Sponsored by:

Hello all

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 10:54 AM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all

Hello all just joined so treat me nice i currently have a jap modded corsa but am changing it for a subaru over the next few weeks hopefully. wud like ure input on what to look for and what to ignore. cheers all.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:40 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Sep
Hello all just joined so treat me nice i currently have a jap modded corsa but am changing it for a subaru over the next few weeks hopefully. wud like ure input on what to look for and what to ignore. cheers all.
Hi m8. Whats your age? if you're under 25, you won't be able to get insured on an import. (wrx, sti, type r, type ra etc) You might be able to get a quote on a U.K.turbo. Whatever model you go for, my advice is to GET AN INSURANCE QUOTE before you even consider looking at an impreza!
Good luck.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What to look for.....
Depends on your age and what your budget is really.....
Take note of the above though, its hard if your under 25 to get insurance, especially in manchester!!
Also take note that servicing is going to be considerably more expensive than the corsa you own already, plus take away around 15-20mpg

Tony
Old 11 October 2004, 12:24 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

im 20 years old im on a buissness insurance and my g/f's dad works for unipart so any parts are at cost plus 10% plus he can fit wem aslwell. was thinking of a 2ltr turbo

plus the engine on the corsa pepperd so dont get much more out of it than a scooby mpg wise.
Old 11 October 2004, 12:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I would check your business insurance, i know for a fact that the company i work for wont hire 2ltr cars for anyone under 21 yrs old, thats a clause in their business insurance!
Plus if you havnt worked (or people you know) havnt worked on impreza's before, then it could end up a bit messy...... (things can go seriously wrong if you dont know what your doing on a subaru engine!! especially the wrong size oil filter!).
Ill give you a shock to start with, so you know what your getting into
Say you buy a 6 yr old scoob, a 98 model, its going to be due a 90k/6 year service (these cars are 6 monthly/7.5k service intervals, whichever comes first), a 90k interval will set you back in the region of 500 quid, an intermediate service will cost around 90 quid, a 2 year/30k service will cost you around 300 quid, a 3 year/45k service inc cambelt will set you back 400 quid.
There are a few places you can go to get a car serviced in manchester (or surrounding area's), Jap innovations in oldham is one (independant subaru speciallist), ProSport in Stockport is another (authorised subaru uk), or you have Robinsons in Rochdale (authorised subaru uk).
If you want to have a look for cars, try here...>>>
www.just-sports.org

these are in manchester and do some good cars (still dont know your price bracket???) plus note the fuel consumption, i take it if your on business insurance, then your going to have the car as a business car?? (you may want to look at company car tax brackets here then!)
If you decide to go for a private policy with business use, try tesco or the likes, though they may fob you off until your 21......

Welcome to the world of the impreza high service costs, high fuel consumption and high insurance, unfortunately this is the world we live in.......

Tony
Old 11 October 2004, 12:50 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I would check your business insurance, i know for a fact that the company i work for wont hire 2ltr cars for anyone under 21 yrs old, thats a clause in their business insurance!
Plus if you havnt worked (or people you know) havnt worked on impreza's before, then it could end up a bit messy...... (things can go seriously wrong if you dont know what your doing on a subaru engine!! especially the wrong size oil filter!).
Ill give you a shock to start with, so you know what your getting into
Say you buy a 6 yr old scoob, a 98 model, its going to be due a 90k/6 year service (these cars are 6 monthly/7.5k service intervals, whichever comes first), a 90k interval will set you back in the region of 500 quid, an intermediate service will cost around 90 quid, a 2 year/30k service will cost you around 300 quid, a 3 year/45k service inc cambelt will set you back 400 quid.
There are a few places you can go to get a car serviced in manchester (or surrounding area's), Jap innovations in oldham is one (independant subaru speciallist), ProSport in Stockport is another (authorised subaru uk), or you have Robinsons in Rochdale (authorised subaru uk).
If you want to have a look for cars, try here...>>>
www.just-sports.org

these are in manchester and do some good cars (still dont know your price bracket???) plus note the fuel consumption, i take it if your on business insurance, then your going to have the car as a business car?? (you may want to look at company car tax brackets here then!)
If you decide to go for a private policy with business use, try tesco or the likes, though they may fob you off until your 21......

Welcome to the world of the impreza high service costs, high fuel consumption and high insurance, unfortunately this is the world we live in.......

Tony

cheers for the advice much appreciated, her dad a sound mechanic and used to working on engines of the like. i do alot of long distance driving. the buisness is owned by mi dad and he sorts insurance out. im on a 2ltr mondeo giha and a 3ltr turbo isuzu so dpont see why a scoobie shud be different. will check it out tho. petrol im not fussed about i dont hammer my cars so dont mind a bit of an increase. but will check everything else out. what they lokie for doing mileage? i do manchester to dorset evry other week which is 800 mile in a weekend, hence the corsa not beign too well....
Old 11 October 2004, 12:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

If maintained well and run on super unleaded or optimax, they will run forever
There are cars on here with over 150k on the clock with no problems.
Note that running the mondeo will be alot cheaper than running the impreza, i know, i ran both (now changed my mondeo to a Pug 306 2ltr as its more economical than the 1.8lx i had )
You still havnt given a ball park figure on what your looking to spend, thus we can/will give you an idea of what your after/can afford

Tony
Old 11 October 2004, 01:03 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If maintained well and run on super unleaded or optimax, they will run forever
There are cars on here with over 150k on the clock with no problems.
Note that running the mondeo will be alot cheaper than running the impreza, i know, i ran both (now changed my mondeo to a Pug 306 2ltr as its more economical than the 1.8lx i had )
You still havnt given a ball park figure on what your looking to spend, thus we can/will give you an idea of what your after/can afford

Tony
i will have a bout 5 - 6 grand to play with, just want a scoob no mods just a dump valve to hear that loverly hiss lol. and nice rims. not into import can always get one of those next. just want summut reliable to pull me down the country
Old 11 October 2004, 02:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Scooby Sep-

1) It's not just the engine size that can present problems for business insurance, it's the insurance grouping: A classic is -rather generously- in group 17. V high for business car! To give you an idea, I'm 27 and pay 1800 for the insurance! :-(

2) I think you'll find most of the drivetrain experts will tell you not to bother with an aftermarket dump valve. It's usually considered a downgrade! Besides, the engine note more than makes up for it!

Best.
Old 11 October 2004, 02:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

This is probably the sort of car your looking for, unfortunately it doesnt say the mileage

1997 R Reg SUBARU Impreza Turbo 2000 4WD
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Reddish Blue. Facelift Model, White Dials, Momo Steering Wheel, Alloy Wheels, Electric Windows, Remote Central Locking, Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser, MOT/Tax, Service History, HPi Clear, Absolutely Immaculate Condition. reduced bargain to clear, Warranty & Finance Available. £6,000.

A and A PerformanceDealer's Website
Tel: 07973 626832

Distance: 15 miles
Price: £6,000

But there are a few in the autotrader, out of those few (and there are quite a few!!) only one or two caught my eye, this is how picky you have to be when buying a scoob (and most were imports, only one uk car stated it had FSSH but its a wagon in light green......)

Tony
Old 11 October 2004, 02:34 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Sep
just a dump valve to hear that loverly hiss lol.
Bad idea unless your ECU knows how to compensate for the air being vented. Do some searches in the technical forums and you'll see what i mean.

If you want noises, spend the money on a Blitz exhaust instead.
Old 12 October 2004, 05:20 PM
New_scooby_04

If they don't mention mileage, figure on over 100k! :-) You don't generally "accidently" leave a very pertainent fact like that out of an advert! ;-)

Best.