STI PPP Powerband?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2004, 09:59 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI PPP Powerband?

Hi everyone, just got a quick query.

There is much talk of powerbandsm and some have claimed the evo has a bigger powerband than a scoob, but I'm not sure I fully understand what this means.

For example, I have an 02 sti with ppp, does anyone know what the powerband should be?

Oh yes, and what does it actually mean???
Old 07 November 2004, 12:34 AM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

116 views and no replies?!

The powerband is the area in the rev range where the power is building to and at it's peak. Probably between 4k and 6k on an STI PPP.

Or something like that. I could've probably explained it better but I'm tired!
Old 07 November 2004, 06:35 AM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jaycee! Means a bit more to me now. I take it with a scoob it is when the turbo is in action? Or perhaps even more precise than that, its when its doing its stuff most effectively?

119 views with one response, what a great hit rate! Its probably the title which led everyone to believe it was about something else completely.

After all, why on earth would a thread entitled 'STI PPP Powerband?' be asking about the powerband of an STi with PPP?

Oh well, it was late, I guess everyone must have been too tired to answer!
Old 07 November 2004, 08:31 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

As jaycee says. People talk about peak power was to a degree is just pub talk as you need to look at the spread of power and torque across the rev range.

You can have a high peak power at a give rev but low power else where or you can have a lower peak power but it is substained across the rev range - the two cars will drive very differently.

When people refer to the "power band" they refer to the subjective feeling of how quick the car can accelerate at different rev ranges - a combination of power and torque.

The standard STI has a narrow power band, regardless of gear if you are below 4K not a lot happens, clearly the car accelerates but relatively (this is also key it is not an absolute measurement) slowly then as you go beyond 4K it suddenly picks up speed until again fading beyond 6K. So if on it you need to keep the car in this narrow rev range 4 to 6K which is why it has a six speed box

This problem is mainly caused by the work needed to meet emission laws, as an after market add PPP gets around someone of these restrictions - changes the exhaust/filters a remap on the ECU and lets the engine breath probably allowing it to have a wider power band probably (based on the short test i had) 3K to 6.5K

Don't know how it compares to a EVO.

You can look at the power / Torque curves and get a generally feel but as i say it is more a subjective measurement.
Old 07 November 2004, 12:34 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

Cheers bluepolarbear, as it happens I didn't get much chance to play around and try and identify the powerband, went to Santa Pod today, but it was rained off.

Gives me something to investigate another day though
Old 07 November 2004, 02:06 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Here's a link to the Prodrive website with a power/torque curve for the MY02 STi PPP:

http://www.prodrive.com/uploads/02MY%20STi%20PPP.pdf

The 'power band' is the part of the torque curve (in red) which is most horizontal (between 3500-6000 revs).

D.
Old 07 November 2004, 05:59 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

DJB, cheers for that, makes for interesting reading. Only prob is it states it shoudl do the standing quarter in 13.44 secs, my best so far is 13.6!

I'd best get practicing with those gear changes at 6000rpm!