Legacy gtb

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 10:22 PM
dave t
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy gtb

Hi everyone,
I'm a new owner of a legacy gtb (previously owned single turbo legacy estate for 2 years (most reliable car I have ever owned).
My question is can I tell if it's a genuine GTB from engine or chassis numbers and does a 98 GTB have twin scroll turbo's and what does twin scroll mean?
My engine number starts EJ20-32 and vin starts BH501.
I found the easiest place to get performance figures for GTB was off grand turismo 3 on the playstation (apologies for being a big kid), are there any road tests of this car anywhere, I've found some in New Zealand on the net but would be interested in UK perspective.
thanks for reading and any responses,
Dave T
Old 28 September 2004, 10:31 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Dave, do a search on Legacy, there's a long running thread in general technical http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=20 on GTB's. I've an STi V3 Impreza and I'm looking for a GTB for a 2nd car - trouble is I'm after a manual one - you haven't seen any for sale have you?

Last edited by Kevin Groat; 28 September 2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:42 PM
dave t
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Dave, do a search on Legacy, there's a long running thread in general technical http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=20 on GTB's. I've an STi V3 Impreza and I'm looking for a GTB for a 2nd car - trouble is I'm after a manual one - you haven't seen any for sale have you?
Kevin,
mine is a manual, seems to go jolly well although speedo died on the m25 today and came back later.
not seen any others although test drove an older auto recently and wasn't that impressed (didn't throw me back in my seat) I got mine via autotrader,
cheers for the info
Old 29 September 2004, 01:24 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

You may want to join the yahoo legacyb4 group. Lots of twin turbo owners, and a fair swag of knowledge too.

But some of us are on here too

GTB of the BH era is a really easy pick - it'll be turbocharged (twin sequential), yellow Bilstein dampers under the guards. If it doesn't have the Billies, you'll be in a GT (drivetrain wise they are identical, except IIRC there was no manual GT in that era). The BG era was the one where GTs were most oft passed of a GTBs as they looked similar, and the name GT-B was only introed at the midlife update (BG5B and on) that debuted the Bilstein dampers and 280ps engine.

HTH
Old 29 September 2004, 10:24 PM
dave t
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AJbaseBloke
You may want to join the yahoo legacyb4 group. Lots of twin turbo owners, and a fair swag of knowledge too.

But some of us are on here too

GTB of the BH era is a really easy pick - it'll be turbocharged (twin sequential), yellow Bilstein dampers under the guards. If it doesn't have the Billies, you'll be in a GT (drivetrain wise they are identical, except IIRC there was no manual GT in that era). The BG era was the one where GTs were most oft passed of a GTBs as they looked similar, and the name GT-B was only introed at the midlife update (BG5B and on) that debuted the Bilstein dampers and 280ps engine.

HTH
thanks for the info. I will take a look,
cheers
Dave