Opinions on the MY05 STi TYPE UK

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 08:48 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Opinions on the MY05 STi TYPE UK

Hi Folks,

Can anyone who actually owns one of these care to share what they are like, preferably without PPP. IE, what you have owned before, what powerlevel and handling mods you had and how the MY05 STi compares to that.

Many thanks,
Shaun.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:06 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Nobody got one then?
Old 20 November 2004, 11:09 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You thinking of trading in then?
Old 20 November 2004, 12:07 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

The Sti is a nice car but it really needs the PPP

I'm driving an 05 next week i've had an 02 and an 04 so i'll let you know what the differance is
Old 20 November 2004, 01:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've got a Japanese-spec one, any good?
Old 20 November 2004, 05:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Christ...... this is a Subaru website and no-one has a UK MY05 STi!!!!

Are they bad or something!

Just want to know what they are like to previous versions from peoples own points of view.

S.B.- Trading in..... never!!!

Sam- Surely the PPP can't be that much of a pre-requisite can it, as they are 260bhp standard?!?!?

Andy- Not really as I want to known what the UK ones are like, as that is what I would (if I was ) look at getting.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:33 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by webmaster

Regards,
Shaun.
Are you sure about that... 90% of the site is now covered by muppets, DIY and other crap like that. Very little Subaru left to be honest. Maybe posting this in the technical section where people without lexus lights lurk might help

Tony.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:35 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Tony,
Now, now!!!

Regards,
Shaun
Old 20 November 2004, 05:36 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Only joking .

Wish i could help but i'm holding out to change when the new shape comes out.... fingers crossed it's not another fugly!!!!!

Tony.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:38 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

You being serious..... imho the present shape is the best one so far to me, or do I need to go to spec savers?

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:39 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

hi its kermit hear

just got 100 bhp (bhp is what counts) on my 96 wrx , by whacking the boost up,

ps, anyone know how i can get 3 14 inch subs into my boot ?

i think the classic are better than newage, plus the classic is 1000kg lighter,than why it get to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds
Old 20 November 2004, 05:41 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

You being serious..... imho the present shape is the best one so far to me, or do I need to go to spec savers?

Regards,
Shaun.
I think the new shape is the best one to date.

I guess the lack of responces show that there aren't really that many Scooby owners posting on here.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:43 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

As 90% etc

On a serious note

newage better looking IMHO

05 WRX supposedly feels slightly sharper to drive, due to smaller sterring wheel and some steering mods down below

Thats about all ive heard, that was by the dealer by the way

oh and theinterior is defo nice !

i would like to see it lit at night thou
Old 20 November 2004, 05:44 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Regards,
Shaun.
Did you read my post correctly Shaun??? I do agree that the current shape is by far the best looking but i want to wait until the new impreza arrives in 2006(??) before switching as from what i've heard it could be very interesting. Just hope it's not as big a let down as when the fugly appeared.

That's what i meant... not sure what you thought i meant????

Tony.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:46 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Tony,

Sorry.... just thought you meant the present version was fugly as well.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:48 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Oh no.... think the present version has by far the best looks. Especially Mr Solberg's

Tony.
Old 20 November 2004, 06:34 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Are they bad or something!

Just want to know what they are like to previous versions from peoples own points of view.

S.B.- Trading in..... never!!!

Sam- Surely the PPP can't be that much of a pre-requisite can it, as they are 260bhp standard?!?!?

Andy- Not really as I want to known what the UK ones are like, as that is what I would (if I was ) look at getting.

Regards,
Shaun.
I don't think many UK '05 STIs have escaped the dealers' clutches yet - but I do know the spec. The engine and gearbox are just the same as previous UK STIs, which means they still have the 265bhp engine. Strangled by emissions regs, this engine is a bit asthmatic around town but does wake up above about 4000rpm. The PPP allows it to breathe properly and makes it much more flexible, as well as adding a healthy 40bhp at the top end.

The chassis is lifted from the Spec C, so it has a longer wheelbase, increased caster angle and other changes. If it's anything like my Japan-spec car (and it should be, the setup is very close if not actually the same), that means it has a razor sharp turn-in and the slight vagueness and tendency to understeer has gone. DCCD-A is standard.

The interior is nice - no doubt you've seen the pictures - though tyre roar has become intrusive. I've heard the UK suspension is relatively soft, though an inexpensive set of springs (like the Eibachs I have on my car) sorts that - provided you live in an area with fairly smooth roads
Old 20 November 2004, 06:41 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Andy,

Thanks for that. I have actually sat in an 05 at my local dealers, but due to the fact the car had just been bought by someone else for rallying I was unable to take it for a drive.

I just really wanted to know whether it was worth all the money, as I am looking for a car to track and am in several minds whether to go for a classic (I have my eye on one), a 02 WRX (I have my other eye on one) or of course go ***** out and get the 05 model (i'm squinting and can't see).

Of course funds are an issue, so I don't want to blow money for the sake of it.

The scale of the cars mentioned go like....

Classic - £9k
02 WRX - £15k
05 STI - £26k

Quite a difference as I presume you will agree......... the one thing that gets me is the fact I love the 05's so much.

Regards,
Shaun.

Last edited by ex-webby; 20 November 2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 20 November 2004, 06:47 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

As a track toy I'd get a classic STI for the relatively light weight and low cost. With what you save over a new car you can upgrade the brakes and suspension, get a spare set of wheels and still have change for a few track days. I think for a track car you might find the new one a little too cosy.
Old 20 November 2004, 07:29 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Are you sure about that... 90% of the site is now covered by muppets, DIY and other crap like that. Very little Subaru left to be honest. Maybe posting this in the technical section where people without lexus lights lurk might help

Tony.
Tony,

I am offended by your comments! I have an MY00 and I consider myself to be a Subaru enthusiast. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to a MY05 STi Type UK or going the JDM route so I want to see how this thread develops...

Mark.
Old 20 November 2004, 08:09 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Andy,
Has to be a UK model (so the IMPORT is not a consideration), as I am struggling to get an insurer that will touch me on an import with NO NCB on a new 3rd car policy.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 20 November 2004, 08:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wuss,
Deffo the JDM route
Having gone from an MY00 PPP'd turbo to a JDM STi Spec C, the difference is just astounding
The car handles better, goes quicker (especially the fuel ) stops quicker, doesnt have that vague feeling in the steering or understeers for that matter
Very progressive power, and very torquey, especially low down (5th gear at 30mph isnt a problem )
Razor sharp turn in, scares the s**t out of me she just goes round corners without a problem
The RE070's are interesting when new though, they get much better later on (wet weather grip and less tramlining)

Tony
Old 20 November 2004, 08:17 PM
SL_WRX
Scooby Regular

I have just gone from a 03 WRX TO 04 STI - and it is a fairly significant step up. i toyed with the idea of waiting a month or two for the 05 STI but I got a good deal going for the 04 model, and since there was no power difference I wasnt really bothered. Question I pose back to you is - are most of us really that good a driver where we can take the car to such a limit where you may start to notice/benefit from the slight difference in the new setup vs the old. Lets face it the 03/04 model is pretty damn good for handling and can take alot more than I could throw at it. So here's another choice for you - consider an 03/04 STI
Old 20 November 2004, 09:09 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Maybe it's just that most people who lurk on SN aren't exactly flush with cash and as a percentage of the people on here maybe there aren't that many with the money who have splashed it out on an MY05 Sti yet. Maybe those that can afford are just waiting to also find out what they are like ?
Old 20 November 2004, 09:20 PM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SL_WRX
I have just gone from a 03 WRX TO 04 STI - and it is a fairly significant step up. i toyed with the idea of waiting a month or two for the 05 STI but I got a good deal going for the 04 model, and since there was no power difference I wasnt really bothered. Question I pose back to you is - are most of us really that good a driver where we can take the car to such a limit where you may start to notice/benefit from the slight difference in the new setup vs the old. Lets face it the 03/04 model is pretty damn good for handling and can take alot more than I could throw at it. So here's another choice for you - consider an 03/04 STI

I agree, I toyed with waiting for the MY05 STI but got a MY04 STI instead for good deal.
Webmaster - why not get a MY04 STI as with 05 out they are bound to fall in price
Old 20 November 2004, 09:38 PM
tenno
Scooby Newbie

I picked up my 05 STI Type Uk in October, but still got 200 miles to go before its run in,(I know, should have run in by now but I've been busy)so I dont know what its like over 4000 rpm. Feels good up to there tho.I'll have to get back to you when its run in. I've had 2 UK standard (apart from backbox and filter) classics before this. First one new in '96, second one new in '98. Bearing in mind I part-exed a six year old, almost standard car, its no surprise to find the handling,steering and brakes are so much better. The interior is a big improvement(not difficult I know), and personally I think it looks a lot better than the bugeye
Old 20 November 2004, 11:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Er Shaun,

You already have a track car you *****.

Ian
Old 21 November 2004, 12:19 AM
Lucky Man
Scooby Regular

Cool MY 05 WRx STi

I have had mine for three weeks 1550 miles and am through the first service.

I have never really owned a performance car before unless you count a brand new F reg XR2 (pause for nostalgic moment). Before the Subaru I drove a 3.0 X Type now the wife,s car the best I can say about that car it is was supremely comfortable and effortless to drive.

My opinions of the STi are limited by the short time I have had it and to be honest, my ability as a driver.

Firstly the negatives, The ride is very very firm especially at low speeds any road imperfections are transmitted directly to your seat, but not strangely enough through the steering wheel, that is too busy trying to self centre itself.If there was a category for tramlining in road tests this car would be 5 stars. This in conjuction with the comedy Bridgestones they put on the car means that if you are travelling at slower speeds you really have to concentrate 100% of the time, tough to do when you are still wating for your Roadangel to arrive, the other negative is the amount of noise from the tyres, it is unbelievable. Its a good job Subaru provide you with such a high quality stereo to drown out the noise (NOT). Other niggles are petty, not all the switches are illuminated at night, there is no rheostat on the instruments, no headlamp wash.The paint that IM use in this country must be an emulsion I swear you can see through it in places, but I do love the colour Crystal Grey. The only other concern is MPG, low 20's is good but you only live once.

The positives are;
Its easy to drive under 4000rpm, my Mum could drive this around town and think its lovely (ignoring the suspension). when you get above 4000 rpm then its quick, seriously quick, if you can get through the gear box fast enough you can, I reckon cope with any other four wheeled vehicle on the road. From 4000-6500 in any gear is in my limited experience, what driving is about. The best quote I have heard about this model is " Overtaking for Idiots" It is but it is much more as well, the cornering ability is frankly unbelivable, turn in is razor sharp, find the apex, feed in some power and on to the next one. Its like indoor karting outside!
I don't know what to do about PPP I think in the new year we will see what Prodrive come up with and make a decision when I am better aquainted with things.

I don't know how much of my experience is coloured by my not really having quick cars before but I think most people who drive one of these cars will be impressed, I have a friend who is a Police Class One driver he has driven it and he wants one! Another friend has an E55 AMG and he thinks this is much more fun to drive but reckons his car is quicker.

Pete
Old 21 November 2004, 02:15 AM
tenno
Scooby Newbie

Best get me finger out and get it run in.I agree about the firm ride,and the indoor karting analogy thats how it feels to me. Can't say I've noticed excessive tyre noise-perhaps I've not been going quick enough?
Old 21 November 2004, 03:46 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Many thanks for the information so far guys...... it's all good stuff!

If I am to get one it makes sense to get the MY05 as it has the DCCD. Simon (the other webbie) has it on his Type R and it makes me giggle everytime he uses it.

Are the UK MY05 STi's still got the Scooby Burbble? As I am aware the JDM ones have equal length headers, so no burbble.

Ian,
Very true..... but 500+bhp and RWD doesnt go down too well with my underpants.

Regards,
Shaun.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the MY05 STi TYPE UK