Seems some people weren't impressed with the blackpool big one

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 02:42 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry i mentioned anything now!

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/messageview...threadid=24660

even though "WE" rasied over £1000 for GIVE A CHILD A CHANCE.

Last edited by julian N/W wrx my93; 14 October 2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11 October 2004, 03:22 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Fact of life
always someone complaints !!

Another excellent scooby meet and seemed to be enjoyed by everyone else !!#and a great charity collection too .

Some one complained that we should of had security guards at the NBO 2 because they got a valve cap pinched !!!!

Some people !!!!!!!!
Old 11 October 2004, 04:03 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

What you have to remember is that last year i think there was only 40 or so of us therefore much easier to control (as we all parked up before running the lights)

Frank did all he could to prevent the chavs attending (with a lot of help from sticky stuff etc)

He liased with Police and had assurances of co-operation which sadly didn't materialise but thats not his fault.

As Julian said, it raised lots of money and the fact that i "wasted" £5.00 of petrol whilst queing is of no consequence to me, i'm just glad we did something good for someone.

No one can anticipate traffic on the night nor can they take the responsibility for other peoples actions. It was a culmination of quite a few different things like it was a weekend therefore more traffic, there were 106 cars that wanted to get in one line. I'm sorry but you cant legislate for everything.

I'm sad some people want to winge about attending an event that was designed to raise cash for a little child to do something they may never get to do.

I for one am happy that my £10.00 donation and my poultry £5.00 in wasted fuel whilst cueing for an hour or so, went to a good cause.

Those that thought it was a waste of time, **** off, you are neither welcome or wanted as you have completley missed the point

all IMHO of course

Well done Frank and everyone who gave generously, yes we were let down by the Police but the scale of such an event relies on trust on all parties. That wasn't the events fault.

BTW I slipped a disc in my back on Sunday, attended an Osteopath on Tuesday and attended this on Saturday. We met up at Burtonwood at 4.00pm and we didnt get in till 11.30pm and i still had a smile on my face.

I promptly spent the next 24hrs full of distalgesics to try and dull the pain but hey what the hell its charity
Old 11 October 2004, 04:17 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Julian

You do like trying to wind people up don't you

Read the thread in full

As has been said on here these things are difficult to marshal especially if promised help doesn't materialise

Great Result on Money raised though

Perhaps a Pic of the Cheques Presentation can be posted because it gives ALL scooby drivers a good name when money is raised for such a good cause
Old 11 October 2004, 04:22 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Those that thought it was a waste of time, **** off, you are neither welcome or wanted as you have completley missed the point

all IMHO of course
AMEN to that!

Not just your opinion, you'll not be surprised to learn
Old 11 October 2004, 04:27 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Sounded a great event to, me i drove the Blackpool lights a few years ago before i owned a scoob. I started to que very early at the begining of the lights.
Took us about 1.5 Hours to drive through them all !! best bit was getting out and buying take aways as you only move 10 yards in 10 mins

The Scooby evetns are getting more popular all the time.

If i wasnt al Longleat me and the family would have gone to this event.

THe Chavs are a pain as i get the same problem with events and convoys, you just have to totaly ignore them. At the end of the day its a free country and they can push in legaly

I would love to see some pics of this event.

Did SIDC organise this one ?
Old 11 October 2004, 04:29 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=20
Old 11 October 2004, 04:34 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

na this was done by scoobynets very own REDWRX!
Old 11 October 2004, 04:35 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

oh and i'm not trying to wind people up. It just seemed that people where knocking it, thats all.
Old 11 October 2004, 04:56 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to Blackpool Police today...

the good news is that there were nothing reported about any of attendee's ...pretty good considering there were 108 cars at Halfords....

Also the news from the Police, is that for some reason, they reckon that traffic over the last two weekends has been up by 50% ...

The reason there was no Police help, is because 'we couldnt get to them' ..... due to the volume of traffic. Due to a last minute piece of help from a local, we got a redirect to the lights, (ie- the right turn just prior to the hump back bridge near the airport).... in fairness, i did ask for anybody with local knowledge to pm me... i got 1 reply, and heard nothing for 6 weeks...so had to go it alone....i actually had someone recce it.. for me, and that came back traffic clear.

I can only apologise to anybody who didnt enjoy the night, but rest assured i did everything possible in terms of pre-event organisation.......i couldnt predict traffic volumes tho'..

If there is to be a BBO 2005, firstly u need to sort out how to control the traffic ...... until then, i really dont see how we can better the BBO, as everything run like clockwork up to that point.

So as organiser of the BBO, im going to bow out ......... as i cant control traffic, and i dont want to have people travelling hundreds of miles, only to be let down.

Frank

Last edited by redwrx; 11 October 2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:13 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I can only apologise to anybody who didnt enjoy the night
You have NOTHING to apologise for mate
Old 11 October 2004, 05:13 PM
djliveasy
Scooby Regular

frank top job mate ignore all the bad coments i fully enjoyed it and i no the rest of the smacs lads that i convoyed with did so to. carnt wait till the next one. scott
Old 11 October 2004, 05:15 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

I agree didn't get home till near midnight but loved everybit of it, looking forward to the next maybe before they switch off ???????????
Old 11 October 2004, 05:29 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

My god, how obstinate! I know police co-operation was requested but I was under no illusion that we'd all get through the lights in one long 106 car convoy. Short of closing the road off that's fairly impossible on a very busy street which is interjected with traffic lights! Fair enough, it was frustrating, but how anybody can blame the event's organisation for Blackpool's traffic chaos is beyond me!

Frank did a brilliant job of getting this event off the ground, as he has done with previous events like his involvement in the Castles and Mountains Tour. He even seems to be able to control the weather but controlling the traffic is beyond anybody's power.
Old 11 October 2004, 07:19 PM
mick40
Scooby Newbie

i was there for the weeekend with the wife and kids and i sore the convoy along the front and i.thought it was great to see all of them great scoobys together. it made my weekend and my sone of thirteen was well impresed ...(when is the next meet?)
Old 11 October 2004, 07:52 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Frank, you don't think you're gonna be able to just chuck all this over your shoulder and forget about it as easily as that, do you?

Let's look at things positively...

The Halfords meet was 90 minutes of hundreds of like minded enthusiasts all getting along great, laughing, snapping pictures, sharing tales of the run there, etc.

A lot of the people that went actually made a day of it, and had a great time in Blackpool before making their way down to Halfords for the meet.

As has been said, nobody could have done diddly squat about the traffic, as the Romans used to say, "Excretum Occurii" (**** happens)

The only bad thing for me, honestly, was seeing the rubbish piled up next to the bin outside Halfords entrance. I could only think of the reaction of the staff turning up for work the next morning, and the fact that they might have got the wrong idea about us (The fact that the rubbish was next to the bin, rather than strewn across the entire car park would perhaps have gone unnoticed). I'll try to remember a couple of bin liners next time

Don't let the few bad reports get to you, for every one of those there's gonna be a hundred positives, whether it be from those who attended as drivers, passengers or simply those who were walking down the mile looking at the lights when an even better spectacle came burbling along.

I think, rather than bowing out, you should make a stand and show 'em what you're made of.

I reckon, given the positive feedback, that there's enough interest to do a 'last night of the lights' run, just like last year. And I for one would like you to organise it.

I'll provide the stickers again, and I doubt there'd be over a hundred attendees this time, but you never know.

Well? What do you think?

...I'll get started on the stickers then

Andy
Old 11 October 2004, 08:11 PM
g.pain
Scooby Regular

Old 11 October 2004, 08:12 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

2. StickyStuff
Old 11 October 2004, 08:16 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Thats a damn good plan,and its the day after Santa Pods, flame and thunder night Result!! Must get car fixed, must get car fixed!!
Old 11 October 2004, 08:21 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

C'mon Frank, get that thread started... "BBO 2.5 - The Last Night Fling"...

They have fireworks and all sorts. I'm getting excited already
Old 11 October 2004, 08:34 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry folks, im already booked up for the weekend of November 5/ 6 / 7th doing firework displays ....which is my other interest.

So, wont be able to make it to a 2.5

Sorry.

Frank
Old 11 October 2004, 08:40 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Okay, so it's a BNBO at Franks....

(Bonfire Night Big One...)

Look out Runcorn, 'ere we come............................................
Old 11 October 2004, 09:29 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

So as organiser of the BBO, im going to bow out ......... as i cant control traffic, and i dont want to have people travelling hundreds of miles, only to be let down.

Frank

Noooooooooooooooooo!

People have to realise it always takes this long to go through the lights in Blackpool Its part of the fun!!

Frank dont let poeple get to you mate you did a fantasic job and should be proud of yourself for raising so much for the Charity.

Personally the wife, kids and me had a great time especially all collecting on the roundabout!
Old 11 October 2004, 10:09 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy S.
Noooooooooooooooooo!

People have to realise it always takes this long to go through the lights in Blackpool Its part of the fun!!

Frank dont let poeple get to you mate you did a fantasic job and should be proud of yourself for raising so much for the Charity.

Personally the wife, kids and me had a great time especially all collecting on the roundabout!
Agree with that - we went a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday night and it was really busy then. You cannot predict what the traffic is going to be like on the night and unfortunatly this time it was really busy.
Personally I think the organisation was spot on and part of the fun is the different meet points on the way and the drive to Blackpool itself.
When we did the switching off of the lights last year it was a Sunday night and alot quieter, personally I enjoyed Saturdays event more mainly because of the shear number of Scoobs that turned up.
This event needed to be planned well in advance - which it was and Frank did give us all the option to cancel when it looked like things could start getting a bit hectic with other forums etc... - and we didnt.
So when is the next one

Ayde
Old 11 October 2004, 10:12 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

2. StickyStuff
3. Ayde
Old 11 October 2004, 10:15 PM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Thought it was a great laugh when we bumped into Frank come the other way on his return trip after going dizzy around the roundabout and then all throwing a 3 pointer , Great Laugh, oh yes, and drowning out the tunes coming from that little silver Corsa with our DV's!!
Old 11 October 2004, 10:23 PM
yoza
BANNED

My advise to the lady who wasnt too impressed with the convoy through the lights is simple.

Go on a Wednesday night just you, your fella and the baby, take it all in, job done.

If you want to see the lights, and you dont want to get snarled up in traffic for 3 hours, dont go with a gaggle of 100 Subarus.

I know that, and Im stupid.

Good job on the 'Give A Child A Chance' whip round, I shall speak to Kev Seed and ask if he will give you all a mention.

Well done.
Old 11 October 2004, 10:55 PM
mickport
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by yoza
My advise to the lady who wasnt too impressed with the convoy through the lights is simple.
That lady was my wife - and I think you all missed the point of what I posted on SN at about 145am Sunday (which was when I got home).

The point was that we were let down by the police, and once people started breaking away to do their own thing / go their own way the event fell apart for the cars who were unlucky enough to be amongst the last 1/2 to get out of Halfords because we didn't know what was going on.

At no point did I knock Frank personally cos I'm aware of the time & effort he put into it & also that he even thought of not having it as an official SN meet in case of chavs & boy racers turning up - so Frank, no apology necessary

& I did end by saying I 'hope there is a BBO 2005 - just need the police to do what I thought they were gonna do this year'

Sorry if people don't like seeing the flip side of the coin - & Julian nice going mate, you are a top windup merchant - its just a shame you can't be @rsed to report the full facts of what I said (or be bothered to turn up to the event for that matter even tho you live a hell of a lot closer to it than me so I'm not sure about the 'WE' bit regarding the money raised for Give a child a Chance)

If theres one next year - hope to see you all there

Will be in disguise though

Link to my BBO pics - plates are blanked
http://forums.sidc.co.uk/messageview...threadid=24668

Last edited by mickport; 11 October 2004 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added link to pics
Old 11 October 2004, 11:17 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Will be in disguise though
Oi thats my thing it has now become tradition (3rd lights run for me) to don a mask, and scare the sh*t out of the crowds

Unlike Buzzer who sadly cant remove his mask

It seems to me that the people slating the organisation where the ones who didnt even bother to turn up, so what right do they have to slate all the hard work that Frank put into this

It would be a real shame for Frank not to carry on for the BBO 2005, as I doubt it would have been remotely possible without all of his hard work that went into this, and its bad that a few comments from people who werent even there (and I agree with Petes comments, that those people are not welcome and should stay out of it, or join in like the rest of us) , should make Frank even consider *not* doing this next year

I for one will be the first to help out where I can

The whole Blackpool run, is not the run through the lights itself, but everything building up to it

Its the co-ordinating of the local meets, getting to the meeting points, chatting to friends, meeting new faces, donning masks , standiing round freezing yer butts off,

Driving in Convoy to the other meet points, standing round etc etc, then to the final meet point, just to take in the whole scale of the event,

and then finally onto the lights run itself, which is no mean feat by itself, yes we did get split up (inevitable, and always will be unless the GM is closed for our benefit) yes it is very slow through the lights, yes our clutches get knackered, yes we waste a lot of fuel, yes we get abuse (although in comedy form) from the Chavs,

But we get smiles, waves, photos taken, cheers from the crowds, I reckon we made a hell of a lot of kids happy that night, and the main aim of the evening......

To raise money for Charity, which we did a tremendous job, and thanks to all who turned up and donated, and who enjoyed themselves

For those that didnt manage to get to see the lights, quite a reasonable number of us went all the way up, and all the way back down again, and still got back to Halfords for 10.30pm

Roll on the next one, I for one cant wait, and Frank you will *not* be getting out of this so easily

Steve
Old 11 October 2004, 11:24 PM
yoza
BANNED

"That lady WAS my wife."

LOL..

I hope she still is.

I went last year, or maybe the year before, I wasnt into the stop start through the lights, infact I hate Blackpool full stop.
I did it for my Niece and Nephew, after all it was only one day out of my life, and they loved it.

But I didnt go again, each to their own.

Dont worry about saying what you think on here...thats what its all about.

Quick Reply: Seems some people weren't impressed with the blackpool big one