Sponsored by:

Why no Legacy Turbo for Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 05:38 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no Legacy Turbo for Europe?

Have had a look at the new Legacy Spec B and love the car except that the 3 litre engine is very weedy compared to the Forester 2.5 XT which is 0-60 in six seconds (claimed) compared to the 6.5 secs (claimed) for the Legacy but Autocar could only get 7.2 secs from it last week (which is frankly embarrassing).

Anyway: Why is there no Legacy Turbo in Europe like the rest of the world?

My Subaru contact says it's because they can't get the emissions down and the crash test results with the 2.5 engine aren't great.

I find it hard to believe that Subaru can't get a fast version of the car into Europe.

Anyone have the real reason?
Old 08 November 2004, 08:38 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Now that the Forester has the 2.5 turbo it obviously passes emissions regs, maybe if enough people request it then the turbo will appear in the Legacy.

The Legacy won rave reviews in Oz for its crash test ratings, something like the best car that had ever been tested in its class, and they comply to the exact same standards as our NCAP tests.

Autocar = the beano of motoring mags, all the quality mags tested it at 6.5 to 60, maybe the car was not run in etc.

I've had WRX's, STi's and currently a 2.5SE Legacy, but I pick up a Spec B on Wednesday and thought it was a superb all round car. There's more to a good car than performance figures printed in a rag.
Old 08 November 2004, 09:51 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Speak to International Motors.

Its been nearly ten years since they imported the last 'official' Legacy Turbo. I've heard so many reasons / excuses given over the years, but I still reckon its down to how much money they can make out of them.

At least we have some 'half decent' performing Legacies now - lets hope they sell what they expect to then in a couple of years they will bring the turbo in to kickstart the Legacy range again (it will be mid-life by then).

The 93K Legacy Turbo ( owned from 95-97) is still one of my all-time favourites.
Old 09 November 2004, 04:27 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

I just looked back and Autocar seems to be the only mag that has strapped on the GPS gear and got a true 0-60 of 7.2 seconds.

Evo and CAR magazine printed th Subaru claimed 6.5 second speed.