Sponsored by:

Insurance have offered me £12k -

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 09:26 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance have offered me £12k -

Keep it unemotive and realistic guys (God knows I'm trying hard!!!) is £12k a fair offer for the loss of below car? It is their first offer -

Car : Subaru Impreza WRX STI Version 5.

Mileage : 31,440

MOT: Expires Aug 2005

Condition : Always garaged and in an absolutely immaculate A1 cherished condition. HALF usual mileage and FSH

Owners : 1 only

‘Stoptech’ front brake kit
Scoobysport stainless steel full exhaust system
17” Oz Turini GOLD Alloy Wheels
TOTAL ADDED MARKET VALUE 'new' - £2352.33

4 new tyres with less than 1500 miles use
Very recent maintenance bill of £680.37

NEED TO DECIDE ASAP AS THEY HAVE ME BY THE GOOLIES!!!

Last edited by Diesel; 29 October 2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 29 October 2004, 09:30 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Autotrader have STI V's at around 13.5 to 14K
Old 29 October 2004, 09:37 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I'd say it's fair, but they aren't going to give you a first offer at or over what it's really worth, else they wouldn't make money. See if you can argue (calmly ) that it's worth more and find supporting evidence that will help your cause.

Have a look round www.pistonheads.com, www.autotrader.co.uk and www.findit.co.uk to look for comparative prices as a starter.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:21 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

You need to look at a few things - what the car is worth without any of the extra's as insurance companies don't car if you have gold plated seats - the standard car is all they'll go for. Mileage also pretty much irreleavnt, totally immaculate - irrelevant. 4 new tyres - irrelevant. Addred market value -= irrelevant.
Sorry to be blunt, but basically, when they insure your car they insure a standard car. As we know, there are no changes for colour, amount of wear left on tyres etc, so the fact you happened to have just put on new ones means nothing. You need to forget about any of the extra's (in all honesty) and get, as the chaps have said, a trade value for the standard car and argue that. They should be willing to negotiate so you need to start there. This way you can give them proof of whatyour car should be worth, not anything else that may have added to the value.

Then you have a chance of increasing it - extra's, I'm afraid, mean nothing...
Old 29 October 2004, 10:31 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - blunt and real is good!!! Have printed out the pricier ones from Autotrader and am belling them back with these ready to fax!
Old 29 October 2004, 10:37 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Where is the car at present?

Do you have the original bits you can bolt back on?

Is it worth buying back from the insurance Co and breaking it?

BTW they almost expect you to refuse the 1st offer these days - act insulted!

Good luck
Old 29 October 2004, 11:42 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyyid
You need to look at a few things - what the car is worth without any of the extra's as insurance companies don't car if you have gold plated seats - the standard car is all they'll go for. Mileage also pretty much irreleavnt, totally immaculate - irrelevant. 4 new tyres - irrelevant. Addred market value -= irrelevant.
Sorry to be blunt, but basically, when they insure your car they insure a standard car. As we know, there are no changes for colour, amount of wear left on tyres etc, so the fact you happened to have just put on new ones means nothing. You need to forget about any of the extra's (in all honesty) and get, as the chaps have said, a trade value for the standard car and argue that. They should be willing to negotiate so you need to start there. This way you can give them proof of whatyour car should be worth, not anything else that may have added to the value.

Then you have a chance of increasing it - extra's, I'm afraid, mean nothing...

Well, if extras mean nothing, how come I have to pay 300 pounds extra per year in insurance for my back box? Where does all this money go?

Trending Topics

Old 29 October 2004, 11:52 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

As far as whether the extra bits add value to the car or their compensation is concerned surely that's down to whether the mods were declared and added to the policy.

As I understand it, companies like L&V cover cars with mods, but don't necessarily cover the mods, so all you'd expect to get back is the value of the standard car, but other policies (hopefully including mine) cover the mods, so I'd expect to receive enough to purchase a replacement car and mods.

Anyway, regardless of that, I would think that the least you'll be after is the cost to replace it, ie £13-14k

As for the bits Jay, I don't think the nice men that lifted it from the airport carpark have sent them back.

Josh
Old 29 October 2004, 11:52 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

You pay more for insurance as the car has been modified from standard and are therefore classed as a higher risk. In addition you have also increased the performance of the car and hence an additional premium. Most insurance companies will have a caveat in the contract that will exclude modified parts being replaced or priced inthe event of an accident /write off etc.
Old 29 October 2004, 11:55 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
You pay more for insurance as the car has been modified from standard and are therefore classed as a higher risk. In addition you have also increased the performance of the car and hence an additional premium. Most insurance companies will have a caveat in the contract that will exclude modified parts being replaced or priced inthe event of an accident /write off etc.
My company have covered like for like ScoobySport Zorst, ICE etc

I'm with Direct Line (and they were the cheapest!!)

Dan
Old 29 October 2004, 11:55 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Worthwhile going back to them with a figure, say 14k, they can then haggle you down to a compromise, otherwise you may find they wear you down with £200 increments.
Old 29 October 2004, 12:10 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

My insurer L&V dont load the policy for mods... I verified this when checking ins for the replacement which has mods too (of course). Sitting tight with all faxed off - thanks for the interest and advice guys, very much appreciated.
Old 29 October 2004, 12:18 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by Josh L
As for the bits Jay, I don't think the nice men that lifted it from the airport carpark have sent them back.

Josh
Ah! didn't realise it had disappeared...

A friends Lreg maestro was stolen never to be seen again, it that case they were glad it wasn't recovered.

Again, good luck with the outcome
Old 29 October 2004, 12:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Sorry to hear that your car was not recovered, mate. That really sucks. Based on the info you have given, I'd imagine you'd be offered between 13.5 and 14k from a keen buyer in a private sale. 12K seems a bit low, but then it is their first offer and I'm sure they'll increase it after you've flashed some paperwork about.

Best of luck.
Old 29 October 2004, 12:53 PM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

autotrader prices are a good way to go -

thats what i used when the offered me ****-all for my first car. Essentially they should be offering you what it would cost you to obtain a replacement vehicle with average condtition/miles for that sort of car. the "trade" value isnt the right one as your couldnt be reasonably expected to source a similar car for that price. All I did was provide them with printouts from autotrader.co.uk of similar cars - all that were priced over what they had offered for mine and they coughed up.