Sponsored by:

Warranty Question..

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2004, 09:16 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Question..

Apologies if this isn't the right area to post this, but hoping you can help a newbie

What sort of 'fiddling' do dealers tolerate before they tell you that your warranty has been invalidated??

A lot of you guys have brand/almost new motors that have been seriously modded, and I imagine that the warranties have been voided, but was there a point to which you were able to mod before the dealer said "No more!!"?? Or as soon as you lift the bonnet do they serimoniously tear up your warranty book??!!

Because of my mileage (30k+ per annum) I really need the warranty in place for as long as poss, as I will probably keep this car for three years.

I'm not looking at anything drastic at the mo (the weekend car has wiped out "modding funds" for some months to come ) but I thought that a new back box would release a couple of vital gee-gee's, and free up some of that sound that we all love so

Also, I'm looking at the scoobysport jobbie, what other alternative boxes (if any) should I be considering? Car is a 54 plate WRX.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Last edited by S11EPS; 18 November 2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 18 November 2004, 09:29 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The only performance mod you can do and keep your warranty is fitting the PPP pack from your dealer. You can obvioulsy purchase extras like wheels etc from your dealer too, but put any after market parts on your car and your dealer will not be happy.....
Most serious modders realise their warranty is long gone the day they start tinkering. A good portion of these people reap the benefit by buying cheaper euro imports in the first place.
Old 18 November 2004, 09:48 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I had Scoobysport back box fitted and recently had clutch replaced under warranty after it started making a strange noise (at 44k as well!). Did not seem to be a problem. Never mentioned or refered to when I have had it serviced in the past, but some people have had problems. Guess it depends upon what mods, the dealer (and how much you spend there ) and what goes wrong.
Old 18 November 2004, 05:08 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The garage I spoke to (Westaway near Northampton) said back boxes are OK 'cos they don't do anything, but you will kill the warranty if you change any other part of the exhaust. The sales guy involved (so, yes, he may not be telling the truth) said the make of new backbox didn't matter. But to a large extent I would assume it's down to the individual garage.

M
Old 18 November 2004, 05:10 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
The garage I spoke to (Westaway near Northampton) said back boxes are OK 'cos they don't do anything, but you will kill the warranty if you change any other part of the exhaust. The sales guy involved (so, yes, he may not be telling the truth) said the make of new backbox didn't matter. But to a large extent I would assume it's down to the individual garage.

M
Don't believe this guy!