Sponsored by:

Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2004, 04:45 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror

I was just having a looking at the US options available over there and noticed this among a few others. Has anyone fitted one here or an aftermarket equivalent?

The Mrs has one in her fat a*sed Megane and it was mentioned along with the WRX’s lack of keyless door entry card, missing rear wiper and having to use the key to open the boot.

I know, I know!

DBB.
Old 15 November 2004, 04:55 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

No but a bloody good idea, I always seem to get stuck in front of some dick with poorly aligned headlights that blind ya!
Old 16 November 2004, 11:22 PM
PilotDan05
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I've got it on both my STI and our VW Touareg. Works fine, dims down at night time when someone is following you. The Touareg also has dimming wing mirrors, which is very useful given that they are the size of tea trays! (and whistle badly on the M-way! as does the roofrack spoiler thing - but still a top car!)

Both the Subaru and VW option comes with Homelink which is a natty little button that you can program with your garage door opener so you dont have to fumble around for the opener evrytime you come home.

It was a free option when I bought mine. But I dont think I would bother paying for it, particulalry at UK prices.

As for the Megane.... it might have push button start and a card instead of a key, but that doesnt make up for it being:

a. French
b. Crap
and c. built of plastic and old bagettes. (although if I am honest the suspensions not bad for a cheap car).

sorry.
Old 17 November 2004, 11:31 AM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PilotDan05
As for the Megane.... it might have push button start and a card instead of a key, but that doesnt make up for it being:

a. French
b. Crap
and c. built of plastic and old bagettes. (although if I am honest the suspensions not bad for a cheap car).

sorry.
Slag it off 'cause its made by cheese eating surrender monkeys - that I have no problem with! I know it's got a poor build reputation but we've had absolutely no build issues whatsoever in six months and 10,000 miles. I was very impressed with it and then read all the slagging it got in our press - very odd as it doesn't reflect personal experience. MINI's have a very good public perception - but I've had two and the build quality is to the UK's highest standard - i.e. utter crap.

The Megane is actually a pretty practical family car - we've got the a 120bhp diesel Priviledge model which has toys aplenty (speed sensitive 7 disc cd player, fingertip stereo controls, folding mirrors, card entry system, autodimming mirrors etc...) and looks quite nice in black with the pale coloured part leather interior and dash.

Ok, I appreciate that on American roads you absolutely must have an SUV or be branded an unpatriotic Commie bender - it's the law over there isn't it?

;-)

The Toe-Rag ain't that ugly really - much better that the piggy Porsche. 'If you absolutely must have a 4x4 there is only one choice - RANGE ROVER' - said in Jeremy Clarkson voice.

DBB.

PS. This doesn't help me get an autodimming one in my WRX though!