Sponsored by:

8K to spend, for car and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2004, 10:32 AM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8K to spend, for car and insurance

Im looking to spend 8-9K on my first car. Well that includes the price of insurance.

I was going to get a RS250, but then decided on a car as it is more practical (warm and dry in the winter, sounds, can put more people in a car etc)

So now I am thinking about a scooby!

I want to spend like 4k on a car and the same on insuranc.

Will I be able to get one and insurance for this??

I am 18 and Live in Surrey with no NCB's.

Thanks Luke

PS the main thing is insurance I don't want to buy a scoob to find out that is gonna cost me 10K insurance.
Old 29 September 2004, 11:15 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RollingBurnout
Im looking to spend 8-9K on my first car. Well that includes the price of insurance.

I was going to get a RS250, but then decided on a car as it is more practical (warm and dry in the winter, sounds, can put more people in a car etc)

Thanks Luke

PS the main thing is insurance I don't want to buy a scoob to find out that is gonna cost me 10K insurance.

£4k on insurance, oooowwwwww!!!!

you could probaly get someone to quote you around that for a UK turbo i'd imagine. elephant would prob be your best bet. TBH though mate, unless you REALLY REALLY want a scoob, have you considered something else,like a 306 GTi 6?? a mate just picked up a mint one for about £3k, nice interior, 160bhp.

I was in exactly the same postion as you about 4 years ago, desperately wanted a quick car but insurance stood in the way. now 23 with a 280bhp Sti

without sounding too patronising, it might be an idea to get some more driving experience before getting such a powerfull car. LOADS of people told me this a few years ago, and i thought they were all wingy old baw stewards, but if i'd of had a scoob back then, i know i'd of wrote it off.

why not pick up a dirt cheap Sax VTR (pretty nippy) get a year or 2 no-claims (and experience) then go for it???

your life though mate, just an opinion....

best of luck either way

Old 29 September 2004, 11:23 AM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

It's just that...........

Im a speed bandit, I need the rush dude! lol

Well basically I want something that I think damn thats sweet, and quick.

And even a fiesta will cost me a couple of K to insure and also If I get a scoob now next years insurance will have NCB's and be cheaper.

Dude, I need a scooby.

Do you think for the money i can get a scoob, I would settle (settle hehe) for a non turbo!!

And insurance???
Old 29 September 2004, 11:36 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Just get something cheapish on 3rd party insurance, like an old hot hatch - youve probably got more chance of crashing than not TBH so at least you'll not loose too much if you do, and build some NC's if you dont.

Virtually everyone I knew who got fast cars at 17/18 totalled them, one guy was killed. I got a 1.9GTi when I was 18 and looking back now it was a really bad idea - theres a good reason why the insurance is £4k!!!
Old 29 September 2004, 12:16 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

And insurance???

understand where you coming from mate, i'm in a simular position now as i want to get a >600 motorbike with no experience, but deep down i know its not a good idea.

i remember moaning my head off a few years ago about the ridiculous car insurance quotes i was getting, one wanted £5k for my 1.6 saxo VTR. But at the end of the day as Pete says, they are that high for a reason, insurance companys want to make a profit. bear in mind that 1 out of 3 of you and your mates will write off a car before your 20....

As much as we can argue against it, if speed is your interest. A N/A scoob really wouldnt be the way to go. You'd pay a hell of alot in insurance for a car that wouldnt be 'that' quick (i know i'm spoiled). Dont know the exact figures but from memory something like a 1.9 Gti would kill a N/A scoob.

for the most bang for your buck, have you tried a quote on a Fiat coupe 20v Turbo?? Very quick car with very nice interior...would leave a UK turbo standing in a straight line IIRC though 220bhp is alot to take through the front wheels

BTW to get a scoob 'sport' to look like a wrx/sti etc.. you'd need to shell out a bit on wheel, body kit etc...

come to think of it aint a guy trying to sell his sisters look-a-like on here??? about 3K i think init???
Old 29 September 2004, 12:16 PM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Petem95
Just get something cheapish on 3rd party insurance, like an old hot hatch - youve probably got more chance of crashing than not TBH so at least you'll not loose too much if you do, and build some NC's if you dont.

Virtually everyone I knew who got fast cars at 17/18 totalled them, one guy was killed. I got a 1.9GTi when I was 18 and looking back now it was a really bad idea - theres a good reason why the insurance is £4k!!!
Yeah was thinking about a hot hatch like a S2 RST. But there old, unreliable, rusting, front wheel drive etc etc.

Have been trying to get quotes on the net but can not get any.

If I can get insurance for under £4000 I want a scooby baby!!

any ideas of insurance companies??
Old 29 September 2004, 12:29 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah was thinking about a hot hatch like a S2 RST. But there old, unreliable, rusting, front wheel drive etc etc.

Have been trying to get quotes on the net but can not get any.

If I can get insurance for under £4000 I want a scooby baby!!

any ideas of insurance companies??
Jesus, I thought I was paying over the odds, (21yrs old, £2000 for an sti4). Thats a hell of alot to waste on insurence. I had to wait till i was 21 to get anyone to quote me. Id rather spend that 4k on more car than insurence.
Take the advice on here m8, get a nifty little run about, get some no-claims.

We cant always have what we want when we want it!
Not being funny but you are not going to get yourself much of a scoob for £4000. Hows about MR2 turbo, gt4, 3000gto. all alot cheaper to buy and insure than a decent scoob.
Good luck m8y

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2004, 12:37 PM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Jesus, I thought I was paying over the odds, (21yrs old, £2000 for an sti4). Thats a hell of alot to waste on insurence. I had to wait till i was 21 to get anyone to quote me. Id rather spend that 4k on more car than insurence.
Take the advice on here m8, get a nifty little run about, get some no-claims.

We cant always have what we want when we want it!
Not being funny but you are not going to get yourself much of a scoob for £4000. Hows about MR2 turbo, gt4, 3000gto. all alot cheaper to buy and insure than a decent scoob.
Good luck m8y
Could any give me some good advice on cheaper RWD's that are not to old (around M reg etc), does not need to be turbo, but needs to have enough power to donut!
Old 29 September 2004, 12:42 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Could any give me some good advice on cheaper RWD's that are not to old (around M reg etc), does not need to be turbo, but needs to have enough power to donut!
Hows about a nissan 200sx s13? rwd, turbo, 200bhp, tail happy!!! Cost between 2 and 4k for a good one. I think they go up to 95, 96 so m or n reg I think. Also, not to bad to insure. M8 had one, loved it! For insurence try tescos or adrian flux. Dont think anyone else will quote you at your age m8.
Old 29 September 2004, 12:42 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

but needs to have enough power to donut!

no offence mate but thats why your insurance will be high!

bit girly for some, but legendry handling, MX-5...?

or a Nissan 200sx???

imagine you know but donuting a 4WD is not easy or recomended...well any car actually!
Old 29 September 2004, 12:55 PM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wez_sti
no offence mate but thats why your insurance will be high!

bit girly for some, but legendry handling, MX-5...?

or a Nissan 200sx???

imagine you know but donuting a 4WD is not easy or recomended...well any car actually!
Yeah I like the Nissan 200 and 300. Also MR2's, I hate the MX5!

Donuts in a 4WD Tuirbo beast difficult????????? Floor it, slip clutch, yank wheel, it spins!!

Only joking I do get what you mean they grip like a bitch!!

You should have seen the fletcher bros when they had there cossies.

One with like 300BHPRWD and one with 400 4WD.

They ****ing rulled croydon cruise!!

Untill they got ride of the cossies.
Old 29 September 2004, 01:03 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Yeah I like the Nissan 200 and 300. Also MR2's, I hate the MX5!

Donuts in a 4WD Tuirbo beast difficult????????? Floor it, slip clutch, yank wheel, it spins!!

Only joking I do get what you mean they grip like a bitch!!

You should have seen the fletcher bros when they had there cossies.

One with like 300BHPRWD and one with 400 4WD.

They ****ing rulled croydon cruise!!

Untill they got ride of the cossies.
4wd cars, or awd cars such as the impreza, work by channelling power to the wheels with the most grip. If you spinning the rears, power is sent to the front, making it quite hard to do donuts.
If thats all you want do, get 200sx. They're cheap to run and repair unlike its big brother, 300zx. Loads more money on fuel, tyres, driveshafts, clutches and just about everything. And they're not much quicker. But if all going to be doing is donuts, who cares??!!
Old 29 September 2004, 01:21 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100

4wd cars, or awd cars such as the impreza, work by channelling power to the wheels with the most grip. If you spinning the rears, power is sent to the front, making it quite hard to do donuts.
beat me to it!
Old 29 September 2004, 01:43 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by wez_sti
beat me to it!
sorry
Old 29 September 2004, 02:28 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Is this a troll?

If not then this should be entertaining

Steve
Old 29 September 2004, 02:41 PM
Scooby_Sport
Scooby Regular

Hey, I sent a PM but I'm selling a nice reddish blue sport (98 model) for just 5.5k or nearest offer, cheap insurance but still goes well (132mph I had) and handles like an animal.

see more info here - http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=366138

you could buy and insure that and still have plently of change!

Thanks Luke

Last edited by Scooby_Sport; 29 September 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 29 September 2004, 02:45 PM
JBONDO1
Scooby Regular

Can't under stand why no one has told you to get a early Legacy Turbo! if you want 4wd and cheapish car to insurance because as far as I can tell there not tagged with the same boy racer tag as an impreza, and you will be able to pick up a very good example of a Legacy for less than 2 grand and we all know a Legacy is a Scooby but in a different shell, and they have a Chargecooler as standard. And they can be very very quick trust me for that money you would have the opportunity to either get a very mint example or a very quick one and for the money mentioned you would have enough money to insure it for a few years! Tony
Old 29 September 2004, 02:59 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

My uncle had a Legacy turbo saloon and it was awesome, not that different to an Impreza really. And they used to be proper rally cars too! I thought about getting one once, i found that there many more estates about than saloons though.

200sx, the choice of the discerning drifter
Old 29 September 2004, 03:03 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan

200sx, the choice of the discerning drifter

aka budget drifter!!

very nearly bought an RX-7 instead of a scoob, mainly for the rear wheel drive aspect. Gorgeous cars but quite a few draw backs, maybe in a year or 2....
Old 29 September 2004, 04:03 PM
New_scooby_04

4K isn't enough to get a decent Scooby. You'll probably also find that most insurers will just refuse you or want more than that! Have you also considered the costs of ownership: Servicing (expensive on high milage examples); petrol (super-unleaded is preferred and Scoobies are thirsty); tax. You'd also be looking at a high milage one, so consumables are a factor! E.G Clutches cost about £400 to replace.

I'd reconsider, and get yourself a nice nippy hot hatch: The Astra 2.2i is a great hot hatch, reasonably cheap and costs a lot less to insure.

Best.
Old 29 September 2004, 04:53 PM
buzzuk
Scooby Regular

you'll need another four grand for fuel aswell m8
Old 29 September 2004, 04:56 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to find a UK car as the imports are more expensive to insure.
Old 01 October 2004, 09:13 AM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

I spoke to an insurance company and they quoted me £4200 for a scoob, TPF&T for a year.

Then I thought (remember someone saying about a 300ZX) er how much would a non turbo 300ZX be on insurance????

10K+ insurance.

**** that, when the loan comes in a couple of weeks it's a scooby man!!

The little bro has just bought a Sierra, so looks like we are gonna be donuting.

Oh yeah, I do not want to donut all the time just now and then innit!! But a bit of powerslide action is always called for!!
Old 01 October 2004, 09:36 AM
RollingBurnout
Scooby Newbie

Also can a P1 or 22B body kit fit a non turbo scoob? (super sport???)
Old 01 October 2004, 05:37 PM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

Rolling Burnout,

I have just put my 02 Saxo VTR woth 20k miles, up for sale. If you are interested in that give me a shout and i'll supply you with some details and pictures.

dinothedude@hotmail.com

Paul
Old 01 October 2004, 06:00 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

does no one else think an 18 year old looking to get the fastest thing he can for the purposes of donutting and driving like a moron is something that should be discouraged.

Don't mean to be rude by I wonder at the lunacy of someone who takes out an 8K loan to spend 4k of in on insurance. What happens next year when the renewal (assuming the car and you are still in one piece) is £3200, are you going to take out another loan?

Either this is a wind up, or there is a serious lack of common sense being taught in school these edays.
Old 01 October 2004, 07:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
does no one else think an 18 year old looking to get the fastest thing he can for the purposes of donutting and driving like a moron is something that should be discouraged.

Don't mean to be rude by I wonder at the lunacy of someone who takes out an 8K loan to spend 4k of in on insurance. What happens next year when the renewal (assuming the car and you are still in one piece) is £3200, are you going to take out another loan?

Either this is a wind up, or there is a serious lack of common sense being taught in school these edays.
Do agree with you m8, I had to wait till I was 21 to get my scoob. All we can do is give advice, if he doesnt take it, thats up to him. + cant believe 10k insurance on a non turbo zx. I was quoted £1400 fully comp on a turbo. Paying 2k for my sti at present ( im 21)
Old 01 October 2004, 08:03 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

There is no way someone of your age can even consider buying any of the cars mentioned in this thread.

Nice dream but not practical.

Insurance, tax, servicing, petrol, miscellaneous repairs. They all add up.

Unfortunatly most people need to build up a lot of no-claims before they can consider a high insurance group car, and even then they need to consider the running costs.

you need to be realistic and get a car you can afford. Whatever people say on here for most of us a first car is a 1.0 fiesta.
Old 02 October 2004, 10:29 AM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

Anyone know what the best insurance company for scoobies is im 23 and paying £1700 third party fire and theft with elephant they seem to be the only ones prepared to insure me. its all very well but it doesnt leave me much cash for luxeries like food and rent
Old 02 October 2004, 12:38 PM
JBONDO1
Scooby Regular

The little bro has just bought a Sierra, so looks like we are gonna be donuting.

Oh yeah, I do not want to donut all the time just now and then innit!! But a bit of powerslide action is always called for!!
This looks more like a **** take?

Quick Reply: 8K to spend, for car and insurance