Sponsored by:

how does your misses react when you "push on a bit"

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2004, 12:04 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how does your misses react when you "push on a bit"

coming back from wales last weekend i was tailgated for a while by what i think was a c200 kompressor but having a full complement of luggage and two sleeping nippers in the back plus a sleeping misses in the front i took it easy in the corners but kept him (easily) behind on the straights.
After a while i got a little bored and a little bit more adventurous timing my overtaking so he couldnt follow so easily.
At this point the misses woke up and i thought OH well it was fun while it lasted and i'l have to slow down but she says
"I know its naughty but i quite enjoy this"

so with a quick check on the nippers (who were still sound asleep) it was bye bye kompressor.

Thread warning NO speed limits were seriously harmed as a result of this little episode
Old 23 September 2004, 12:08 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've almost reduced mine to tears before
Old 23 September 2004, 12:09 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

My wife tends to show tailgaters a clean set of heels...ie a quick burst of acceleration, then just slows and lets them past...secure in the knowledge that they know, and she knows, and they know she knows, she could've smoked 'em.
Cman
Old 23 September 2004, 12:31 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

When i first went with the girlfriend i had a golf gti mk2 and when i first changed to the scoob she used to always think i was overtaking when i shouldn't untill we pull back in with lots to spare and she realises she now looks very stupid! Did it a couple of times in my my99 but shes never done it since i got the sti
Old 23 September 2004, 12:37 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Can't go fast enough for my missus....

She's quite happy sitting next to me at 150mph on the autobahn

My Mum is a different story!!!!
Old 23 September 2004, 12:39 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Mine likes a quick blast as well. But I have to tell her beforehand as she has a dodgy neck!!! and I have to give her time to adjust
dave
chrome
Scooby Regular

you'd be surprised how many scoobs owners I know think the same of my car.. looks standard.. but its a wolf in sheeps clothing (whos teeth are getting sharpened at the 'clinic on the 30th)
they all say to me: 'your 'kin nuts!! that overtaking looked well dodgy.' etc

all i can say is that I only drive within my limits.. and only ever overtake if its clear and I have space.
if other people behind choose to follow me then get irate if they have to squeeze into a space at the last second then thats their fault.
admittedly- if my scoob was still standard I would drive very differently and accomodate the difference.
as for the wife- we have progressed from a slap/punch on the thigh to giggles all round when making progress.. she doesnt drive either so the trust factor takes time imo.
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

When I first got my Scoob our first trip to London on the motorway was a laugh, I came down the slip road saw a safe gap and whilst still in 3rd I booted it, well the look on her face as the power pushed her back into the seat and my wife never swears, she looked at me and said I'm gonna F ing kill you
Cheers
Colin
Old 23 September 2004, 12:51 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I think the only time I really scare her is on track in my Caterham. I remember one high speed spin in particular (100mph+) and there was some colourful language over the intercom.

On the roads I take it fairly steady if I have got anyone in the car with me, but when I am on my own ....
Old 23 September 2004, 12:51 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

My wife is a very safe and cautious driver, and is always reminding me of the speed limit when she resides in the passanger seat....

One day I was driving behind my missus, she was in the STI and I was following in her micra (cant remember why)....We came up to a set of lights I was behind her and the usual bunch of chavas pulled up beside her and said nova/saxo or whatever it was started to rev and make a racket, at which point I see her turn and look calmly at them give them the finger and proceeded to smoke all four of my beloved STI 's tyres and scream of down the road like a women possessed...after I pick my jaw of the floor of the micra I follow on calmly back home were I meet up with her and she says oh that car brings out the worst in me...:0 :0

Hense she doesnt drive it much now...
Old 23 September 2004, 12:59 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Myself and the GF (now fiance) took our first holiday touring Devon and Cornwall, this was about 3 years ago. It was the first time she had been subject to a spirited drive in the car, and endured this for a week. We nearly split up over it - the main conflict was the TED, she just couldn't comprehend that dangerous overtaking gaps for a std car was more than safe for my car.

She just didn't feel safe, which is fair enough. I got the grumps since the driving holiday turned into 'follow that caravan'
Old 23 September 2004, 01:22 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend cant drive and having never had a lesson has no comprehension of the fact that some cars can exceed the speedlimits without even attempting to go fast

Infact she hates cars full stop so any spirited driving gets done alone and in peace (relatively Speaking).
Old 23 September 2004, 01:22 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I am blessed with a daughter that vomits at the first sign of a corner, so family trips have to be taken at a snails pace.

As for the wife, she is happy with speed if appropriate, but I can tell when things are getting a little too exciting as she grabs the handle on the door for saftey. Unforunately, she has found the Impreza door handle not as "grabbable" as the one in my old Vectra company car! Poor design by Subaru.
Old 23 September 2004, 01:26 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

She doesnt bat an eyelid on the road, and on the track she didn't used to be too concerned. But now im cracking on a bit on the track she isnt keen on feeling the back drifting ( and front understeering, surely not) ....... its a question of feeling quick but secure I think
Old 23 September 2004, 01:28 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

kids love the car. Wifey loves it even more - pretty much the same sort of stories already being heard

And that's why I now have both sets of keys

Dan
Old 23 September 2004, 01:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
She doesnt bat an eyelid on the road, and on the track she didn't used to be too concerned. But now im cracking on a bit on the track she isnt keen on feeling the back drifting ( and front understeering, surely not) ....... its a question of feeling quick but secure I think
Maybe it's just you? She comes out with me
Old 23 September 2004, 01:38 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

My now ex never made a peep. In fact on one memorable moment, I was leaving a 2nd gear left hander with all 4 wheels spinning and pointing a rather fun angle. She never even looked up from her book!

That's either confidence for you..... Or why I'm now single
Old 23 September 2004, 02:21 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Embarasing as it is, my 23 year old wife, drives a 300+ bhp volvo T5. I have a humble 200bhp M3 Needless to say she enjoys handing my *** to me on the few occasions - ! Think i need a change of car, or another engine to put in the boot lol
Old 23 September 2004, 02:23 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

She wont any more ...... not after your moment ...WITH ME IN THE CAR
Old 23 September 2004, 02:31 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by davyboy
Maybe it's just you? She comes out with me
PMSL
Old 23 September 2004, 02:38 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

My other half is more noticeable of "approach" than speed, I can travel at a fair pace and she won't comment as long as it's smooth, but if ESP goes off (ok, I'm not in a scoob) and a play the tail a touch coming off a wet roundabout, she'll give me a light hearted telling off...

She's also become very astute at feeling what the car is doing, a slight lateral movement over a greasy patch in the road and she comments on it... given she doesn't drive or had any lessons, it's gonna be interesting when she does!!

Ian
Old 23 September 2004, 03:01 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Type R Is our baby We both love to drive with spirit the best thing about living in Aberdeen is 15 mins out and you are into clear twisties
Old 23 September 2004, 03:47 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Keeping up with my wife when she is driving her car is tough. Even though I've got well over 300 in the leggy, her 2.5 turbo skyline is damn quick too.

She is generally pretty good in the pax seat, but will give me a few words if I play too much on the snow She did enjoy watching me drift on the snow though - so much she got lots of pics of the white rooster tails, and zippo of the car

Me in her Skyline as a passenger is another story - I'm forever hanging onto the OSH as she fangs it through traffic Mind you, she is a pretty good driver, so doesn't really scare me stupid too often.
Old 23 September 2004, 05:31 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

depends what mood shes in . she loves a bit of a thrash around in the scoob but if shes in a bad mood no more than 50mph or its a smack round the head
Old 23 September 2004, 05:56 PM
Pittsey
Scooby Regular

If there's any kids in the car I bite my tongue and let the idiots pass, however if there isn't I like to let them know who has the upper hand.
Old 23 September 2004, 06:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

My ex got a bit funny at 162mph (Not in the Scooby).....but maybe thats because I was overtaking the bloke she was sleeping behind by back at the time!!!!
Old 23 September 2004, 06:56 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

I like to refer to my wife as the Wireless Instant Fun Eradicator. She's not really happy at going fast in a straight line and fast cornering is a complete no no and that was before she fell pregnant (I wouldn't dream of trying to drive fast with her in the car now).
Old 23 September 2004, 07:05 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

How does my misses react when I push it ?

Well she fails to understand who has broken the eggs and mixed all of the shopping up in the boot, whilst driving back through nice relaxing country lanes from a far away shopping centre.

She complains to the supermarket, telling them that their carrier bags are not sufficient...!!!!

I havent the heart to tell her

PNB
Old 23 September 2004, 07:31 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

Every time i try to push on a bit the wife say's there a whining noise coming from the back,so i look in the mirror and her Mum's sat there!
Old 23 September 2004, 07:32 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyDraven
I like to refer to my wife as the Wireless Instant Fun Eradicator. She's not really happy at going fast in a straight line and fast cornering is a complete no no and that was before she fell pregnant (I wouldn't dream of trying to drive fast with her in the car now).
Last time I nailed it in the Scoob with the missus as a passenger she went into labour.
Needless to say I never did it again

Quick Reply: how does your misses react when you "push on a bit"