Sponsored by:

Which way to go

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 12:38 AM
wouldlovea22b
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way to go

looking to purchase an imprexa within the next few months. bit confused though. read somewhere on here that earlier ones produce less power than later. believe that 99 WRX is best power, probably a 99 WRX STI i would assume.

now i know that sti has alloy aprts and more power. but if i was to buy a normal (i.e) non STI wrx, and put a different turbo onto it, an FMIC, a carbon bonnet and bigger ap brakes, what would i still be missing from the STI. I.E apart from variable centre Diff. are the type R and type RA models STI or not?

all im thinking is instead of buying an expensive STI and modding it, to buy a (relatively) cheap WRX and modify that.

does the variable center Diff make a lot of difference?

last question! - there are many turbos floating about from the likes of garrett and HKS etc. which are the generally reccomended ones, and what powers are they good for (with supporting mods)

answers to any or all would be very much appreciated!

Rob

(P.S i know my login is wouldlovea22b, but i really cant afford one!!)
Old 30 September 2004, 06:31 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hello, and welcome.

Start here and have a good read:

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Then get yourself a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...959952-5900405

That should give you a fairly good base knowledge on all the different models and what they're all about.

Enjoy,

Iwan
Old 03 October 2004, 07:46 PM
wouldlovea22b
Scooby Newbie

ok, a more simpler question

what are the types of turbo available?

i know about the tdo4, td05 and vf turbos. but do the japanese manufacturers such as HKS, Greddy etc produce a turbo?

wouldnt it be interesting to have a list of the turbos, there relative characteristics and power outputs. i did a search and cant find one!

if anyone knows of such a post please post it. the FAQ, whilst being very good, doesnt contain a lot of detailed technical info on the types of turbos available as an upgrade

Cheers

Rob