My scooby is slow :(

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 04:51 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My scooby is slow :(

On my way back from seeing the folks, found myself behind a TDCI Mondeo, and being in the mood for a bit of fun went to overtake - I could see he was thrashing it silly to try and keep me behind...

First available straight - Seemed to take forever to get past him...and he was pretty close until we reached the next bend - then at least the Scoob's decent handling let me dissapear

I must add that this was on a B road, and I was on Optimax...I do really rate some diesels (we have just bought a Fabia vRS), but surely a Mondeo TDCI with all errr 115bhp (is it?) is not match for my blob eye Scoob...

Is my Scoob really that slow?
Old 11 October 2004, 04:52 PM
Crispy Love Sock
Scooby Regular

mondern diesels eh?

getting better all the time!
Old 11 October 2004, 04:55 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Talk the TORQUE he may had a Upgrade ( Black Box)
these ole dervs fly, used one ( Passat 150PD ) when my van went in for a service

the Pull is amaizing, just goes and goes !!

Mind you the back lanes.. and the ole derv would not keep up
Old 11 October 2004, 04:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have passed him with quite a bit of ease really, 3rd gear and off, your going to be considerably quicker though the gears than a diesel turbo is, even a modern one

Tony
Old 11 October 2004, 04:58 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

According to Parker's (got to love that site for technical data!) some TDCI's have 113bhp, some have 128bhp and the 2.2 litre has 152bhp. Oh, sorry,

What speed were you doing? Must remember diesels have lots of nice torque.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:00 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

You sure your driving the Scoob properly

Any diesal mondeo is slow as **** and you should pass and loose with ease
Old 11 October 2004, 05:03 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

tight 30 mph bend - dropped down to 2nd (maybe should have left it in 3rd - got level with him as went into 3rd)
Old 11 October 2004, 05:05 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

well I hit the limiter in 3rd...so I guess I was using all the rev range...car only has 4k miles on it - that's my excuse!!
Old 11 October 2004, 05:15 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Which Impreza do you have? It seems very unlikely that it is running properly if you have problem outrunning a TDCI- even the 2.2.
Still I suppose wrong gear selection combined with complacency and the good in gear response of the diesel could make things difficult.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:21 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Hey I set up the overtake well - and I thought the fact that I was an advanced driver would help...

I ragged the bollox off my Scoob - I got past the Mondeo comfortably - but just didn't seem to do it very quickly...or quick enough for my liking...

Come to think of it, it was smoking a lot - maybe he had a tuning box?

You could tell how superior the Scoob handles, watching the Mondeo lurch into each bend...
Old 11 October 2004, 05:22 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
Which Impreza do you have?.
53 plate WRX standard
Old 11 October 2004, 05:27 PM
Scooby_Sport
Scooby Regular

I think it should have blown the mondeo away personally, 0-60 on a standard wrx is 5 secs so thats goto be a few secs quicker than even a 2.2 tdi or whatever.

Maybe not alot in it from 1-2nd gear but after that the scoob should blow the b***cks off it, need to be in the turbo revs through the gears to really pan it though as they are torque even at low revs them darn diesels
Old 11 October 2004, 05:29 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Mondeo is no slouch as far as handling goes, although the diesel I had as a hire car was worse than the petrol probably because of the weight over the nose.
Surprised you had such trouble overtaking, when I've gone past these in my modded classic I've had no trouble at all.
Perhaps when the engine is bedded in it will be a bit faster? I presume it's a blobeye?
Old 11 October 2004, 05:31 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Scooby Sport - I think you are missing the point - a Scoob only does a 5.something sec 0-60 cos of the 4WD - if the Mondeo was 150odd bhp plus a chip = 190bhp at flywheel of 2wd car

What does a Scoob put out at the wheels?
Old 11 October 2004, 05:33 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
I presume it's a blobeye?
Yep...standard...for now (guess that's got to change)
Old 11 October 2004, 05:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Through the gears torque counts alot, and turbo diesels have it in spades. Scoobs are quick off the line due obviously to 4WD, but if you watch 2WD cars at a strip and once moving there's often little in it. If the power is similar they often catch back up to the fast starting Scoobs as they actually have more power at the wheels (4WD transmission losses) and are often significantly lighter. Did you see the 5th Gear with the Fabia vRS trouncing the Mini Cooper ? A bit of tinkering by AMD and they can have 190bhp+ and over 300ft/lb. Still won't be as quick as a Scoob on the getaway, but once moving I bet they're an eyeopener. As good as our beloved Scoobs are, don't think they're invincible. I've even been surprised by Saxo VTS's which can cling to me on straights but then they do weigh less than a fart.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:43 PM
Scooby_Sport
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what the output at the wheels are to be honest.

I've heard the saxos keep up to around a ton but after that they just die don't they?
Old 11 October 2004, 05:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To overtake so effectively so that you can't even tell if they are trying or not, or you can pass in almost any gear you like, and it wouldn't make any noticeable difference if they were trying, it is helpful to have say three or four times the power to weight ratio, and massive torque. I'm not joking. A lot of people are surprised what distance it takes to overtake an apparently much slower car. It is easy to get used to whizzing around other traffic that isn't accelerating and it makes you think your car is quicker than it is.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:56 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Be interesting when we get the vRS (in 2 weeks)...

At least the Scoob is quick in the wet
Old 11 October 2004, 06:03 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
To overtake so effectively so that you can't even tell if they are trying or not, or you can pass in almost any gear you like, and it wouldn't make any noticeable difference if they were trying, it is helpful to have say three or four times the power to weight ratio, and massive torque. I'm not joking. A lot of people are surprised what distance it takes to overtake an apparently much slower car. It is easy to get used to whizzing around other traffic that isn't accelerating and it makes you think your car is quicker than it is.
Good point, mate - does taking the power up to 300 bhp (without the warranty) make much difference?
Old 11 October 2004, 06:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At high speed especially.... if you are using 3/4 of your power against drag, leaving say 60 BHP left for acceleration, then add another 60 BHP and you double your rate of acceleration at that point. It is about the only good thing you can say about having more power

Lots of torque with very little lag will help in the real world far more, and that doesn't need massive turbos.
Old 11 October 2004, 06:19 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by minor_threat
According to Parker's (got to love that site for technical data!) some TDCI's have 113bhp, some have 128bhp and the 2.2 litre has 152bhp. Oh, sorry,

What speed were you doing? Must remember diesels have lots of nice torque.

LOL the 140 PDs can achice 200BHP !!
with a easy mod
Old 11 October 2004, 06:23 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Sorry mates, but if it took me in the Evo that long to pass any diesel powered car I'd chuck the feckin towel in and buy a pushbike!! How many people in the real world do really think get their rep mobiles chipped? I'd say not many. You should have left him for dead, get the car checked out mate.
dave

FLAME SUIT AT THE READY
Old 11 October 2004, 06:34 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt

Is my Scoob really that slow?

You need to de-cat ©

It's a well known scoobynet phenomenon that this modification alone will give an extra 120 bhp.
Old 11 October 2004, 06:57 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

deano -

I'm a bit p1ssed off about people saying check your Scoob - like I wouldn't know if it wasn't running right...
Old 11 October 2004, 07:14 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Modern common rail diesels produce pots of torque, make them well easy to drive and surprise anyone that’s not driven one....check out the torque figures on the Ford website.

Something else to think about; a well driven car can go like stink regardless of what it is. Keep it quiet but a new Beatle cab (doesn’t get more embarrassing-well at least he had the roof up !!), gave me quite a surprise when he caught me off boost poodling in fifth
Old 11 October 2004, 07:16 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
A lot of people are surprised what distance it takes to overtake an apparently much slower car. It is easy to get used to whizzing around other traffic that isn't accelerating and it makes you think your car is quicker than it is.
i think this is spot on, say you're both doing 40 and both accelerating hard, how much difference is there in length for you both to hit say 70ish?
probably not alot and escepiaclly if you're expecting to zip out, go past and pull away in a short length of road.

not surprised at all that you found the overtaking to take a bit longer than expected, there's been a shed load of cars that i've crept past on full chat when i expected to fly by them!
Old 11 October 2004, 07:38 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I can just imagine the bloke down the pub telling his mates that he blew away a Impreza earlier that day
LOL
Old 11 October 2004, 07:41 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

If you think about it, in the time it takes you to do say 30-70 (just over 6 seconds in a standard WRX?), there's quite a lot of cars (hot hatch, decent TDi, 2 litre repmobiles etc) that could do 30 to 60 ish, and 10 mph more than someone doesn't feel like blowing them away. The up side is that there are very few cars that will be doing more than 80 in that space, so you can stay reasonably close to seriously quick stuff in a similar circumstance (I've been pleasantly surprised on occassions by the relatively small gap I've lost to a 360, 911 GT2 etc, and I know they are a lot quicker than a 280bhp bugeye). Where you'd notice a big difference is at higher speeds (say 80+) - this applies to faster stuff pulling away from you as well as pulling away from slower stuff.

Regards mods to make it much faster - I've gained ~70bhp on standard, and ultimate pace at legal speeds is quicker, but not devastatingly so, to be honest. I think that the bigger difference to me is getting the turbo boosting and so good torque lower down (260lbft before 2800rpm on one PE rolling road day), and keeping the power going for a lot longer at the top (~280bhp from 5800-6800 rpm) - at least in everyday conditions on the road. Something about area under the power (or torque) curve, as a certain Scottish doctor has been known to say
Old 11 October 2004, 09:21 PM
New_scooby_04

As torquey as modern Diesels are (I was very impressed with the TDCI focus) a scooby should still murder it through the gears. A fit Scooby will do the 30-70mph increment in about 5 seconds. A Mondeo TDCI would need several more. Where a diesel would have an advantage would be in a higher gear a lower engine speeds, as the limited rev range means they have to develop their power much lower down, whereas the the Scoobys turbo would be getting ready.

Best.

Quick Reply: My scooby is slow :(