ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speedtrap bible site - legal question

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2000, 01:33 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What with all this talk about zero tolerance etc, I thought I'd finally check out the abd site and the speed trap bible site. The ABD site is excellent, however I have a question that maybe a legal type person can answer.

On the speedtrap bible site, it states that a police officer cannot issue a fixed penalty without sight of your driving licence. Is this true?

It says that you must get a producer if you don't have your licence on you otherwise he cannot issue a ticket. How many people carry their licences? I've been done (parking offence) without it and I just took it and ran.

If anyone knows the answer to this I'd be interested to hear...
Old 26 July 2000, 06:11 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Yes they can is the answer.On the ticket you will find part of it is a producer.If you dont have your licence with you then you get 7 days to surrender it to a police stn of your choice. If you already have points and the three you are gonna get or a foreign licence then it no ticket BUT off to court instead.

K
Old 26 July 2000, 07:30 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard F:
<B>On the speedtrap bible site, it states that a police officer cannot issue a fixed penalty without sight of your driving licence. Is this true?[/quote]

I know nothing about who runs the site mentioned, but unfortunatley he does talk bolloc*s in some places (one example of which is above).

If you want ACCURATE information on this sort of thing along with stuff on GATSO's and things like that, look at
Old 27 July 2000, 08:06 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
Old 27 July 2000, 09:16 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Asked my neighbour last night who is a traffic cop about this one and he kindly shown me a fixed penalty ticket.

The answer is YES and officer can issue a fixed penalty ticket as part of the ticket also acts as a producer (that is you are given time to produce your docs at a police station of your choice).

If u have your documents with you the officer will take details of your insurance certificate and MOT if any. As to the licence, he will seize the licence there and then and put it in the system for processing and a week or two later you get your licence back suitably endorsed.

If you surrender your license the officer will give you a certificate. U are required to keep this certificate safe as if u are stopped again, this little chitty will act as proof that u have a driving licence and shows your driver number and the classes of vehicle u are entitled to drive.

If say your already have 9 points on yer licence and by virtue that the officer has seized your licence for endorsement, you can still drive your car as the endorsing court will not endorse your licence until as such time that they have issued you a summons to attend court as you will be facing a ban under the totting up proceedure

Hope this answers a few questions