Sponsored by:

p1 vs sti vlimited coupe

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 01:17 AM
rox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p1 vs sti vlimited coupe

hi all just sold my 96 jap wrx and wanting something with more grunt . stopin with subaru cos nothing realy comes close just wantin to know how they stack up against each other for price / performance / any help would be a great help
Old 23 November 2004, 08:37 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

hi Rox,
If you want to do a comparison its best you try out both cars and see which one you prefer. They are quite dissimilar with there own pros and cons.

i.e.
STi type R
produced for Jap domestic market - and mapped for Japanese fuel
No ABS
has Driver controlled differential
suspension set up uses STi components
Cheaper to buy - most of the time

P1
Uk fuel mapped
ABS
no DCCD
more "compliant" suspension
holds value - is expensive

I have a STi V type R for sale and I am located in Co Durham - if you want to have a look get in touch
Old 23 November 2004, 08:50 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

P1 re-mapped for UK fuel?

I think if you do a search on here the consensus was it was not re-mapped at all but a couple of fuel broquets were put into the fuel tank.

That's IIRC.

P.s. I'd go for the type r, P1 is just a JDM WRX with STi engine. Type r has lots of small extra's which are easily overlooked (electrically folding mirrors). So much higher spec and much cheaper to buy.
Old 23 November 2004, 10:24 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I will always go JDM for the same reasons - but if he is considering a P1 it is worth trying both cars
Old 23 November 2004, 10:29 AM
richiewong
Twatful

I'd choose a Type R any day, but I'm baised
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=285698
Old 23 November 2004, 11:18 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've had both a sti5typeR and a P1. As above both with pros and cons. P1 a better car for me, also get one with a comprehensive subaru warranty something that's impossible with a jap spec. Handy when engine rebuilds can be several thousand £s.
Old 23 November 2004, 12:47 PM
rox
Scooby Regular

does either model have reliablity problems iv read quiet a few posts on the forums of engines giving up on the high tuned stis?
Old 23 November 2004, 01:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The main concern is the engine, everything else is pretty much sound. For both models I have only changed the battery in one and nothing else at all went wrong.

You can get after market warranties for Imprezas, but they tend to be expensive and totally worthless. If you are concerned about warranty and it will be an only day to day car the best bet *IMHO* is the P1, especially as good cars can be bought for around £15k. All P1s came with a 3 year warranty and the ones to watch are the ones with extended subaru warranty. All P1s will be out of the original 3 year warranty by now.

The main difference in both cars is the manual diff control and the rear wheel style handling between the P1 and the sti typeR. If youre an 'enthusiastic' driver and want more rawness from a car than the typeR is the one for you. The P1 is much more of an all round UK car with taller gearing for motorways (extra 70 miles per tank mpg), and tends to prove much easier to drive for an average driver.

You wont go far wrong with either car as long as you pick a tidy one in the first place.
Old 23 November 2004, 02:30 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
P1 re-mapped for UK fuel?

I think if you do a search on here the consensus was it was not re-mapped at all but a couple of fuel broquets were put into the fuel tank.
Prodrive also had STI put extra knock correction capability into the ECU, so it can adjust down a bit further for 97RON fuel.
Old 23 November 2004, 04:05 PM
simonhk
Scooby Regular

Default re

anyone knows is there any difference between sti type r and sti type ra except the ra got 4doors and roof vent etc? both r the same engine right? and is there any price difference ? seems ra more rarer?

cheers
Old 23 November 2004, 04:21 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

RA as standard is the featherweight car (i.e. no stereo, leccy windows, radio, air-con etc) and should be a bit "nippier" in this form - although most of them have these added as options so speed-wise they are similar