Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bugeye Turbo without turbo seats? how come?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 01:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Bugeye Turbo without turbo seats? how come?

Local dealers are selling a Y reg bug eye for £12495. Its got Tein coil-overs and what I think is some kind of Greddy boost controller.

What I don't get is, it hasn't got turbo seats in it? Now at first I thought it wasn't a turbo but just had turbo wheels and bonnet vent. However after having a look inside to find the controller and boost guage I guess it is.

Were some turbo models sold without the turbo seats? could the car be an import with turbo but lesser interior? the steering wheel says MOMO on it like other turbos.

Any ideas.
Old 20 September 2004, 01:46 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe a serious fatty owned it and didn't find the buckets comfortable?
Old 20 September 2004, 01:53 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Were some turbo models sold without the turbo seats? could the car be an import with turbo but lesser interior? the steering wheel says MOMO on it like other turbos.

Any ideas.
Yes.

Bugeye had two seating options.
Old 20 September 2004, 01:56 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

If you mean that it doesn't have the hip hugging bucket seats, that's not so unusual. Mine has got normal seats with fairly large side bolsters that keep you in the seat well enough and are probably more comfortable on long trips.
Old 20 September 2004, 01:56 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Question

I think bucket seats on the very early bug eyes only came in the wagon... wasnt it something to do with the saloons had side airbag front-seats instead?
Old 20 September 2004, 02:12 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Side airbag seats were a no cost option, **** knows why you would take the option though (uless you were rather portly )
Old 20 September 2004, 02:26 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

IIRC the first bugesyes only had the side airbags as Subaru guessed incorrectly that they would be the most popular. The bucket seats were the no cost option.

Unfortunately demand for buckets meant there was a large waiting list for them, and hence why some peole chose to keep the standard seats rather than face a long wait.

For some reason Subaru decided to make buckets standard on the wagon, could never really fathom that out!!
Old 20 September 2004, 05:06 PM
Mister_DJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
IIRC the first bugesyes only had the side airbags as Subaru guessed incorrectly that they would be the most popular. The bucket seats were the no cost option.

Unfortunately demand for buckets meant there was a large waiting list for them, and hence why some peole chose to keep the standard seats rather than face a long wait.

For some reason Subaru decided to make buckets standard on the wagon, could never really fathom that out!!
MattW is spot on. My 2001 Y plate WRX had the side airbag seats when I bought it a year ago. They are very comfy on long motorway journeys, but not very supportive in bends. I've now swapped mine for buckets.

DJ
Old 20 September 2004, 08:26 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I found the opposite, the scoob i test drove had the airbagged seats, and didn`t find them comfortable at all pushing my shoulders forward uncomfortably so, so opted for the bucket seats and find them way more comfortable. Thinking about getting reuphoulstered in leather. Has any one had this done using the subaru option. At nearly 1500 quid excl. fitting. Is it any good. The main reason i`m getting this doen is i don`t like all the silly little stains i`m getting on the seats from god knows where , and i think that leather will wear better in the long run if looked after.
Old 20 September 2004, 08:48 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
Side airbag seats were a no cost option, **** knows why you would take the option though (uless you were rather portly )
It was the other way round bucket seats were a no cost option. Std Seats had side airbags fitted - buckets didn't - at least it was on the MY01 I have.

At the time of the launch of the bug eye Subaru foolishly thought they should move the impreza upmarket to compete with premium brands like Audi an BMW and become less hard core.

Of course it was never going to happen and being all soft just meant those that were queuing up to buy the MY99 (7 month wait for mine) drifted away as well.
Old 20 September 2004, 09:08 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
It was the other way round bucket seats were a no cost option. Std Seats had side airbags fitted - buckets didn't - at least it was on the MY01 I have.

At the time of the launch of the bug eye Subaru foolishly thought they should move the impreza upmarket to compete with premium brands like Audi an BMW and become less hard core.

Of course it was never going to happen and being all soft just meant those that were queuing up to buy the MY99 (7 month wait for mine) drifted away as well.
When i ordered my MY02 i never requested bucket seats, they were standard (as far as i was aware) and you had to specify side airbags if you wanted them. Or maybe i was just lucky and they accidently gave me the seats i wanted
Old 20 September 2004, 09:30 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

my Y-reg wagon came with bucket seats and does not have side airbags.

rd
Old 21 September 2004, 01:41 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Side airbags were not an option on bug eye wagons (least not when I brought mine, MY02), however there were two seat options.
Old 21 September 2004, 02:10 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StevieB
I think bucket seats on the very early bug eyes only came in the wagon... wasnt it something to do with the saloons had side airbag front-seats instead?
i think that you might be right as in the new 03 wrx saloon the bucket seats don't have much top body support, but have the right amount of "back side" support as these have side SRS airbags. Tho i guess that the sti seats have a lot more body grip as they are made of different fabric.
Old 21 September 2004, 05:22 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

IIRC Euro imports only came with bucket seats with fixed (integral) headrest and harness slot. Side airbags not an option Do a search. There were loads of threads about replacing airbagged seats with non-airbagged and the insurance implications
Old 21 September 2004, 05:59 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

a bugeye by me has got them seats and its a wrx. funny body kit on it to. looks like a factory made kit to?