Sponsored by:

Standard STi or PPP

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 03:59 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard STi or PPP

Being new to the site apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum.

Having test drove a STi with PPP 04 model it went like the wind so I am seriously considering a STi as main car and any advice would be greatly appreciated on the following:

Does the ppp really make that much difference over the Std 265bhp for everyday use ? not having driven the standard version.

How does the economy suffer or doesn't it make any difference?

Is the prodrive suspension option suitable for everyday mixed A & B roads or more suited to a track.

Finally any particular problems that a dealer isn't going to tell me about?

Thanks
Smudga
Old 23 November 2004, 04:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smudga

Having test drove a STi with PPP 04 model it went like the wind so I am seriously considering a STi as main car and any advice would be greatly appreciated on the following:

Does the ppp really make that much difference over the Std 265bhp for everyday use ? not having driven the standard version.

Is the prodrive suspension option suitable for everyday mixed A & B roads or more suited to a track.

Thanks
Smudga
The PPP makes a huge difference to the car.....much easier to drive faster without the efforts of having to wait for the standard car to "get ready".

Economy - if you're going to rake the **** out of it everytime drive it, then you know the answer.........
If you behave, then some say its better, on my own MY02 I don't notice much difference really.

Cant answer the prodrive suspension question,

Dealer problems he may not tell you about are Increase tyre wear

Shaun
Old 23 November 2004, 04:25 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Personal view is that the Prodrive springs make the car a hell of a lot more comfortable. Standard suspension is just too jiggly and bouncy on poor quality UK roads, especially compared to the (comparative) comfort of a WRX.
Old 23 November 2004, 04:27 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Smudga
I use my car most days. (WR1, so not all that different from a MY04 STI PPP).

I've driven both a standard STI and also one with the PPP on it. I've also owned a MY02 WRX.

I've found the WR1's ride to be a lot better than the WRX's was.

The PPP in my opinion makes the car a lot more drivable as it pulls better from lower revs.

I've not lived with an STI to know about the fuel comsumption but i think you'll find others who have will say there really is very little change once you've had it fittted.

One thing to watch is what it will do to your insurance. For me it was going to push it through the roof as a lot of companies view it as a modded car. The WR1 was a LOT cheaper to get cover on.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old 23 November 2004, 04:32 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Smudga
Try a search as it's all been covered many times. A synopsis, with my own spin on it is as follows:

1) Get PPP - much nicer to drive, broader full power/torque curve. Noise is better also;
2) I've got an STIPPP and Prodrive spring kit - and two young kids - they always fall asleep very quickly in the car, so can't be too bad on the suspension side - I do m/way, a and b road driving - about 20K per year and fine for me;
3) Economy suffers a little, mainly because you'll be driving faster!
4) Particular problems - tocuh wood, I've been fine. It'll be under warranty, so you shouldn't worry too much. I'm sure Scoobs have no more or no fewer issues than other new cars.

Cheers
Old 23 November 2004, 04:32 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Have a look here m8 http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=numbers
I asked the same question a while back, took a test drive back to back-nonppp and ppp. I would say that ppp is a must, watch the insurance though-mine went up £220.

Dipster
Old 23 November 2004, 04:58 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Hey guys,

Thanks for that, very informative, thanks for the link Dipster seems to have answered the question really well. I presume that if the car is say ex demo and already with the PPP the insurance Co. would treat it as a factory option? (hope)

Have to say the grin factor on the test drive was huge PPP it is
Old 23 November 2004, 05:10 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I presume that if the car is say ex demo and already with the PPP the insurance Co. would treat it as a factory option? (hope)
I don't think that they will do. I think you're best to ring up your insurance company and check but as it's a dealer fit option i doubt they'll fall for that!