Sponsored by:

Neglect & Abuse to a 25K Sti

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2004, 08:19 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neglect & Abuse to a 25K Sti

Been driving my WRX now for 18months and I'm please to bits with it but thought i'd just make some enquiries about taking an STi out for a quick burn to see what all the fuss was about

Got a call from the Saleman at my local Subaru garage on Tuesday saying they had a used STi 03 due in and that i could it for a test drive Friday (today!).

Turned up today in my WRX and transferred my body into the Sti.

The Sti had 25k miles on the clock, a one owner and looked as mint as mine which is always a good sign. I made the fair assumption that an engine of this age would be completely run in so I could safely boot it and feel the full oommpphhh.

First impressions:
Gearbox was stiff from cold but soon became slick once warm... fair enough.

Nice short throw on the gear into each gear.

This car is planted.... doesn't tramline like my WRX and wallow.

Clutch pedal was a lot stiffer to press than what i'm used to... presume this is normal?

Turbo seems to kick in about 3500rpm onward but would pull like hell all the way to the redline... nice

Felt loads of judder when trying to move off slowly. Like the clutch was worn or something? Maybe I'm just a crap driver....

Hesitated quite violently a few times when I put my foot down from early revs, which seemed worrying.

There was a loud rattling sound when the revs were above 4000rpm... like someone rattling a tin.

In 6th gear going 70mph I booted it and the acceleration was non existent I guess you just gotta drop and boot to get it to go here.

In comparison to my WRX the Sti was more difficult to drive slow but would leave me for dead in a straight line once it got going. The 6 speed box could take a bit of getting used to but thats no issue. Its a very much more focused vehicle.

However I did get that feeling that the car might have been slightly abused by the previous occupant because it didn't seem to run as smooth as my WRX....but I suppose you can't really expect any less with cars of this nature....meant to be driven hard. Maybe a drive of a new one would have been better.

Still a good car though... but I'll stick with my WRX for the moment.
Old 03 December 2004, 08:51 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

Try booting it in 3rd at 70 or is that 4th or 3rd, well one of those gears makes it more responsive. Though I'm sure many Sti owners will turn you
Old 03 December 2004, 08:51 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Both the STi's I have owned, the gear box is "notchy" when it's cold, I think this is standard on most cars, the clutch should be very easy to control, I passed my advance driving test in my STi and you really do need good clutch control, even the class 1 police examiner commented on how smooth the clutch control was.
On acceleration yes there is turbo lag but I'm sure you get that in the wrx as well.
I think the car you test drove needs some "fettling".
Maybe you should try a new demo car to compare with both your wrx and the older STi.
Old 03 December 2004, 08:55 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The clutches can judder when cold esp in this weather and the power spread of the sti is not ideal for around town, but great in the lanes. The PPP makes the car alot more usable everyday imho and even faster by a long way.
Gearboxes, yeh when cold they can be a abit notchy but hey most perfomance boxes are, my old CTR was a real pain when cold.
6th gear is much more usable with the PPP otherwise a quick changedown is needed below 70mph to 5th, that's what the close ratio box is for i suppose.
So I don't think the car was abused by what you say, just a normal sti on a cold damp day.

Dipster
Old 03 December 2004, 08:58 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Just to add one thing, my sti's clutch juddered for a bit then I drove the car onto my ramps to do an old change. And guess what, the judder has gone and been gone for the last Month. I suppose that slipping the clutch to get the car on the ramps has cleaned the surface in some way, it did stink abit.

Dipster
Old 03 December 2004, 10:16 PM
New_scooby_04

As above, Clutch judder is normal when cold

The STi is a bit more hard work around town than a wrx, but still should be an easy car to drive. The turbo wakes up later but hits harder...feels good doesn't it! ;-)

The only 2 things that would worry me about your comments is the hesitation under hard acceleration: can be the sign of a dodgy MAF if I'm not mistaken, how was it idling?

As for the rattling, well that might not be anything sinister, but would want it explained and rectified before taking the procedings any further! 25k in a year and a bit is quite a lot of milage, but that doesn't mean its been abused. Did you ask the dealer why the previous owner sold it?

Best wishes
Old 03 December 2004, 10:34 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

couldn't get much info out of the dealer about the previous owner. Just said it was a bloke.

I understand what you guys are saying. I know when I get my car to Wales at weekends it really comes into its own and sometimes I could do with the extra poke or a handling tweak. This is where the STi would come alive i'm sure.

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2004, 01:13 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastfrank
Hesitated quite violently a few times when I put my foot down from early revs, which seemed worrying.

There was a loud rattling sound when the revs were above 4000rpm... like someone rattling a tin.

In 6th gear going 70mph I booted it and the acceleration was non existent I guess you just gotta drop and boot to get it to go here.
The hesitation could possibly be due to the dealer putting normal unleaded in it, after all, it is a few pence cheaper

The rattle is probably nothing more than a loose heatshield.

The lack of acceleration in 6th at 70 is to be expected, as you mentioned the turbo only kicks in at around 3500 RPM (4000?). The PPP will help this, and should bring the spool-up down to around 2500 RPM.
Old 04 December 2004, 07:33 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

sounds like its detting to me!
Old 04 December 2004, 07:52 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

re clutch judder.

My MY02 STI did this and at 30k I insisted it was sorted under warranty. Dealer obliged and fitted a new clutch and flywheel and clutch release bearing.

Car now does NOT judder when cold or any other circumstances.
Old 04 December 2004, 09:27 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastfrank
couldn't get much info out of the dealer about the previous owner. Just said it was a bloke.

I understand what you guys are saying. I know when I get my car to Wales at weekends it really comes into its own and sometimes I could do with the extra poke or a handling tweak. This is where the STi would come alive i'm sure.
What dealer ???
Old 04 December 2004, 10:14 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Birdy
Worried it's your old one?
Old 04 December 2004, 11:10 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARRON BIRD
What dealer ???
Holdcroft Widnes... y is it yours?

Mica Blue, BLue mudflaps, Prodrive gear ****.
Old 04 December 2004, 11:13 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
The hesitation could possibly be due to the dealer putting normal unleaded in it, after all, it is a few pence cheaper

The lack of acceleration in 6th at 70 is to be expected, as you mentioned the turbo only kicks in at around 3500 RPM (4000?). The PPP will help this, and should bring the spool-up down to around 2500 RPM.
yeah it was probably 4k revs if thats the norm. If PPP sorts it out it must be an absolute bomb to drive
Old 04 December 2004, 11:23 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave T-S
Birdy
Worried it's your old one?
I was as I know they have a nibble on it but thats an 02