New Member - Diff noise

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 09:41 AM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Diff noise

Hello eveyone

Been reading the threads with interest for sometime and now have finally joined.

I have had an 03 WRX from brand new and it is still completely standard, overall I am happy with the car (first scoob) except for a problem with the rear diff.
When the car was a couple of weeks old a whining noise started from the rear end when decelerating from 65 - 60 mph, I took it to the dealer who said let it develop. We did this for around 12 months when it seemed to be getting worse, took it back to the dealer who investigated and replaced the rear diff. Noise disappeared for a couple of weeks then returned, back to the dealer again who then got the Subaru rep out, he said it was a faulty batch of diffs!!! and it was replaced a second time.
The noise is still there, I have taken it to a different dealer but the noise is sometimes faint and on the short run we had it could hardly be heard. I mainly wanted them to log the fault for future reference as I am sure it will develop over the next few months.
Has anybody heard of this fault or got any ideas? It is not a major problem but is annoying, it is the first 4wd car I have had and wondered if you do get some transmission noise.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:27 AM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Yes have had this on my own a 02 My
The diff was replaced but the noise returned again after speaking with Subaru Ireland and having the vehicle inspected they agreed it was noisy all be it very faint , They advised me that there was no problem with the diff and that it was a gear mesh noise which would not escalate or cause any other problem and that the noise insulation over the rear diff could be improved by the installation of sound deadening pads which involved the removal of the rear interior trim , this was done and the noise was once again acceptable , maybe worth a try on yours
Old 29 November 2004, 10:39 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Welcome WRX Sparky !!!

How many miles have you done in the Scoob? If the car is completely standard you are missing out, get a back box stuck on it - you wont regret it
Old 29 November 2004, 12:28 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the advice.

The car has 12000 miles on it and rarely gets driven like it should do. The wife drives it all week, I mainly drive it weekends and holidays. I can't really justify the cost of PPP but would like to improve the response at low revs (and the sound). Would a backbox only help?
Old 29 November 2004, 01:37 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Hi guy's,

u sure this isn't just diff whine?

On other cars you'll notice, when reversing quite quickly then lift off, you hear a type of tranny whine, is it like that?

Jason
Old 29 November 2004, 02:16 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

I know what you mean but this seems different, it is only between the speed of 65mph down to 60 then it stops. When the diff was changed it stopped which I thought ruled out the chance that it was something else like the gear box. My thinking was that something could be out of line and putting pressure on the diff causing the problem after a few hundred miles.
Old 29 November 2004, 02:23 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

WRX Sparky,

Don't let the dealers fob you off. I've had 2 rear diffs and the problem is still there so the issue won't be fixed by having another new one. It's having the 20k service tomorrow and they're checking if it has a vibration damper vitted / working correctly - this is the latest thing to check and has been suggested by IM's technical support manager; hopefully it'll do he trick.

No way should a £20k+ car suffer from this noise and the dealers shouldn't tell you it's all okay. Clearly there's a design fault or some of their parts are fitted incorrectly or they are faulty.

Check out this thread for other info, no idea how to make it a clicky...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=333469
Old 29 November 2004, 02:41 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

Thanks

That sounds like exactly the same problem, let me know how you get on.
Old 30 November 2004, 06:51 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Sparky, had the service today and the dampers weren't at fault. But had a call from a technical guy at IM and they've been told by Subaru Japan that it needs a new rear subframe (or something). Should have it fitted in 2-4 weeks, I'll keep you updated if this works. Hopefully it'll be fixed by the time I reach 25k :-)
Old 30 November 2004, 07:29 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

Nice one, if yours gets sorted I can pass on the info to my dealer.

Thanks