Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At this rate it will only be worth about £1K in two years!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2004, 12:01 AM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry At this rate it will only be worth about £1K in two years!!!!

I'm normally a very placid person BUT!

We decided to sell our 52 plate WRX (leaving Subarus for a while) and after having no luck privately decided to PX it or sell to a dealer
Brief spec:
WR Blue, 1 owner, UK car, 21000 miles, FSH
UK 300 front and rear spoliers, coded skirts, Morretes, STI8 wheels, Eibachs, Prodrive B box

Absolutley Immaculate condition

Anyway
BMW Dealer offered 10K - politley declined!

Subaru DEALER 1 - PX variable depending on model purchased £11 - £12500, said would put it up at £14995 due to condition and spec. Not willing to buy outright due to high stock level.

Subaru dealer 2 offered 11K to buy outright - said would have it on forecourt at 12995 despite having standard higher mileage and older bugeyes at 13500 +

None of the dealers found any faults at all and both scoob dealers said it was good enough to go straight on the forecourt without prep

I know new cars loose a lot and WRX's lost £550 last month alone in the CAP book.

Now I dont take these offers personally as business is business but if I take £11K for it there is at least £3K profit in the car which still has warranty so will not cost the dealer any additional cost.
Seems like a very good deal for the dealer

What do I do? Sell now at a loss of £10.5 K in 2 years or wait till next year when if it keeps going down at this rate will be worth about £5K!
Or keep trying privatley - Had no luck on here or Autotarder

Sometimes I wish I had no interest in cars!!!

Rant over

Stephen
Old 24 October 2004, 12:05 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

getting a poo price is bad but the longer you take to decide, the more the P/EX price goes down
Old 24 October 2004, 12:25 AM
steppers
Scooby Regular

sign of the times i reckon
just sold me mgf in a1 nick to a garage for 8500 and its on his website for 2k more WITHOUT the hardtop which will probably be on ebay for £500
not bad eh!
never even got a sniff privately
feel the same way as you
Old 24 October 2004, 12:29 AM
willipdarling
Scooby Regular

Wink Dealers suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know exactly how u fee. I bought my sport 18months agoo for a lot. a dealer offered me five for it when i was lookin at buyin a turbo model off him for 7k. Mine has just touched 20k and the l reg i was goin to buy had 30k on it. low mileage for car i know but he could sell mine for mebe 7.5k as it is immaculate. THEY TAKE BIG PPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE PPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE
Old 24 October 2004, 01:51 AM
Herb_93WRX
Scooby Regular

definately a buyers market the now, i'm tryiny to sell my sp1 and people are offering me a grand less than i know its worth.

problem is i know in the end i'll probably take it!! depressing stuff.
Old 24 October 2004, 02:20 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Book price is 12k tops as a trade-in.
All cars loose alot in the first year, a very sharp curve for the first 3 years.
Only a man with money to burn buys a new car then sells it after less than 3 years.
After 3 years most cars are worth 45-50% of the purchase price, Subarus, VW's, Audi's etc all within that bracket.

Dipster
Old 24 October 2004, 02:22 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

And another thing, you get nothing back on mods-it actually puts off most buyers.

Dipster
Old 24 October 2004, 09:26 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect bugeye prices are REALLY going to dive sometime in the next six months as the natural depreciation of blobeye prices drop brings them low enough for people to afford. Once more people can afford blobeyes (£16-17 seems standard ATM) then no-one will want a bug-eye unless priced just to get it off the forecourt.In about a year's time blobeye prices will probably be slightly inflated by demand and bugeye prices (at least for WRXes) will be ridiculously low. Sadly for those of us buying I also suspect that bugeye STi prices will stay bouyant. D*mn.

I should point out that one local dealer has had a 20k mile 02 WRX on sale since December last year, and they've still got it. Price has dropped from £15k to £13k and still no takers. OK, it's green, but still...

M
Old 24 October 2004, 09:47 AM
yoza
BANNED

Take the UK300 spoiler off it, and you will get a better response.

Are you reading this Mr Adams.

I have a MY01 WRX and I was offered £8500 PX against an Evo8.
I bit the salesmans hand off, obviously, but when he went to consult his sales manager to dot the I's and cross the T's, he was given a bo11ocking. He then offered me two balloons and a goldfish...I declined, didnt like the colour of the balloons.
Old 24 October 2004, 10:33 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Just part exchanged my MY04 WRX ( April 04 ) 23k, best price I got offered was £13.7 k and this was really £13 k as the price of the car I wanted was a little steep. Decided to try ebay, didnt even get a bid (£13,900 starting price no reserve ) so took up the part ex offer.

Just for your information the first question I got asked by everyone was 'is it a uk car' the said if it was an import it would be worth 2.5 - 3k less. Proving the point that imports are not cheaper in the long run.

So a loss of £6 k in six months, bad but no worse than any other I suppose. Lesson learnt, no more new cars for me !
Old 24 October 2004, 10:55 AM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

Just part-exed my standard UK-spec european import 01 WRX on a MY04 STI.
They gave me 9 grand for the WRX that was exactly 3 years old with 33000 on the clock. They said they wouldn't be able to sell it though for more than 8500. I think they just wanted to sell off the 04 STi's, so they gave me money off that too.
Old 24 October 2004, 11:23 AM
Bullet Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking Japs

[
Just for your information the first question I got asked by everyone was 'is it a uk car' the said if it was an import it would be worth 2.5 - 3k less. Proving the point that imports are not cheaper in the long run.

Imports are a lot cheaper in the first place though, for example i can get a very nice STi 8 V-Ltd Spec C from Japan for £16,750, here they are a whopping £21,500 to £23,000 so that is a saving of £5000 so it is all relative. Not to mention you can only get the V-Ltd Spec C from Japan so it has to be imported. Thus holding its value.
I also own a Sti Version 6 Type R V-Ltd, Sonic Blue absolutely gorgeous, mounted roof scoop, complete 22 B front end, it looks just like the 99 Rally car. This car has just been nearly sold for £14,750 as it is rare a rocking horse ****, but an import though and it was cheaper than that in Japan for me to buy. So it really is relative.

Mike ( who loves Jap Imports, slightly )
Old 24 October 2004, 02:13 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The secondhand car market is on its **** at the moment , to many cars on to many shop fronts = crap p-x prices ,its also never been easier to buy new the market is flooded with cars. I`ve had my jdm wrx nearly a year now god knows what its worth so I shall be keeping it for a while and at least have the pleasure of driving it. IME its a lot cheaper to buy new then keep it for a good few years but thats just IMO.
Old 24 October 2004, 02:29 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Its amazing how many people totally ignore future resale value when buying a car. They pay loads extra for a few more MPG even if they dont do many miles.

over 10k lost in 2years is bad, but you wont be loosing as much now, so why not just keep the car for a few more years? And as has been said, get it back to standard.

Thats why Ive been running 205 GTi's - loads of demand for good ones, so you dont really lose any money on them at all if you look after them. Dirt cheap to insure too.
Old 24 October 2004, 09:42 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Take the £11K offer IMO!

I got £10K trade in for a 3 1/2 YO bugeye recently which I thought was "reasonable" considering a new one could be got for somewhere around 18/19K.

Your car is now 3 model years old so how much do you think it's worth considering nobody in their right mind would pay any more than 11-12K for a bugeye from a dealer.

I know of 1 locally that's been sitting for over 3 months at £11.5K with all the right bits added,spoiler,18s etc. Having said that the stealer I traded mine into had it sold within a week to someone who didn't leave the garage till he had the finance/insurance sorted and took it with him.
Old 24 October 2004, 10:04 PM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Fair point BEW,
but none of the dealers I have been to have had similar cars for less than £14K +

If it does not sell on the for sale section by mid week the dealer will be rubbing his hands at an easy profit!

Stephen
Old 24 October 2004, 10:06 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

My old MY02 WRX which has 34000 miles on the clock has been up on the dealers forecourt for £14300 for nearly 4 months now!
Old 24 October 2004, 10:23 PM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
My old MY02 WRX which has 34000 miles on the clock has been up on the dealers forecourt for £14300 for nearly 4 months now!
How much did they give you for it? If you don't mind disclosing it.

Stephen
Old 24 October 2004, 10:47 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen F
How much did they give you for it? If you don't mind disclosing it.

Stephen
Just over the £13000 mark i think but i was changing it for a brand new Scoob so i guess they had a good margin to play with.
Old 24 October 2004, 11:12 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Take the UK300 spoiler off it, and you will get a better response.

Are you reading this Mr Adams.

I have a MY01 WRX and I was offered £8500 PX against an Evo8.
I bit the salesmans hand off, obviously, but when he went to consult his sales manager to dot the I's and cross the T's, he was given a bo11ocking. He then offered me two balloons and a goldfish...I declined, didnt like the colour of the balloons.
Was the goldfish dead?
Old 24 October 2004, 11:20 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you buy a new car you've got to keep it for four or five years to make it worthwhile IMHO
Old 25 October 2004, 12:40 AM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
If you buy a new car you've got to keep it for four or five years to make it worthwhile IMHO
True, which is why I am replacing it with a second hand car that has taken an even bigger hit than the scoob.

Makes me feel a little better and lesson well and truly learnt -

Do not buy a new car again!

Stephen
Old 25 October 2004, 09:21 AM
trubwrx
Scooby Regular

had the same decision to make recently.

WRX (MY 01) immaculate one owner condition with only 20K miles but was offered silly (low) money in part exchange.

decided to modify it, extend warranty and keep for another two years.

I worked on the basis that the modifications will cost less than the immediate depreciation on a new car and, providing I keep the original parts, I can return the car to original and sell it and the modifications separately.

Only time will prove me right or wronb - but that is life.
Old 25 October 2004, 02:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Stephen,

When I was looking around for a classsic, I saw a couple advertised in dealerships for 12.5k. Dealers are asking daft money for used scoobys and wonder why they're having trouble shifting them.

I'd stick with the private sector, particularly with those who are knowledgeable re. modifications. Have you tried the SIDC forums?

Best.

Best.
Old 25 October 2004, 02:51 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Fair point BEW,
but none of the dealers I have been to have had similar cars for less than £14K +

If it does not sell on the for sale section by mid week the dealer will be rubbing his hands at an easy profit!

Stephen
Easy profit?

You're just proving you have absolutely no idea how the motortrade works.

That £3000 difference you see will be about £1200 by the end if they are lucky...
Old 25 October 2004, 06:03 PM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C
Easy profit?

You're just proving you have absolutely no idea how the motortrade works.

That £3000 difference you see will be about £1200 by the end if they are lucky...

I admit I don't know how the trade works, I was just working off what I was offerred and what similar cars were on the forecourt
As the car still has warranty and I was told it required no work at all and would be put straight out for sale.

Please educate me on how it works and the costs involved as I genuinley do not know and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

Stephen
Old 25 October 2004, 06:13 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

My well modded MY01 was traded in January (Belgian Import).Subaru offered £11k trade but was told in no uncertain terms to kiss my rear portion as he wanted the car left as it was (all the mods).

I then took it to SAAB who offered £14.5k against the new 9-3ss Aero (£24k) his hand was removed to the shoulder,yes i got a great deal as the car new only cost me £16.4k and after 2 1/2 years was great but getting older and the trade in prices on Bugeyes was scary.

It would have been easier to sell a 2nd hand condom.I'm glad i sold when i did.

ps. the SAAB dealer shifted it with some mods but not all for £14k within 3 weeks.
Old 25 October 2004, 07:50 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I admit I don't know how the trade works, I was just working off what I was offerred and what similar cars were on the forecourt
As the car still has warranty and I was told it required no work at all and would be put straight out for sale.

Please educate me on how it works and the costs involved as I genuinley do not know and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

Stephen
Ok!

1. There will be warranty prep work to be carried out (the check etc) which will cost them a few hundred from thier workshop..

2. They pay VAT on that margin they make

3. They pay the salesman on the margin (normally about 10/15% because they have basic salery of about £10k p.a.)

4. An element of 'haggling' money, because no-one ever pays full price for a car/accepts what thier car is really worth in trade in...

This is also assuming the car doesnt need any dents being pulled out/local bumper scuffs tidied up/alloys refurbished etc which all eat more into the margin...
Old 25 October 2004, 08:16 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Can I just point out for the umptymillionth time that the word for losing something is "lose" not "loose". When you see the word "noose" do you pronounce it "nooze"?

If a nut is loose on your car you may lose it. I think a few people must have loosed[sic] consciousness in their English lessons.
Old 25 October 2004, 08:18 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Can I just point out for the umptymillionth time that the word for losing something is "lose" not "loose". When you see the word "noose" do you pronounce it "nooze"?

If a nut is loose on your car you may lose it. I think a few people must have loosed[sic] consciousness in their English lessons.
Don't loose ya tempa Bubba

Quick Reply: At this rate it will only be worth about £1K in two years!!!!