Sponsored by:

What a day!

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2000, 10:18 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I finally picked it up yesterday. A bit of an adventure to say the least!!

Myself, blubs and Maxwell departed in good spirits at 05:00, expecting an easy, pleasurable day. But oh no, it wasn't to be.

Upon checking in at Speke with easyJet, they seemed unable to find our details. After much grumbling about booking flights on the internet and saying how crap easyJet were, I was duly informed that we had turned up24 hours too late for our flight!!! Horror!! I checked my confirmation, and lo and behold, I had booked the flights for the wrong day!!

"We're not going to be able to get there", went through my mind, "What a d1ckhead" was another thought, which by the looks on my companions and the easyJets faces was a common thought!!! Luckily, there were plenty of spare seats, so I was told that we could go on this flight "for a charge".

The miserable b@stards charged my £270 for three more tickets on top of what I'd already paid!!!

At least we got to fly! Anyway, things were bound to go smoothly then, weren't they? Alas, life isn't like that. After arranging to picked up at Rotterdam station at a certain time, the train did not arrive at Schipol. It wasn't just late, it never arrived!!! More phone calls, and we get it sorted, eventually.

The next bit of the day was undoubtedly the best. Picking up my car from the dealer. What a top guy! Very laid back, helpful, informative. I would certainly recommend him to anyone who wishes to import. There were 10 turbos there, six of them for UK customers. He certainly knows which side his bread is buttered on, and he makes UK dealers look like the complete tw@ts that they are. And his car is a very nice piece of kit!!!!

The journey home, surely would be trouble free? Well, considering blubs motorsport history, I would have expected a bit of better navigation! Oh well, at least we got to see bits of Holland I wouldn't have otherwise!!

Those lovely people at HM customs seemed very interested in us. Three lads, unregistered car, day trip to Holland, no luggage. "Drugs up your **** sir?" was waht he wanted to say, but he wasn't quite so blunt in the end. Eventually managed to persuade him we were kosher, and we were Blighty bound.

Finally arrived home at 22:45, 572 miles to the good, after being stuck on the M25, M40 and any other bloody road you care to mention.

To sum it up, great day, great company, great car. Avery big thanks to blubs and Maxwell - couldn't have done it without you.

For those of you who are unsure of whether to import or not, I can thouroughy recommend it. Big savings and a bit of fun to boot.

Now only 419 miles until it's run in...................

Geezer

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited 04 August 2000).]
Old 04 August 2000, 01:36 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Angry

I rang my local VRO this morning to inquire as to what I need to provide to register my new car.

I was told the usual, Certificate of Conformity, Insurance, Invoice, proof of use abroad, tickets etc.

Do I need the car?

No was the answer.

After queueing for three quarters of an hour, I get, "You don't need all that documentation, it's brand new" They then proceed to ask for documentation previously unmentioned, which luckily I had taken along just in case, and then to see the car!!!!

When I said that I had been told that very morning that I didn't need to take the car, his reply was, "well they are wrong. We have to see all imports now" Doh! WHat a waste of time. Bloody beauracracy!!!!

Geezer
Old 04 August 2000, 01:39 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Glad it worked out - the way your day was going you were probably worried it wouldn't be at the dealers.

Get those 1000 miles done - and enjoy!
Old 04 August 2000, 01:58 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Geezer,
Sorry to hear about your problem with EasyJet (The world of Orange). Was it a simple mistake on your part? or was it there mistake in the booking? A few people off here has seemed to have problems with them... but in general they are normally good.
You get what you pay for with airlines, and more and more smaller airlines coming up cheaper because the market has a demand for them - i.e small BA airlines suchas Brymen. They are in general normally very good (I will hopefully end up with someone like them while i use them as a stepping stone to BA or Virgin) If you pay the price for a proper BA flight then you get the platinum treatment.
Anyway, nice to hear you got your car...
Ian
Old 04 August 2000, 01:59 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Cheers Geezer, it really was my pleasure, besides a quick stop to fill up with cheap wine makes up for the chump on the maps!!!

Interesting to note.......the dealer did say he had taken lots of orders for Impreza 'The next generation' from UK customers. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I think
Old 04 August 2000, 03:29 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Geezer,

The pleasure was all ours. Your little face as we pulled up to the dealer was well worth the trip alone (bless ya!)

On the getting lost note. I spent most of my rallying life driving. I left the navigating to people who found it difficult to be competitive, which is why Max so successfully took over

All My Fondest

blubs