Sponsored by:

juice. Super or onleaded

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2004, 06:56 PM
bullet benjy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool juice. Super or onleaded

Looking to buy this 99 uk turbo. Mailed the owner the other night to ask what he runs it on. He told me unleaded. He said he was advised of this as his scooby has had previous owners and he wasnt to sure what they had run it on so unleaded is a safe bet. Is this correct ? What if i wanted to run it on something like optimax, would there be any problem with this or would it just be a case of filling the tank with this stuff and off i go ???
Old 21 September 2004, 07:41 PM
Superloop
Scooby Regular

You can put 98ron petrol (Optimax Super etc etc) in any car that takes unleaded fuel. It recommended for Impreza's.

AFAIK
Old 21 September 2004, 07:44 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Question

I am putting myself on the line to be corrected here, AFAIK, you can increase the RON level of the fuel ie put in optimax or super after it has been run on ord unleaded, but you cannot then change back to ord UL as the ECU can learn the new fuel rating if it increases but not if it decreases.
Does this sound right to you guys?
Old 21 September 2004, 07:54 PM
Superloop
Scooby Regular

Don;t think thats correct.

All the Octane value is, is like bang per buck. Higher the octane level more bang you get so the car will be a little slower on standard 94/95 ron unleaded but it won;t damage the car.

The ecu is monitoring all the time and changes to suit octane environment etc.

IMHO
Old 21 September 2004, 09:23 PM
bullet benjy
Scooby Regular

cheers guys. Advice taken.
Old 22 September 2004, 11:49 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Standard MY99 UK Turbo is fine on normal unleaded. The ECU will adapt according to whatever fuel you use.

If you start modifying it beyond normal back box and filter mods then super/optimax is good for the extra safety margin it gives against detonation. If you have a remap, run it on what ever fuel it was mapped for, most will have it mapped for super/optimax because of the extra performance it can give.

Having said all that even a standard car will benifit from super/optimax. Makes a hell of a difference to mine (MY00), once you start using it you will never want to go back. If you want the ECU to start a fresh, run a few tanks of super / optimax through, the disconnect the battery for a few hours. Upon reconnecting the battery take it for a decent run (i.e. warm it up first, then some spirited driving 20-30 mins, usual cool off procedure) and your ECU should have learnt a whole new paramter set for the high octane fuel your using.