Sponsored by:

Legacy b4?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2004, 08:25 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Legacy b4?

Thinking of buying a Legacy B4,taken by the spec and build quality,and the "stealth" like appearance,test drive sorted for this week,car is a 99 saloon just wondered if anyone has any good or bad experiences of them?
I guess parts are pretty much available from the usual sources and I have yet to make the insurance call...need i worry???
My current motor which is of to a new home is a modded uk wagon bout 270 horses and I have had 3 fab years with it and fancy a change but like the different-ness of the b4.
I know it will attract less attention and now I have 2 younger passengers I plan to do a few more runs out (coast and day trips etc)next year and like all the refinments in the b4.

So any stories? How do they respond to subtle mods?i.e decat etc.
Anyone had bad time insuring one or running one?
ANy pics out there of any with aftermarket gear on example wheels etc??

Old 05 December 2004, 05:44 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

legacyb4 group on yahoo is a great place to visit - quite a few members on here, too.

Good choice for a balance of performance and comfort (esp for those in the back pew). Some have found that the 100RON thing can be an issue, but ECUTEK can do a re-write for UK fuel.

To answer your last questions:
decats: can kill the engine/primary pronto - you can be lucky and have lots of fun, but the turbos are near their limits on the car, so mods need to be done very carefully.

insuring/running: not in UK, so insuring is not my field, but i've had lots of fun with mine in the 4+ eyars I've had it. Great car for long trips, good for dropping of the kids and taking the long way home too

Quite a few pics on the group, there is a site in the UK too.

HTH
Old 05 December 2004, 09:24 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

thanks for that,done a bit of reading up ,spec wise etc,and hope test drive does not disapoint!!
Old 05 December 2004, 11:26 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Be aware that only 2001+ B4s can be EcuTeked. I'm stuck running octane booster on mine.
I think the issue with the turbo is never decat the primary turbo. It's quite small and weedy in order to spin up at low revs, so if you decat it, it breaks.
Try asking on the UK Legacy forums for more info.
Personally I love mine to bits, but I wont be changing the wheels or anything. Pic here

As for insurance, I got quoted similar prices to a UK WRX, but it's odd because the same company quoted me *less* for an STI and even less for a WR1.

It will comfortably fit a full-size adult in the back seats even after I've pushed the front ones back. Tons of boot space too, not to mention 3 DIN sockets inside for all your radio and gadgetry needs.

You'll probably have people asking what the hell it is, so far I've had people think it's a BMW 3-series, an Audi, a Honda Accord, "some kind of Lexus?" and a "when did Lada start making nice cars, did someone buy them like with Skoda?" (presumably they mistook the L badge on the front for a Lada)
Old 06 December 2004, 07:41 AM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
Be aware that only 2001+ B4s can be EcuTeked. I'm stuck running octane booster on mine.
I think the issue with the turbo is never decat the primary turbo. It's quite small and weedy in order to spin up at low revs, so if you decat it, it breaks.
Try asking on the UK Legacy forums for more info.
Personally I love mine to bits, but I wont be changing the wheels or anything. Pic here

As for insurance, I got quoted similar prices to a UK WRX, but it's odd because the same company quoted me *less* for an STI and even less for a WR1.

It will comfortably fit a full-size adult in the back seats even after I've pushed the front ones back. Tons of boot space too, not to mention 3 DIN sockets inside for all your radio and gadgetry needs.

You'll probably have people asking what the hell it is, so far I've had people think it's a BMW 3-series, an Audi, a Honda Accord, "some kind of Lexus?" and a "when did Lada start making nice cars, did someone buy them like with Skoda?" (presumably they mistook the L badge on the front for a Lada)
ta for that..so octane booster each fill up then?
checking insurance today..your car looks sweet !
Old 06 December 2004, 08:07 AM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Had a MY00 B4 auto in a couple of weeks ago for the big service +cambelt.A very nice drive and very understated.......service parts available off the shelf and just as easy to work on as the impreza.

steve
Old 06 December 2004, 08:26 AM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jasemac,

The GTB's boot is huge, compared to the Impreza wagon.

Mark
UK Twin Turbo Legacy Register
Old 06 December 2004, 01:26 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for hauling space, I've had a big club kit and 4 individual kits, plus 4 blokes in my old BG5 GT-B, and the BH5 is bigger.

Even the B4 can carry the kit and 2 decent kit bags...
Old 06 December 2004, 01:27 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for hauling space, I've had a big club kit (cricket - 4 sets of pads, bats, gloves, a helmet etc) and 4 individual kits, plus 4 blokes in my old BG5 GT-B, and the BH5 is bigger.

Even the B4 can carry the kit and 2 decent kit bags...