Sponsored by:

MODEL REPORT HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2004, 12:52 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up MODEL REPORT HELP!!!

Hello people, i am about to import a 03/2003 Subaru impreza wrx (new shape) Auto box, from Japan but i do not no if a model report is available for this car

I have looked at modelreport.co.uk but i dont know how to tell if one is available for this car....please please help as i dont want to make payment and then find out im fcuked. Has anyone imported the same car or does anyone know if there is one available..........OHHH Merry Christmas every one!!!!!!
Old 28 December 2004, 01:14 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Find out the model code of the Impreza you are buying and then do a Google.
If it's not available it isn't the end of the world as you can pay to get one created.
It will cost a fair bit mind, but once you get it you can then rent it out to other people who need it.

Incidentally, why do you want a Jap spec WRX Auto?
Old 28 December 2004, 01:15 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

whats the model code of the car mate so we can tell which one it is eg GDA** etc etc
you dont want to go down the road of getting a model report made it costs a hell of a lot of money for a propa 1 to be made your looking at around £10,000. also the car has to be totally standard and its not an easy process getting one made.

Last edited by mo,s scoobymonster; 28 December 2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 28 December 2004, 02:03 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys but the car is not here and all the info ive been given is what ive put on here...my old man is out there and has seen this one going dirt cheap and so has bought it me ...BUT i want to make sure there is a report available for it.......i wish i had the damn car here !!...i can get the vin number, engine number if that helps?
Old 28 December 2004, 02:24 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

yes mate get the vin number the first letters of that i think will be the model number of the car. for example the 4 door classic is a gc8 model
Old 28 December 2004, 02:27 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

hmmmmmm, sounds like major grief m8, get out the deal if you can, thats why a lot of cars are no longer imported..............

or if its that cheap, break it for spares and then you will get some cash back.

cheers robin.
Old 28 December 2004, 02:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

you need the model code off the vin plate the chassis number is different
Old 28 December 2004, 06:06 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vava voom
Hello people, i am about to import a 03/2003 Subaru impreza wrx (new shape) Auto box, from Japan but i do not no if a model report is available for this car

I have looked at modelreport.co.uk but i dont know how to tell if one is available for this car....please please help as i dont want to make payment and then find out im fcuked. Has anyone imported the same car or does anyone know if there is one available..........OHHH Merry Christmas every one!!!!!!
The ONLY way to answer your question is to contact the Ministry of Transport. They compile the 'Model Report' from the submitted comparison test data; the owner is asked if he'd like to make the Model Report available to hire (the actual 'Model Report' never leaves the Ministry). If the answer is 'no' it doesnt mean that a 'Model Report' doesnt exist; but it does mean that you cant access one.

I wonder how long it will be before some well-meaning person mentions 'modelreports.com'?

Simon
Old 28 December 2004, 06:12 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I wonder how long it will be before some well-meaning person mentions 'modelreports.com'?

Simon
Er

I have looked at modelreport.co.uk
Old 28 December 2004, 06:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm, Ive given up reading all of the posts on this topic now, as you can see..... What Ive said still stands though; the ONLY people to ask are the Ministry of Transport (or whatever theyre called at the moment), quoting the applied model number. Failing that you might consider paying duty on the car and registering it in Cyprus which is now in the EEC and a littel easier going.

You might also consider registering the vehicle in your father's name; see Ive read all the posts now! A 'Personal Import' wont require an E-SVA using a 'Model Report'. Go to your local VRO and get an import pack; the various pamphlets will explain it all.

Simon
Old 29 December 2004, 10:35 AM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hello chaps the model report i have got back from my dad is GDA-C48T?????
Old 29 December 2004, 10:43 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

http://vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners...ngvehicles.htm
Old 29 December 2004, 10:45 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Red face How many threads on the same topic

You must be an expert by now!!http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=354381

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=339199

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338594

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=328100
Old 29 December 2004, 10:51 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

After all that i'd have thought that he'd just give up and buy a car that's already in the country!
Old 29 December 2004, 10:51 AM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Yeah it seems i should be but i never have come across a model report problem!!!!! Does anyone know if there is a model report for the id i have given?? i have looked at modelreport.co.uk and it looks like there is not a direct match
Old 29 December 2004, 11:52 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Vava voom; Ive answered your question; and Ive also shown you that you probably DONT NEED A 'MODEL REPORT'.

Further to that; 'modelreport.co.uk' are one of many SVA skankers in Southampton; they arent a reference.

Simon
Old 29 December 2004, 01:29 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

those Southampton companies are a nightmare to deal with
Old 29 December 2004, 05:12 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

GC8 isn't it for a car to be a personal import that you have to have owned and have the car registered in your name in the foreign country for atleast 6 months. so as his dad is just buying it he won't be able to bring it in that way as he is just buying it.
Old 29 December 2004, 06:10 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hello my dad has only just bought the car and not owned it for 6 months, will i need a model report????....car has been paid for and im just praying i can get to drive it!!
Old 29 December 2004, 06:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It is; but with Japanese cars being de-registered its not quite as easy to establish as it would be with a registration document like ours. As long as his father has lived there for long enough I believe it wont be a problem. Bear in mind also that the car is still in Japan so holding onto it for a few weeks more shouldnt be too difficult.

Simon
Old 29 December 2004, 06:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id advise asking the DVLA what their take on shipping time is; youre looking at between a four to six week journey but Im not sure whether this will count as owned in Japan, though I think it might.

Simon
Old 29 December 2004, 06:25 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Hello my dad has only just bought the car and not owned it for 6 months, will i need a model report????....car has been paid for and im just praying i can get to drive it!!
Unless you choose the 'Personal Import' route you WILL require a Model Report and I very much doubt that ine is available to rent. You have the option of creating your own buts its costly and auto '03 Scoobies arent a booming market. Of course; you will only know for certain whether a Model Report is available when you speak to the Ministry. 'Personal Import' is your only real option and Id grab it with both hands; most people dont have that choice.

Simon
Old 29 December 2004, 08:14 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thsnkf or thst GC8...i shall get on the blower first thing!!!
Old 29 December 2004, 08:15 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

One to many i think......
Old 30 December 2004, 09:11 AM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

OK i have called the DVLA lot and they have said i either need a SVA test done or i need a Type apporvial...one or the other . I figure the car is completley standard so SVA will not be a problem?
Old 30 December 2004, 01:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

DVLA advice isnt all that it could be; go to your local VRO and ask for an import packand you will be able to SEE FOR YOURSELF. This will contain a number of pamphlets which will list your options. Simply these are: 'Commercial Import'; E-SVA using a 'Model Report' or 'Personal Import' with an SVA where the owner has lived abroad for 12 months and they have owned the car for six months (which will include the shipping time of 4-6 weeks). 'Personal Import' will cost you a LOT less in duties and you wont require a Model Reportfor your simple SVA test. Dont be confused by the terms either: a 'Commercial Import' is anyhting that doesnt qualify as a 'Personal Import' irrespective of whether the vehicle is imported for commercial gain or personal use.

Its difficult to know what the 'DVLA' has told you, what they knew, understood or meant. If you have to E-SVA the vehicle using a Model Report it needs to be 'standard' yes. If you are putting the vehicle through an E-SVA or an SVA without a Model Report (typically a pre 31.12.'96 vehicle) then being standard is not that important for example: a non standard exhaust will pass as long as it is in good order and it isnt too loud and non-standard parts such as strut braces wont affect the outcome.

If your father has lived in Japan for 12 months at the time you come to register the vehicle; and he has owned the car for six months then registering the car as a 'Personal Import' is an option for you. (Department for Transport pamphlet P15 Section 2.4 Page 8-9) It wont need an E-SVA using a Model Report, just a simple SVA and itll cost you a damned sight less in duties too.

Simon
Old 30 December 2004, 03:54 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that simon, ill call them now and see what my best option is,
Old 30 December 2004, 04:03 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hello i have just called vosa and they have said i will need a model report for sva...unless my dad comes back to the uk and is able to prove he owned the car in Japan and has stayed there for 12 months......this will be a problem!...he can not come back for another 12-24 months!!

So what are my options people?
Old 30 December 2004, 04:15 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Sell the car.
Old 30 December 2004, 04:24 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

It looks that way

Quick Reply: MODEL REPORT HELP!!!