Sponsored by:

Don't new generation WRX drivers acknowledge Classic shapes anymore

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 10:55 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Don't new generation WRX drivers acknowledge Classic shapes anymore

I drive a Classic shape 1995 WRX Jap Import... when I am driving around I love to see other WRX owners on the road because it makes me happy inside to see other Scooby drivers...

But sometimes I get the impression, especially recently that 'new generation' WRX drivers don't acknowledge me any more... in my 'Classic' shape...

Most of the time, other Scooby drivers give the 'thumbs up', or what I call 'the little scooby wave'... or even a quick flick of the headlights...

I think I feel that the classic shape is a thing of the past and new gen drivers look down upon this...

I hope I am wrong and just being super sensitive
Old 13 November 2004, 11:08 PM
DPat
Scooby Regular

I had a WR1 totally refuse to acknowledge me (south Glasgow area) this PM (in my Spec c), but l8r one was only too happy after I'd ripped past him (Newbury - driven a bit today)

DPat
Old 13 November 2004, 11:10 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

I always wave be it classic or newage end of the day there all scoobies
newage WRX
Old 13 November 2004, 11:10 PM
yoza
BANNED

I never flash or wave to Classic shaped scoobs, just in case its Julian.
Old 13 November 2004, 11:15 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by adeel.a
I drive a Classic shape 1995 WRX Jap Import... when I am driving around I love to see other WRX owners on the road because it makes me happy inside to see other Scooby drivers...

But sometimes I get the impression, especially recently that 'new generation' WRX drivers don't acknowledge me any more... in my 'Classic' shape...

Most of the time, other Scooby drivers give the 'thumbs up', or what I call 'the little scooby wave'... or even a quick flick of the headlights...

I think I feel that the classic shape is a thing of the past and new gen drivers look down upon this...

I hope I am wrong and just being super sensitive
i wave at all scoobys and those that dont "shame on you!"
Old 13 November 2004, 11:17 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

my first scoob was a classic
now drive a blobeye
always acknowledge all scoob's
budgie
Old 13 November 2004, 11:19 PM
steppers
Scooby Regular

strange that cos i always seem to feel its the other way round
Old 13 November 2004, 11:55 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Agree with steppers, I get less response from "classic" owners than WRX or STi's...but also been ignored by 3 STi's in the last week after changing from an 03STi PPP to 05 WRX (PPP soon).

On the M4 today got a wave and thumbs up from passenger and driver in an EVO as they over took me ( still running mine in, otherwise I'd have ad em ), whilst totally blanked by a classic wagon....scooby snobbery me thinks (flame suit on)

Gareth
Old 14 November 2004, 12:24 AM
bungler
Scooby Regular

Got a classic sport had it for 6 months getting blanked by just about everyone very one,few returns on waves and flashes ,still carry on regaurdless.Never know some one might actually see me one day.
Old 14 November 2004, 12:27 AM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

i always wave no matter what version you drive.
Old 14 November 2004, 12:36 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Default A Classic View.

With reference to new-age waving to classics:-
This is something that I have also noticed when in my 95 WRX Wagon. Not all, but most new-age Scooby drivers treat me as invisible (the stealth Wagon again !!). I see a blob-eye nearly every day in my son's school driveway, even alongside me she just will not look at me. I know that my car is old, (so am I) but there doesn't seem to be the interest from new-age drivers in acknowledging the classics, this has been said many times on Scooby Net. A lot of classics will be driven by newbies getting their first Scooby experience, a wave returned gives a great feeling of cameraderie.
Come on you new-age drivers, give us a wave and remember the days of your first Scoob.

Old proverb :- The smile that you send out returns to you.

With reference to classics waving at new-age:-
Maybe classic owners expect to get no wave-back so they don't bother looking at new-age??

I think that all Scoob drivers should wave at each other, no matter what model they drive, then there would be no need for threads like this.

Events like the Blackpool Big One proved that we can all unite as drivers of one of the most distinguished cars on the road whether it be classic or new-age.

Big-G

Last edited by Big-G; 14 November 2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 14 November 2004, 12:42 AM
King RA
BANNED

new age = w4nkers
classic = hello *waving*

I think that sums it up
Old 14 November 2004, 01:23 AM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

new age = quite tossers

I've had one new age guy wave and see plenty of them...
Old 14 November 2004, 01:45 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big-G
she just will not look at me
The answer is there. I've never once had a wave from a Scooby girlie Even when my own G/F is in the car, if I wave at someone I get called "sad". I ask her which is the saddest, a world full of people deliberately isolating themselves and fearing social communication, or a world of pleasant greetings and mutual respect ? I'd rather belong to a COMMUNITY thanks, and I drive a blobeye
Old 14 November 2004, 07:03 AM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
new age = w4nkers
classic = hello *waving*

I think that sums it up
Don't you think many "New Age W4ankers" previously owned a classic then?

I had a MY99 and EVERYONE waved, but there weren't so many around then. I always try to wave in my MY04 wagon, but rarely get one back - from both classics and "New Age W4ankers"

I must admit I have passed a few newer models in traffic without spotting them until too late. I think the newer models don't stand out in the same way. For me the thing that always used to attract my attention was the bonnet vents, as you don't always see the scoop in a line of traffic.

And King RA - outside, sunshine.
Old 14 November 2004, 09:04 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never noticed any real difference: around here only about in in five waves back no matter which model. But one possible reason is, owners of newage are more likely to see it as "just a car" compared with the enthusiasm of owners of classics.

M

(Bugeye owner who waves at scoobs).
Old 14 November 2004, 09:08 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I wave at very scooby (with the exception of GL's )

Most people I know seem to prefer the Classic. Had my old next door neighbour (who owns a new age WRX) say how my car was the one he really wanted (MY97 UK Turbo)....I offered it to him for 10k
Old 14 November 2004, 09:47 AM
shkuby
Scooby Regular

Smile I know the answer ;)

Impreza has become very popular car and easily available. As a result some people buy a car just for what it is. Many of this group are new generation drivers who have probably been choosing from a list of family/performance cars and decided on scooby because of looks, technical specification and price - not because of scooby community (they might not even know of such community). Because this group are not what you would call "drivers-enthusiasts" and are not into scooby related things like meets, scoobynet, tuning, etc., it probably annoys them to see people waving, flashing, etc. At the end of the day they paid money for a nice car and got together with it a rather LARGE EXTENDED FAMILY.

Sergei (MY98, happy to belong to this extended family; always acknowledge scoobies, but have to say that response rate is much higher from classics)
Old 14 November 2004, 09:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed a guy waving at me yesterday, i was stuck in traffic and didnt see him till he'd virtually passed
BUT, i find that the biggest ignorance doesnt come from new age cars but from classics, especially the older classics (not everyone though just the chavs) whom seem to think that your weird waving to them.

Tony
Old 14 November 2004, 09:58 AM
jonnie c
Scooby Regular

Talking

I wave at every scoob I see and I reckon that I only get a wave back from about 50% of them. I find that the new breed of classic owners are just as bad for not waving as all newage owners.

Bugeye WRX
Old 14 November 2004, 10:21 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

i *always* wave in my 03 ... at every scoob regardless of spec

- mark.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:51 AM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

I always wave to all scoobies, no matter what year they are, but as previously said, there are a lot of people who have them for what they are, and have know idea of the "extended family".
Keep on wavin
Old 14 November 2004, 10:57 AM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Smile The intrusion zone...

[QUOTE=shkuby]Impreza has become very popular car and easily available. As a result some people buy a car just for what it is. Many of this group are new generation drivers who have probably been choosing from a list of family/performance cars and decided on scooby because of looks, technical specification and price - not because of scooby community (they might not even know of such community). Because this group are not what you would call "drivers-enthusiasts" and are not into scooby related things like meets, scoobynet, tuning, etc., it probably annoys them to see people waving, flashing, etc. At the end of the day they paid money for a nice car and got together with it a rather LARGE EXTENDED FAMILY.

I think there is definatley an element of truth in this case; because on my road trips, I have seen that it is the 'older' generation of driver that does not seem to respond a much as the younger generation... (but where you draw the line for young and old, you decide).

I don't see many lady scooby drivers, but never forget them when I do... there was one that couldn't be more happy to see another scooby... she was waving and flashing... her lights!!! It was great... on the way to and from Kingston one morning...

The other is one that comes from the Raynes Park direction towards New Malden round about assuming on the way home from work... I was really happy to get the response when I flicked my lights... but her car is next to none... its awsome, its the new shape fully done and looks, sounds, stands just like the real rally version... the sound... wow...

I saw her first when I was cycling home this summer (yes I am also a cyclist, gotta do something to keep fit) but a safe one at that... I have not got a habit og hitting cars while on the road and am very careful because I like the way I am at the moment... in one piece...

But this is an interesting discussion, hopefully this will help the 'scooby community' get over the intrusion zone of acknoledging eachother on the road...
Old 14 November 2004, 11:00 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I preferred to concentrate on the road ahead rather than watching out for other scoobs to be honest. and it's a bit geeky
Old 14 November 2004, 11:44 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

I always wave/and or flash at every scoob i see,sometimes get a bizzarre look from some oap driving there 1.6ts but generally get more waves/flash's from new-age cars then classics

mark
Old 14 November 2004, 11:46 AM
willipdarling
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnie c
I wave at every scoob I see and I reckon that I only get a wave back from about 50% of them. I find that the new breed of classic owners are just as bad for not waving as all newage owners.

Bugeye WRX
I aint seen anyone waving at me in my sport? I will be lookin a lot harder now tho after reading this thread!
Old 14 November 2004, 12:08 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Smudge
Don't you think many "New Age W4ankers" previously owned a classic then?

I had a MY99 and EVERYONE waved, but there weren't so many around then. I always try to wave in my MY04 wagon, but rarely get one back - from both classics and "New Age W4ankers"

I must admit I have passed a few newer models in traffic without spotting them until too late. I think the newer models don't stand out in the same way. For me the thing that always used to attract my attention was the bonnet vents, as you don't always see the scoop in a line of traffic.

And King RA - outside, sunshine.
It hurts my eyes
Old 14 November 2004, 01:12 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I've had a MY05 for 5 weeks now and have only seen 2 other scoobs to aknowledge neither of which replied and both classics!
Old 14 November 2004, 01:20 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I had a great days spotting yesterday, with very friendly waves back too
Old 14 November 2004, 01:26 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

TBH I still find it much easier to pick out classics than the new age cars.

Quick Reply: Don't new generation WRX drivers acknowledge Classic shapes anymore