Prodrive Performance Pack PPP on a 03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2004, 11:23 PM
wrx_dave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive Performance Pack PPP on a 03 WRX

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking around here for a while but have only just joined.

I have a 2003 WRX that I purchased in March 03.

I have been thinking about going for the Prodrive performance pack (PPP) which I believe costs £1600?

Has anybody had this done? Is the car noticeably faster? Ultimately, was it worth it and is there any other feedback regarding this modification you could give me?

I love the Scooby but earlier in the year I purchased a VX220 Turbo. The VX is significantly faster than my Scooby in both a straight line and round the corners. (although not in the wet )

Since buying the VX the extent of the turbo lag on the Impreza has become apparent. I took it back to the dealers but they said this was normal and that a lot of owners have complained about it. Does the PPP do anything to reduce the amount of lag?

I do a lot of track days but have never tracked the Impreza due to having the VX220. The main reason for buying the PPP would be for track use. For those who do track days would you say having the PPP is significantly better than the standard WRX on a track?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04 October 2004, 06:01 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

The PPP makes the car more drivable in everyday use, but it still won't be as fast as the VX although it'll have a good go. By accounts of people who haved owned both, it'll take an STi with PPP to match a VX220 turbo so I doubt if a WRX PPP will do so.

The PPP is worth the money if warranty is important, and does make a big difference to the car. For example 3rd will feel like 2nd,4th like 3rd etc. If warranty is'nt high on your list there are a number of suppliers who can add more power/torque than the PPP for the similar money. As with everything there are fans of each variation, so it's probably best to use the search facility to investigate which one suits you best.

What the scoob does very well is match practicality with all weather A-B hooning ability, what the VX does very well is the light(ish) sports/track day car thing and you can't really compare the two. Personally I would say that if you had the PPP done you would have an almost ideal mix of real world practical and track cars.

The Impreza is'nt really a track day car, although they do aquit themselves quite well. If you want to improve your lap times, then brakes and suspension will do more for a lap time than the PPP,although the PPP will greatly improve acceleration out of bends.

Why not test drive a car with a PPP fitted and then decide.

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 04 October 2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:00 AM
jadcoz
Scooby Regular

Default ppp

i have a ppp kit on my 03 and have to say was really really impressed when they fitted it . was so much more range of power rather than quick kick in pants on normal , changed my car completely and would recomend to anyone. sound is massive added bonus too! rumble sounds awesome as you trundle but then wails when you open up - fab fab fab
Old 04 October 2004, 09:25 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Why track a WRX when you have the Vx which is way more track orientated?

If you track the WRX you will need a brake upgrade.

However, the PPP would be a good idea anyway even if you dont track the car as its way better than standard.

I test drove a PPP and a std STi and I prefered the PPP WRX over the bogo STi.

However when it came to crunch time I went down the modified route.

I now have, Green Filter, H&S back box and de-cat down pipe and a TEK3 re-map.

The main advantage of this is the turbo now spools up at 2500rpm rather than 3000.

Overall power output is similar (to PPP), maybe 10bhp more.

However, warranty and re-sale are factors to take into consideration.

But if you are not bothered about these then it might be a better route.

BtK
Old 04 October 2004, 12:06 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I tested an 03 WRX yesterday with PPP. I was previously underwhelmed by the 03 WRX - serious lag which meant poor driveability in everyday give and take motoring.

I completely agree with comments above. The PPP totally transformed the car. It was much much gruntier than std WRX. The uprated exhaust also sounded much beefier - with a real burble that sent a pleasing shiver down the spine.

As a warranty safe upgrade I reckon this is a must for all WRX owners.

I didnt drive the PPP back to back with a std STI but it left more of an impression than my last STI test. The extra torque and lighter weight obviously helped as did the acoustics. That said I can see more potential in an STI if you get the PPP for that.

I'm now seriously considering rejoining Scoob ownership
Old 04 October 2004, 03:03 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

I had PPP fitted to my 03 WRX at 1000 miles. It does transform the car. Much greater torque lower down gives much better real world driving performace (no need to keep revs so high), sounds great, and actually uses less petrol. Go for it.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:13 PM
flat-spot
Scooby Regular

I hope it's worth the money because I have just ordered my WRX with PPP...it was either that or metallic paint and a few extras.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:50 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by flat-spot
I hope it's worth the money because I have just ordered my WRX with PPP...it was either that or metallic paint and a few extras.
Top job, you will certainly enjoy it

Dipster
Old 04 October 2004, 08:56 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Top job, you will certainly enjoy it

Dipster
My standard ( well a backbox ) Sti 8 is noticably quicker than my mates VX220 turbo, and I outhandle him. maybe he's just a crap driver.
Get the PPP done mate you could make it quicker for £1600 with ecutek etc but worth remaining warrany friendly