Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK 03 STi PPP - practical? - comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 11:05 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile UK 03 STi PPP - practical? - comfortable?

Just returned fro first longterm driving of beasty. - 4 days in the frozen Yorks Dales! - Most roads travelled were a frozen compressed 2 inches of snow at minus 3 to minus 6 with nil to moderately heavy falling snow. - Average gap between stone walls 1 to 3 feet each side.

Average of 6 hours per day driving...... must be mad....

was it comfortable? - yes - ok a bit pogosticky, but overall the ride could not be described as unpleasant (to a car enthusiast) and the seat was good for the back but the thigh bolsters are too narrow.

The variable power (PPP map seems to vary each time you re-apply the throttle) and the huge elastic band release transition from Fiat 500 to WRC as it comes on boost tends to keep you on your toes...!

The steering grab as the front brakes traction in the wet (yesterday de-iced from minus 6 to + 12 !! - got a bit flooded is alarming and needs an iron fist to stop car diving off in a direction of its own as it winds its own lock on.

Brakes / tyre grip in the snow is utterly hideous (presumably snow tyres wouuld solve the problem) - std tyres go instantly into ABS mode and the car just continues on its merry way - a little steering remains, but little chance of actually stopping...

Fuel appetite was quite a problem as I frequently spent half the day driving across treacherous high moor to find super unleaded (averaged 20 mpg on motorway and no doubt less than 17 around Dales)

Car always made me feel special and I have no problem whatever with the image even though I am approaching 50 - other people may have a problem, but they can keep that to themselves. - This is a practical everyday rally clone with pretty fierce performance when placed between narrow stone walls and driven as fast as is practical given the slippery conditions. - each time the scoop crested bonnet surges on a gear change, coupled with the g force and sound, it feels just like McCrae PS2

So anybody out there considering a Blobeye PPP Sti and nervous about practicality - fear not - it is certainly a practical daily driver, that makes you a feel a little special...
Old 24 December 2004, 09:49 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I love my STI8 PPP. It's a fantastic car and loads of fun to drive.
Old 24 December 2004, 10:11 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Talking

I second that!! Excellent car
Old 24 December 2004, 10:21 AM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

me too! i TOTALY LOVE my one, and its even more radical being a tuned ra!!
a rare beastie indeed!

cheers robin.
Old 24 December 2004, 10:24 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Griff, nice review!
Old 24 December 2004, 10:39 AM
Tim66 STi8
Scooby Regular

Agree with you all. Did a 500 mile trip in my 03 STi the other day,the only pain I had was having to slow down for the speed cameras
Old 24 December 2004, 11:01 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, agree.......Took my MY03 STi TypeUK (non-PPP) up to the Lake District earlier this year, did about 1,000 miles in a week...loved every minute and the car took it all in its stride, didn't faulter once!

Even returned 30mpg on the motorway drive up there!

Really impressed with how it performed...especially as my mates Civic Type-R that came along with us had to go into the dealer in Kendal while we were there to have the suspension seen too!
Old 24 December 2004, 12:03 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
Just returned fro first longterm driving of beasty. - 4 days in the frozen Yorks Dales!...
Any piccies?
Old 24 December 2004, 12:29 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Tentenths
Any piccies?

not this time - weather was so severe, I didnt get out much - actually I might be able to find a few naff ones (usual standard is high!) when the olde style film is processed..

thanks for nice comments

- how on earth do you get more than 21 mpg??!! - even when I wasnt well the other day and had to cruise M6 at 50-60 mph I only got 21.... (genuine whisp throttle and thoughtful gear selection)

The steering ****** when front end looses grip is only thing I would warn newbies of - better if it was rear end then the steering wheel wouldnt get ripped from your grasp - that and of course the speed you find carying into corners is quite alarming - not unusual to hit ABS on a dry road when faced with a corner looming at most unlikely ferocity...!

I hated the scoop when I first saw the size, but if you will excuse the pun, its growing on me.... - it really is quite a picture heaving up and down with each full blooded gear change and the stone walls flashing by in hyperdrive only an arms length away - of, and roll down the rear windows a couple of inches ------ the sound between walls when it comes hard on boost is all WRC - then there is the 'thwack' of flame when you shift gear on a charge (leave throttle cracked open a touch during shifts..)

Merry Christmas one and all - keep it on the black stuff!
Old 24 December 2004, 12:34 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Are you sure you weren't driving an Evo

I've said it before an' I'll say it again,but,I absolutely hate my 03Sti PPP compared to my previous 2 Imprezas

The poor running from cold

The notchy gearbox

The stutter when you floor it

The oddly spaced gear ratio's

Bouncy bouncy Prodrive springs

The Heatsoak.......I could go on

and I get to do quite a lot of long journeys in my car,granted its fun and very capable at 100mph+ all day long

but the damn thing is an absolute nitemare in traffic,particularly during the summer months....no fun at all

Jon
Old 24 December 2004, 12:50 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Are you sure you weren't driving an Evo

I've said it before an' I'll say it again,but,I absolutely hate my 03Sti PPP compared to my previous 2 Imprezas

The poor running from cold

The notchy gearbox

The stutter when you floor it

The oddly spaced gear ratio's

Bouncy bouncy Prodrive springs

The Heatsoak.......I could go on

and I get to do quite a lot of long journeys in my car,granted its fun and very capable at 100mph+ all day long

but the damn thing is an absolute nitemare in traffic,particularly during the summer months....no fun at all

Jon
Jon, I think yours needs looking at - are you using 100% Optimax?

THe ride - mine is std STi on F1s and whilst choppy, I wouldnt say it is unpleasant when you consider it is a work a day WRC clone (similar bhp and weight - less torque but less hassle too!) - I am happy to drive it several hours a day - I averaged 5+ hrs per day for several days in EXTREME driving conditions and had no reason to complain - not saying that the chop couldnt be engineered out or that the ride couldnt be a little more compliant - I would like to try a car set up 2/3rds toward STi Prodrive from std WRX - that would be a good compromise for UK backroads?

p.s runs perfectly from cold
Old 24 December 2004, 02:46 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

04STI:
Depends on how I feel with mine - some days seams hard and jarrs with the front wheels trying to grab at every bump and groove and sending you in the wrong directions, however that is when driving around slowly, when you get hold of the car and drive it how its designed to it comes alive and is much more at home.
At the end of the day its a very practical "fast car for family" solution but its best at "fast".
Old 26 December 2004, 08:57 PM
A1exander
Scooby Regular

I just bought an STI Type UK on Friday. Cant wait to enjoy my first Subaru though PPP will follow in the summer. After my previous car it feels so comfortable and the performance effortless.