Sponsored by:

How much quicker is a R33 GTR than an STI Type R

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2004, 04:42 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much quicker is a R33 GTR than an STI Type R

As the title, but if anyone has real life experience not just quoted figures from the individual spec of each car. The reason I ask is because I am considering a swap for my 1997 Type R running mild mods @310bhp. I really dont want anything that would be slower at all. What do you guys rekon?
Old 05 December 2004, 04:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its a completely different proposition isnt it? Theres an awful lot more potential in an R33 GT-R. My experiance is with R33 GTS-T Type M's which are 100cc less and rear wheel drive, but Id say that the Scooby is lighter and a good bit more nimble. The R33 will be a lot quicker when it gets its legs though and it will be able to keep it up all day, which you cant say about an STI.

Simon
Old 05 December 2004, 07:34 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TyPe~~R
As the title, but if anyone has real life experience not just quoted figures from the individual spec of each car. The reason I ask is because I am considering a swap for my 1997 Type R running mild mods @310bhp. I really dont want anything that would be slower at all. What do you guys rekon?
A standard GTR would be no match for your current car. I suspect you'd need one with around 400bhp to keep up and even then it would probably 'feel' slower.

My R34 GTR struggled to keep up with what looked like a UK-spec wagon the other day, and yesterday I had an old K-plate WRX all over me from 0-80. I don't doubt that at 100mph plus I'd have had the upper hand but at real-world speeds the advantage will always be with the Scooby.

If driving experience (rather than looks, image etc) is what matters to you then definitely take a long drive in the GTR before you agree to swap.
Old 05 December 2004, 08:06 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, the GTR in question is stage one modded, with an uprated map, FMIC and steel turbo's. I dont know any figures for torque/BHP. Do you think it would keep up with a type r now? lol.
As far as the difference in weight, i will have to have a long drive like you say as I believe the GTR's are quite the heavy car.
Old 05 December 2004, 09:36 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

There was a Skyline buyers guide in Decembers issue of Top Gear magazine, which you might find of interest. The parts prices quoted scared the hell out of me!
Old 05 December 2004, 09:57 PM
ChrisR-C
Scooby Regular

Have driven both cars but own a V5 type R thought the R33 wasnt as quick of the mark but its a big car followed my mate who doesnt hang about and didnt have any probs staying with him
Old 05 December 2004, 10:31 PM
Spudgun R32
Scooby Newbie

Smile

nobody really buys a gtr then keeps it standard. they are all about being tuned, thats the fun of it. buy one with stage 1 mods (decat, boost controller, ecu) and have a safe, easy to drive 400bhp all day long. next step up is usually around 500bhp mark. i imagine a scooby is more limited in what you can achieve from it (ive owned two, as well as an evo6) on a realistic budget, whereas the gtr will take far more abuse. standard internals are good for well over 500bhp apparently.

still love the sound of a flat four, sounds nice. but id rather have my 32, love the old girl, fantastic car for the money

for any advice, try www.gtr.co.uk , loads of info there