bout the newer models, our STi had 2700 on the clock when we bought it
Old 29 December 2004, 10:24 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

it takes less than 15 mins.........

an oil filter is a fiver and oil is less than £20...............

makes you think.

thats why i make a killing at work servicing peoples cars.........

parts+20/25(rounded off) squids average price is about £55

do about 2 every sunday!
Old 29 December 2004, 11:05 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

It is an import, UK Spec MY05 WRX.

Broken down into 25.88 for Oil, £4.50 for a filter and 77p for a Gasket-oil drain PLU. Not sure what that is.

Whcih finally leaves us with "SU1", Carry out 1,000 Mile Service - £50.

Plus the VAT and bingo, £95.

I guess the £50 would have been waived if I'd bought the car from them.

They'll certainly not get my PPP or prodrive springs money should I go for it.

Garage was Halleys in Milngavie, Glasgow. AVOID!
Old 29 December 2004, 11:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep !

It's what you expect when you buy an import. I got my MY02 Bugeye £2k cheaper from belgium and had to pay my local dealer £114 for the 1000 mile service which is usually free to customers who buy from them !! I was still £1.8k better off but those where the days when the Euro was weak and Scooby's were expensive in the UK....................not now !

From then I have had great service from my local dealer..... Stan Palmers here in Carlisle

Midlife......
Old 30 December 2004, 08:03 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SL_WRX
I had the screen wash fraud on a (crappy) Freelander I had a few years back. The garage charged for screenwash & a "courtesy pack" which included car wash & car wax that I didn't want & didn't request. A very stiff letter from me followed where I questioned how they managed to get the screen wash in when the washer bottle was 100% full (did they drain the washer bottle first?) & also an instruction from me for them to collect the unlawful supply of cheap car cleaning products. I got a refund from Taunton Land Rover & never dealt with them again.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:31 AM
jmk
Scooby Regular

My dealer tried the same with screen wash on both of my last services. The first time they said that the mechanic must have drained the washer tank first - PMSL - didn't pay for it. They wanted almost £3 yet I bought 5 ltr of concentrate from Costco for approx the same money :-)
Old 30 December 2004, 05:12 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got charged £100 for my 1st service on my Suzuki gxzr 750 imports ....and you think your 1st service was expensive
Old 30 December 2004, 06:11 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Cool

The only time you get chrged labour on a first service is if the vehicle is an "Import". All UUk dealers dont charge labour on 1k services to the customer, the bill gets posted to the supplying dealer. So by saying you got billed, means you saved money on the car by buying abroad, or from an importer, so it simply means you are now paying the penalty. Just wait till it goes wrong, then see how the dealer has to deal with it. You wont get such a "rapid fix" as a Uk car. thye have to get permission from the supplying country BEFORE they can lay a spanner on it!
Just wait n see. dont get your hackles up yet,only time will tell,but you may wish you had spent the money on a Uk mota in the long run.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:45 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyslut
The only time you get chrged labour on a first service is if the vehicle is an "Import". All UUk dealers dont charge labour on 1k services to the customer, the bill gets posted to the supplying dealer. So by saying you got billed, means you saved money on the car by buying abroad, or from an importer, so it simply means you are now paying the penalty. Just wait till it goes wrong, then see how the dealer has to deal with it. You wont get such a "rapid fix" as a Uk car. thye have to get permission from the supplying country BEFORE they can lay a spanner on it!
Just wait n see. dont get your hackles up yet,only time will tell,but you may wish you had spent the money on a Uk mota in the long run.
Here we go more scaremongering..!

I had to pay £106 for my first service (MY 05 wrx EU import) but as I paid £16500 for it I'm not too bothered..!

The car is registred with IM (I have the letter) and the dealer I've been using is more than pleased to do any work on it. With regards to warranty claims taking time, well I've only had a split wiper blade, which they replaced without any question. In fact I know of several people who have bought 05's from uk dealers and had far more problems than me..!

BTW I also have a 5 year transmission warranty as well as the usual 3 years.

Before you mention it, yes it fully undersealed..!

Jason

PS I've enquired at serveral dealers about fitting PPP in new year and guess what... NO PROBLEM.

PPS I even know someone who's bought an EU import at £17k from a Subaru main dealer in uk.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:47 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Here we go more scaremongering..!

I had to pay £106 for my first service (MY 05 wrx EU import) but as I paid £16500 for it I'm not too bothered..!

The car is registred with IM (I have the letter) and the dealer I've been using is more than pleased to do any work on it. With regards to warranty claims taking time, well I've only had a split wiper blade, which they replaced without any question. In fact I know of several people who have bought 05's from uk dealers and had far more problems than me..!

BTW I also have a 5 year transmission warranty as well as the usual 3 years.

Before you mention it, yes it fully undersealed..!

Jason

PS I've enquired at serveral dealers about fitting PPP in new year and guess what... NO PROBLEM.

PPS I even know someone who's bought an EU import at £17k from a Subaru main dealer in uk.
Ah, did you get locking wheel nuts though?!?
Old 30 December 2004, 08:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old Screen Wash Con ........ I actually watched them squirt my washer bottle dry of the stuff I had just put in, to charge me £1:20 for the priveledge of putting Subaru Fluid in!!

Now, most people just say, "Hell its only £1:20, when the service is costing me £100+, who cares?"

But thats not the point - its the cool way they just add it on - you may as well bend over and let them shaft you!! I always tell them not to touch the washer fluid (but, then, they get you in other ways ..... one of your bulbs was a bit dim, so we have replaced it for you!" Bit Dim???? WTF??

Its a game .........

Pete
Old 30 December 2004, 09:06 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheerful as ever tonight then, Mr Lewis!
Old 30 December 2004, 09:52 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Just bought a wrx 05 import from allbrandsnew, is there a difference in the alarm on the import model?
Thanks.
Andy
Old 30 December 2004, 11:17 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Jason, out of interest, how did you register with IM?

I'll have to get my seat fixed at some stage soon but I don't have any of the warranty documentation yet. I have the EC certificate of conformity and now also the V5. Which interestingly enough says no where that the car has been imported. Is that normal?

Obviously I'm not the first owner, but it does say "Declared new at first registration".

Factoring in the first service and wheel nuts into the price I paid for the car + cat 1 alarm OTR I've still saved £3K on dealer prices. I'll take that any day of the week.
Old 30 December 2004, 11:22 PM
mattykimbo
Scooby Regular

Angry

renault are charing me £174.99 for5 my first service on my clio and if i dont have it done by them they viod the warranty i got with my seltions finance agreement, bar stewards!
Old 30 December 2004, 11:50 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

st3ph3n

Floating around scoobynet is the standard letter to send to IM UK....... Ajax who bought his scooby from Well lane posted it !!

Try a search for his posts

Shaun
Old 31 December 2004, 10:33 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Broken down into 25.88 for Oil, £4.50 for a filter and 77p for a Gasket-oil drain PLU. Not sure what that is.

£50 labour is not bad for a first service, and at at least they are chargeing the correct price for parts, (oil filter £4.50) my dealer had been chargeing £6.50 for oil filters till I told them in no uncertain terms that the subaru MRRP is £4.50 where they then amended my bill I wonder what they charge now would be interesting too know if they are still ripping people off.
Old 31 December 2004, 12:39 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Jason, out of interest, how did you register with IM?

I'll have to get my seat fixed at some stage soon but I don't have any of the warranty documentation yet. I have the EC certificate of conformity and now also the V5. Which interestingly enough says no where that the car has been imported. Is that normal?

Obviously I'm not the first owner, but it does say "Declared new at first registration".

Factoring in the first service and wheel nuts into the price I paid for the car + cat 1 alarm OTR I've still saved £3K on dealer prices. I'll take that any day of the week.
Hi M8,

If you like I'll pm you the letter I used (basic stuff really requesting regisration fro cross border service/warranty inc VIN & your details) you will need a copy of the original sales receipt from country of origin.

My V5 is the same however I am the first owner (some suppliers pre reg others don't).

Your Warranty/service book should arrive in a few weeks of getting the car, if you haven't had it yet it means you won't of had it stamped for 1st service. i Would always recommed this.

It's always nice to know another bargain hunter..!

Cheers,

Jason
Old 31 December 2004, 04:52 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Imports don't usually have any alarms fitted. UK cars come into the country and then Subaru UK fit the alarm before it is delivered to the dealer. My 03 WRX is an import and my lovely Scooby dealer charged me nearly £130.00 for first service @ 12 months and I even supplied my own oil, as I was informed that 1000 mile service was not required on an import, even double checked with Dutch dealer.

Sent letter to IM with copy of invoice and CofC to register and ask for a confirmation back from IM to ensure you are on IM's records.

Andy.
Old 31 December 2004, 05:15 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Ant
£50 labour is not bad for a first service, and at at least they are chargeing the correct price for parts, (oil filter £4.50) my dealer had been chargeing £6.50 for oil filters till I told them in no uncertain terms that the subaru MRRP is £4.50 where they then amended my bill I wonder what they charge now would be interesting too know if they are still ripping people off.
it is only a recommended price there is nothing that says it has to be that price.
with the alarm as well i bet the import owners don't have the brain in the metal box like uk spec cars.
Old 31 December 2004, 07:06 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the assistance guys.
Old 01 January 2005, 08:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
it is only a recommended price there is nothing that says it has to be that price.
with the alarm as well i bet the import owners don't have the brain in the metal box like uk spec cars.
If your implying that the subaru alarm is better for being in a metal box you must realise that having the same system on every car makes it easier for some scote to bypass it.

What I have on my EU import is my choice and therefore harder to suss out..!

BTW the immobilizer is the same as every scoob, maybe I should change that..?
Old 01 January 2005, 08:50 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ment to be free labour just have to pay for the parts on the 1000 mile service thats what it was for me, i got my 03wrx new from york and as i live in the south got it done by sparshats in hants only paid for the parts no labour charge, so if i was you i would look into that cos your not ment to pay any labour on the 1000 service.
Old 01 January 2005, 09:01 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
Subaru set the retail prices of parts, this is a maximum price the dealers can charge, Subaru would'nt release a press release saying that the parts prices have been reduced and that an oil filter now only costs £4.50 if the dealers were allowed to go and charge what they like, I have heard that a letter was circulated too all dealers saying they would be in big trouble if did'nt pass the price reductions on to customers, after all its Subarus reputation and new car sales that are affected by greedy dealers chargeing more than retail prices on parts makeing running costs higher.