Sponsored by:

Subaru Dealer hypocrisy & double standards

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 05:24 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Subaru Dealer hypocrisy & double standards

I responded to an ad on the Auto Trader website for an STi 03 with 1800 miles for £19,995, from a Subaru Main Dealer. I asked him how come the car had so little mileage on it, he said it was bought by an old man living in Malta, who brought it to UK then didn't drive it. I said 'so it's a Euro import?' He said 'yes, that's why we are selling it cheap!' I said cheap? Thats a UK car price! When was the last time you looked in Top Marques? £20k is the average going rate for UK 03 STi's! I also asked him why a UK Subaru dealer is selling an EU car, which they apparently 'don't like' because we buy them at cheaper prices, which is one of our basic rights, to shop around for the best price! Doesn't it make you sick though, when I was trying to part ex my 03 WRX PPP Euro import to Subaru dealers, they were all 'Oh no, your car is a euro import, worth a lot less than a uk car'. Bloody hypocrits! Even the Subaru brochures feature LHD Euro cars, for a UK brochure. (which are disguised by not showing the wipers, which would give it away). If it suits them, it's ok, but for us, we are still penalised for buying a Euro car, and finally, to ice the cake, he (the dealer) says that from now on all Euro import Impreza's are not allowed to be fitted with PPP, because of ECU problems! What a load of.........
Old 30 November 2004, 05:50 PM
WhipLikeFlagella
Scooby Newbie

sounds rubbish.

Can anyone please help to put this PPP on Euro import and impact on warranty question to bed? Can the dealer refuse??

Thanks.
Old 30 November 2004, 07:41 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The dealer can refuse to do anything - free country and all that .

I believe the issue is that for the PPP to maintain warranty, it officially needs to be fitted in the country of origin. It could be fitted elsewhere, but that could technically invalidate the warranty. Whether they enforce that may be dependent on dealer, country of origin etc.

Personally I strongly doubt the ECU is any different for a UK spec euro import than a UK car, my euro import 02WRX wasn't Why would they bother when the cars all come off the same production line?
Old 30 November 2004, 11:59 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Personally I strongly doubt the ECU is any different for a UK spec euro import than a UK car, my euro import 02WRX wasn't Why would they bother when the cars all come off the same production line?
They are exactly the same.....
Old 01 December 2004, 12:19 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Head they win - tails you lose. All you can do is vote with your feet.
Alas