Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitters, Tilt kits and earthing mods??????

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 03:59 PM
RB5DOCC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Splitters, Tilt kits and earthing mods??????

First forgive me if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to post it.

But i have seen quite a few threads, usally refering to pre MY00 cars, on Scoop slitters, intercooler tilt kits and engine earthing kits.
All seem to be cheat and easy mods that seem to increase power and efficiency etc, etc....

I am amazed though that non of the meny parts suppliers or tuners seem to stock or advertise these items.

Which beg the question, Why??

Do these things actually work or are they unproven gimmics which couldn't be sold?

Just wanted peoples veiws on this, what do u think?
Old 25 October 2004, 06:57 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5DOCC
First forgive me if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to post it.

But i have seen quite a few threads, usally refering to pre MY00 cars, on Scoop slitters, intercooler tilt kits and engine earthing kits.
All seem to be cheat and easy mods that seem to increase power and efficiency etc, etc....

I am amazed though that non of the meny parts suppliers or tuners seem to stock or advertise these items.

Which beg the question, Why??

Do these things actually work or are they unproven gimmics which couldn't be sold?

Just wanted peoples veiws on this, what do u think?
the theory behind all of the above sounds workable and i believe tests have prooved all do work.

i've got a splitter fitted and can i tell any difference? um...no. that's not to say it doesn't help just doesn't make a noticable difference.

if it helps the running of the car why not? the earthing kit is next on my shoppping list when i can be arsed to buy it
Old 25 October 2004, 07:26 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure that some people do produce intercooler splitter kits - e.g. I think APS do one to go with their own TMIC.

I also have the feeling I've seen an earth mod kit somewhere (HKS, maybe?). However, this is one mod where the value is debatable on new cars (seems - by anecdotal evidence only - to be of more benefit on older cars where existing earth connections have degraded a bit), which might explain why few tuners have picked up on it.

Haven't seen an intercooler tilt kit - but that's only applicable to certain models, and is a relatively small gain compared to replacing with an uprated TMIC or FMIC - both of which are available from numerous suppliers.
Old 25 October 2004, 07:35 PM
freshtripe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5DOCC
Zero Sports do an intercooler splitter - check out: http://www.dhcars.co.uk/

HKS do an earthing mod - you could probably pick one of these up from Sumo Power?

I think the reason that they are not more popular with suppliers is the fact that you can make them yourself for a fraction (1/20th!) of the retail cost...

P.S. I've got a homemade splitter + tilt kit - not sure how well they work, but practically free!
Old 26 October 2004, 10:20 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

There was and still is a group buy for an intercooler splitter / tilt kit going on at the moment. Ive just fitted it and the car seems to be a bit happier, not sure though i havent had much time to test really.

What are the benefits of an earthing mod?
Old 26 October 2004, 10:29 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard earths on slightly older cars are pretty shocking.

Benefits of the mod are supposed to include smoother running and better response (throttle?).

Have heard the benefits likened to driving your car on a cold misty morning.

Am looking into this for my MY00
Old 26 October 2004, 02:42 PM
RB5DOCC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyones opinions, i will have to look at the group buy for the tilt and splitter kits, as they do sound interesting as subaru have made these changes on newer models.

Looked at some of the links and companies mentioned aswell. Just suprised that they are all Japan based racing and tuning firms and non in the UK. Again makes me wonder why these things sell in the US and Japan and not here. With splitter kits and earthing mods upto £150 each, maybe a business opportunity i think.

I am interested to know more about the earthing mod. I have noticed that some earth the ECU and starter motor and some dont. If the body is earthed (Suspension turrets) why is more required on the ECU?