ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scared Of Paper

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2000, 07:52 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

There I was happily driving along the M4 yesterday when, blown about by the cars several sheets of paper came hurtling towards me. Not a problem you say and normally no. BUT these were heading right for my scoop. I had visions of the paper being stuck over it like a vacumn cleaner which has just sucked up a copy of the times.
The intercooler then heats up and then something goes bang. My next image was of star wars and the proton torpedo going down the exhaust port causing the deathstar to blow up!

Fortunatley it just wafted over the top the car but I got me thinking. Firstly anyone ever had anything sucked into thier scoop
and secondly what measures can be taken to protect one's scoop. There are protectors for the intercoolers etc but none that I know of to stop the paper and vacumn cleaner concern

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 27-07-2000).]
Old 27 July 2000, 10:01 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil,

Can't say I have had that much go down the scoop in 6500 miles of Scooby Motoring, apart from a few *** butts.....which scare me as I am not sure if they are still lit and will set fire to anything and leaves and general detrus!!

I have seen on hear people having small birds and feathers disappearing...I would think that it would make a rather nice mess!!

As for protectors, I do believe you can get them, not sure where, although there has been debate as to whether they restrict airflow (albeit my a fraction)..

Anyone know what these look like??

Jim
Old 27 July 2000, 10:27 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

I reckon they must do something to the cooling, because when you stick a wire mesh spark guard in front of an open fire the heat passing through lowers significantly. Never quite understod it, but there you go.
Old 27 July 2000, 01:06 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

What you don't want to do is to park your car over the top of a thick plastic bag in sainsburys car park. It stuck on and melted and smelt everytime I drove the car. For about 3 months. I couldn't get it off !

Fortunatlye on my GTV, not the scooby

I am now paranoid about driving over plastic bags

cheers
ANdy
Old 27 July 2000, 01:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've had a few leaves and pine cones on the i/c but not much else.

I do remember hearing something, which may be urban myth, about a scoob on a dyno whose power was way down, they popped the bonnet and found a dead squirrel on the i/c! cheekly little bleeder, probably thought 'hmm, nice warm place to curl up for winter'

To change tack a little (WARNING! thread hijack approaching! ) sod things going in the scoop, I'm more worried about things going up me exhaust. What with the HiperDrager being a bit on the large side all manner of objects and animals could find their way up it.

Jazz the cat has shown an interest as has Maggie the puppy. I've managed so far to stop them going all the way as it were! Brings whole new meaning to having a cat in the exhaust system

PS - some people might be able to shoot flames from the back of the scooby (you reading this Moray ) but I can shoot objects from it, which then might end up in your scoop!!!!
Old 27 July 2000, 02:23 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Drove down to the coast last weekend, down on power towards the end of the journey, I thought it was because of the hot dry weather.

But lifted the bonnet to check and found moths, flies, wasps, bees on a BBQ.. Oh and an Arsenal flag that obviously came off a car in front, although I didn't see it get sucked up there.