Sponsored by:

Wanted: Supermarket checkout girls....

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2000, 07:10 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I thought that as we now seem to have abandoned any protocol whatsoever as to where posts are put, I would "continue" the downward-spiralling trend....

There seems to be an increasing amount of "I know it's off topic but..." and "I've put this in general questions because no-one looks at...."

I obviously mistakenly thought that non-Scooby related posts went into the surprisingly-titled "Non-Scooby Related" forum.....

People have complained on here in the past about the decline in quality posts - this is further evidence that they may have a point!

The blarney about "You don't have to read it" doesn't cut any ice whatsoever.

This site is an excellent resource - please don't spoil it.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 20 July 2000, 10:34 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Hi there,
You have a good and valid point, and that is how the majority of this community feel, but what i have to ask is what exactly is it you are talking about: Are you talking about just regular posts that should be in folders such as Drivetrain etc ? or posts that are non Subaru Impreza related. I have to ask but alot of posts are put up and Evo 6's etc - do you mean you want them to be in the non scooby related folder?
I myself only look at the general questions (unless I have some spare time and am bored) and all that I can see is, people post their topics that should be in another folder such as drivetrain, to get it read.
I think this is the best bbs i have ever seen, (I should be looking at the PPrune.org , but I feel this is 100 times better) Ian

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 20-07-2000).]
Old 20 July 2000, 11:36 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

The thing is, there is currently a thread in General entitled "To Prodrive or not to Prodrive" which has had 35 posts (and still counting).

I placed an almost identical post under Drivetrain very recently and got 11 replies (and many thanks to those who replied). I am now deterred from using the correct forum.

The problem is that when searching for info you end up having to search General as well as the correct forum and then sift through masses of unrelated posts.

I don't know how we can improve forum discipline but it would be to the benefit of everyone using the site.

Cheers

Simon
Old 20 July 2000, 11:52 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Ian / Simon,

Thanks for your replies - my post was fairly subtle but my point is about putting completely unrelated posts in the General section - I don't mean car-related posts but the other "stuff"..... job ads etc.

My apologies to you both as I did not make myself clear .

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 12:05 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

The General Questions forum states 'for anything else that comes up!'. So, these off topic topics (which is a bloody stupid term anyway. The thread can go 'off topic' but it can't start off topic!!) are not out of place. I think you are extremely selective in your choice of topics to target. Simons thread about a job is just as non-subaru related as topics about gatsos, but you don't seem to have a problem with them.

This BBS is to allow Subaru owners - who presumably have at least one common interest - to share views about many things. Yes, most of them are Subaru related, but why shouldn't people sell sofas, advertise jobs topeople who they feel they know, or wish to give first bite of employment oppurtunities to?

If the threads were limited to technical issues only, I think you would quickly see people leaving the board, for, as has already been stated, it is more than just a facts database.

Geezer
Old 21 July 2000, 12:07 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Maxwell,

No offence taken - but the springs are sagging somewhat

This has got too serious by half...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 12:08 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

ROFL @ Maxwell!! (Thanks)

The "Clever People" thing was not directed at you in the same way that this thread (so you say) was not directed at me.

I don't see what's so funny about "I wanted to offer it to Scoobynet First". If you read the post you will see that it explains that quite clearly. It will be a sad day when all genuine intensions are cynically (sp?) laughed at in this way.

Respectful (but a little weary) regards

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2000, 12:14 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd just like to say that my car is faster than both Simon De Banke's and Gavin P's.

Old 21 July 2000, 12:21 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Geezer,

Where did I say that it should be restricted to technical subjects ?

My point was in a nutshell why bother having forums if they are not going to be used ?

..and they said I get wound up ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 12:23 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Blubs,

What do you expect with a pedal missing ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 12:38 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Simon,

The original post was not aimed at you directly - but was an example.

When I read your bit about "I wanted to offer it to "Scoobynet" first!" it struck me as a tame N.I.M.B.Y. excuse - but I do respect the intention, if not the manner of execution .

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point - and then show Blubs who's boss!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 12:39 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dear all,

I am currently doing some work with online communities in general, and far from for example, Simon's job ad being detrimental to the forum, I think that it adds value to the site as a whole.

I have mentioned on this site elsewhere about the idea of building Scoobynet to be much more than just a forum....as we all know if we got together and went to an insurance company as the SIDC do, then discounts can be made....this obviously can be applied to a whole raft of other things...driving holidays, track days, parts availability etc etc.

The whole idea of a community is one of a shared interest, now this can be in many forms, e.g. a 'job community' like for Doctors or a forum based on emotion e.g. Scoobynet we are all here because of an emotive association with our cars...

Sorry to bang on about all of this, but members of scoobynet all have a common interest in Subaru's, and the fact that other offers come from people wishing to show favour to fellow members should be applauded. It is this constant communication and added value that makes this site so good.

Mr Felstead and others have probably given away thousands of pounds worth of advice and guidance on this site for free, that is valuable, and by participating in the community in whatever way, you also give the opportunity to show thanks and appreciation to fellow members...

Scoobynet could be so much bigger, and once it is then I won't be complaining if there are some free scooby sofas or jobs going to fellow enthusiasts... Life is too short...

Jim
Old 21 July 2000, 12:43 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

I've not a fat bottom so I won't sit on the fence for too long. But both of you have a point.

Judging by the No. of posts Simon has made he's hardly hijacking this site aka 'opportunist spammer', but the subject is non scooby related so you could have posted there.
Then again Simons post is a 'general question' so I suppose you could post it here as well.

Who cares? The moderaters hopefully. I presume that "Ads for second-hand sofas" by one-post Newbies and the like are filtered out already.

Cheers

Justin
Old 21 July 2000, 12:52 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Gavin

blubs sounds too confident to me
Old 21 July 2000, 08:36 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Gavin

Appologies if I have offended you.

What exactly does this thread have to do with Scoobies?
Old 21 July 2000, 08:39 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

My post went into the Scoobynet general forum because it was meant for the Scoobynet community in general.

I find it difficult to understand how it could cause a problem or detract in any way from the high quality of information here.

It was quite clear what the post was for by the title. Just don't read it if you don't want to.

Just remember, this is an application to allow a community to communicate, not just a database of facts.

Regards

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 21-07-2000).]
Old 21 July 2000, 09:05 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Most people put non-car related posts in the "Non-Scooby related" forum....

I agree that this BBS is "an application to allow a community to communicate" - it is not a cheap source of job advertising IMHO

If people are looking for jobs they would generally look at related sites such as Jobserve, Jobsite, Monster,etc.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 09:28 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

OK

I accept that, but.

1) What harm does it actually do. Please explain.

2) I wanted to offer work to people within THIS community rather than just to a bunch of people I have no connection with. It was also of interest to people here as I have had LOTS of replies. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems that it was a highly appropriate place to post the message.

Regards

Simon
Old 21 July 2000, 10:03 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

What harm does it do ? - maybe a better question is where does it end ? Ads for second-hand sofas?

The vast majority of people put non-related stuff in the "non-related" forum - why are you different ?

Whilst I appreciate that you want to work with other BBS members, that doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be in General Questions....

This is not a personal attack on you - others have done it before and no doubt do it again and I am not looking for a bickering match. It just sets a bad example...

Come on, admit it - you knew you were being a naughty boy!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 10:23 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Gavin

I agree bickering solves nothing, but I think it is important to repectfully discuss this.

Ads for second hand sofas!?!? If you can imagine a situation where someone would particularly want a scoobynet reader to have their sofa, then it would be fair to assume he/she would post it here. I doubt that though. My post was a genuine gesture / offer to the scoobynet community specifically. I did not JUST want to find people. I thought I would offer the work to this community first.

Again I ask, what harm does it do?

You say my post shouldn't be in the general section. Well how general does something have to be before it doesn't relate to general anymore?

When you posted this topic. Why did you post it here? Why not in the Non-Scooby section?

Regards

Simon
Old 21 July 2000, 10:54 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Simon,

What is written under the "Non-Scooby related" forum ? I quote "Anything that has nothing to do with Subarus whatsoever"

I think that both of us would agree that this is the correct category for your post.

IMHO people who look at the "General Questions" forum are interested in Subarus and cars generally - they are not necessarily interested in job vacancies. Hence the reason why the "non-related" forum was created - why do you think it is there ?

The "General Questions" forum is the most dynamic because people are interested in cars generally - not "anything under the sun generally". Putting non-related ads in there as it is the largest potential audience is intrusive and unethical IMHO.

The argument that because you got responses makes it right does not hold water - I'm sure people who send SPAM would say the same thing....

A lot of the very experienced members do not monitor this BBS regularly anymore because of the amount of non-related posts and silliness which occurs sometimes (which this thread is getting ever closer to..).

A lot of them now frequent the 22B BBS which I notice does not have a similar post on it from you (as a moderator)? Why is that ? Possibly because Anders would stamp on it PDQ... Why is it OK to post it here then ?

Why I started the thread here I thought was pretty obvious - as it is BBS-related unlike your post!

We are going round in circles - if you can't see why it is wrong then we are both wasting our "breath".

Thanks

Gavin

Old 21 July 2000, 11:03 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Old 21 July 2000, 11:07 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GavinP:
[B]Simon,

Most people put non-car related posts in the "Non-Scooby related" forum....

Sorry to bring this up, but they are obviously not or we wouldn't be having this conversation?
Ian
Old 21 July 2000, 11:15 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Ian (Hos),

I believe that most people do - there are a few exceptions...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 11:19 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Goodness. This really has wound you up hasn't it!

Look, at the end of the day, this forum is here for the people who frequent it. I genuinely did not see my post as being intrusive or unethical as it was a post which was meant for (and ONLY for) the majority of the scoobynet community.

I ask again, what harm does it do?

But...
Because this forum is here for the community I totally appologise if I HAVE offended people. Perhaps we could have a show of hands?

My post was just as related to this BBS as this one is. This section is called "anything else that comes up", not your own oppinionated view of what it is for. That is just as much of an appropriate category as the non-scooby related forum.

I take offence to your comparing my post to spam. It was of no benefit to me to offer this work to the scoobynet community first. In fact I was risking a time wasting excercise. As it turned out, there are some stunning people on this board who are like minded in that they would like to work with other scoobynet members.

I agree they are not necessarily interested in job vacancies, but they are not necessarily interested in Octane Booster or The Latest Web Site, etc. So what the clever people do is... "Not Read It"!

I really don't know why you have taken such offense and have such a strong stand on this. You have avoided answering what harm it does even though I have asked it on every post.

It is quite obvious what GOOD it does.

But...
If enough people say here that they would rather the post was not there. I will GENUINELY appologise, and try to never let it happen again.

best regards

Simon
Old 21 July 2000, 11:19 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

So on the basis of this arguement - does the thread on the 'Audi Quattro' go in 'None Scooby Related' section - as it is most definitely not about Subaru's?

Or should it stay in 'General' because it is car related?

Or does it really matter?

What we should be more concerned with is the quality of the threads and posts rather than their position.

Chris
Old 21 July 2000, 11:22 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

PS..

I didn't post it on 22B because I wanted to offer it to "Scoobynet" first!

I didn't write it on my own BBS either.

If I wrote it everywhere, I would accept your comparisson with SPAM
Old 21 July 2000, 11:39 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Simon,

The "What harm does it do" has been answered in each post.

I personally think that "So what the clever people do is... 'Not Read It'" is rather more offensive to me personally than the comparison to the justification of SPAM....

"I wanted to offer it to "Scoobynet" first!" LOL

As you said, maybe a show of hands is the best way.

If other people don't find it annoying then fair enough, I will bite my lip in future.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 July 2000, 11:59 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Hello.....

I am interested in the second hand sofa....is it blue with gold feet and bucket seats.

Sorry, if this offends, just thought I would try and inject some humour.

At the end of the day I did not have a problem with Simon's post or any of the posts on here. Its like criticising Channel 5 television for showing purile rubbish and Cheggars **** (yes I did see it), there is an off switch.

You have the same choice on the BBS, as Simon says the title was fairly explicit in its description of the content. If you don't want to read it then don't.
Old 21 July 2000, 01:03 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

I have to go with Simon on this one.

Scoobynet is IMHO "the club" its a warm cosy kinda place (usually), where like minded people generally exchange views etc about scoobs (and other poor copies, westerfields, cosseys, EVOs etc). Its more of a community that anything else I can think of. If I had something that I felt would benefit other members of this board I would advertise it here, in the general section probably cos thats what most people read.

22B is different, its a technical forum (not saying scoobynet cant be technical). Thats what Anders wanted, and thats what he has got.

robski

p.s. got some second hand bog roll if anyones interested? (one careful owner)

Quick Reply: Wanted: Supermarket checkout girls....