Sponsored by:

Newbie, many questions, help?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2004, 10:32 PM
naughtybear
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, many questions, help?

Hi im looing for a scoob wrx about 96/98 mark and just wondered what was good, up to 8k im looking to spend.

Is the type ra btter than wrx and sti?

Also will i need to run on either optimax or or sul+plus ron boost? I have heard you can get you scoob remaped to run uk unleaded or any uk fuel etc. Someone i know says you can run it on sul only as 97 ron isnt to far away from jap 100+ron?

Last thing is, im a bit worried about getting a 96 or so car will this scoob be reliable if good condition as i dont want lots of repairs/problems.

Many thanks guys....
Old 04 September 2004, 10:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Welcome Mr. Naughtybear.
Buy WRX.Put only Optimax in it whatever.
Make sure to investigate whether it has been badly ragged or not emphesising on the engine(mileage may help).Or, you will be looking for engine re-build soon.
Good luck!
Old 04 September 2004, 10:53 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Dunno much about this, but I reckon you could do well to invest in one of those knocklink thingys
Old 05 September 2004, 10:18 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Hi mate really is a bit of a lottery with a scooby i know people with lowish mileage ones thats had trouble with them aswell as high mileage ones that have been almost trouble free,people will tell you to look for one with a full service history, low mileage and as few owners as possible.However one of me mates asked me to look round with him for a uk turbo, after looking at a few average examples(bearing in mind he was after spending about 10k) found a t-reg at a subaru dealers in lincoln 55k on clock full service history only 2 owners from same family first being a doctor,car was totally standard and mint,engine sounded sweet (probably quieter than mine with 32k on it)my mate went a test drive in it no problems had hpi check no problems car came with 1yr subaru approved warranty (luckily) he bought it, 2wks later crank started knocking couldnt believe it!!!!!!! anyway got it sorted through warranty but just goes to show even when everything seems perfect it still boils down to luck! If your after a car thats going to be no trouble at all dont buy a scooby,at the end of the day theyre a high performance car so you tend to get high performance bills!Im not trying to put you off coz i love mine to bits but just be prepared !!!!!3 out of 5 of my mates cars have had crank trouble the last ones bill (as he bought it private) was £1200 and told me that was the cheapest quote for the job that he`d had.
Old 05 September 2004, 11:27 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate just look for a good example with one which has been looked afeter mate. service history etc also if its after 50k ask if the timing belt has been changed. Don't be put off by imports just ask little questions like what do you run the car on , should be optimax and octane booster. also see if the cars got a turbo timer etc also when you go for a test drive look to see if the owner lets the car warm up before booting it. just little tell tale signs mate. you just know if someone looks afetr his car mate. personnaly i have a big quilted duvet stuck on to the side of my garage wall so as when i open the door i don't get no dings in the door and no scratches
also mine is in the for sale section now for £7250
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=353356
Old 07 September 2004, 01:20 PM
naughtybear
Scooby Newbie

LOL, some of that does put me off a bit. I know its an older motor but i thought they were reliable, sont really want to be buying parts every month...

Has anyone on here got a uk or import classic scoob that hasnt had problems?

If it hasnt been ragged and is around 50k miles should it be ok?

Cheers/
Old 08 September 2004, 01:41 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by naughtybear
LOL, some of that does put me off a bit. I know its an older motor but i thought they were reliable, sont really want to be buying parts every month...

Cheers/
Ha Ha im tempting fate here had mine a year and hasnt cost me anything other than two or three oil and filter changes,its a my/oo uk turbo,that said its pretty low mileage.
Old 08 September 2004, 02:15 PM
npa4kay
Scooby Regular

Cheers/
I've got a 99 Uk +ppp and i've had no probs wiv it.

got it wiv 38k - now has 60k ...oh apart from reg. service had to get a rad hose (due to wear ) and a headlight bulb!!!!!
Old 09 September 2004, 01:53 AM
naughtybear
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ukdave
Ha Ha im tempting fate here had mine a year and hasnt cost me anything other than two or three oil and filter changes,its a my/oo uk turbo,that said its pretty low mileage.
What year is your scoob nd milleage?
Old 09 September 2004, 06:36 AM
lee.
Scooby Regular

Wink

What year is your scoob nd milleage?
at a guess i would say 2000/ and 32k
Old 09 September 2004, 08:07 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Up till now my MY95 Uk has been relativley trouble free - Rad replacement only in 2.5 years of ownership. Oh and 65K on the clock
Daz
Old 09 September 2004, 08:33 AM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

Default Welcome

2 months ago I found, after 3 months of searching, a MY97 P reg WRX STI in superb condition for £5,500. My theory was, that at that price, if it went bang, I could afford the cost of repairs! Fingers criossed, but it's been fine, so far. The previous 2 owners kept a massive file of all work carried out, down to replacement light bulbs etc!! The guy before me was a fellow Scoobynetter and only had one problem in the 2 years he had it. (Head gasket). It has no mods other than a Scoobysport exhaust and my theory is, whether right or wrong, that if you get a largely un-modded car, it should last as you haven't messed around with the original Subaru engineering. I believe a lot of owners add bits here and there, with little knowledge of the impact to the rest of the car, which eventually leads to it going bang. Read some posts on here and you'll see how many have little knowledge of what they are doing, like me! But still try and mod their car.

Basically, if you get a well cared for un-modded WRX or even better, STI with service history and you don't fiddle too much, you should be ok. One last thing, to find out which car you should go for, look at www.sidc.co.uk and the faq section. All the info you could need on there.

Good luck.
Old 09 September 2004, 08:45 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Had a MY95 import since April with 98k on the clock and its sweet as a nut. Only run on Optimax, and since I've had it used Octane Booster (Millers) also.

At the mo on SIDC forum there is a MY99 with 62k for sale for £7.5k, and a 98 for £6.5k.

Both look good, and are UK models which means cheaper insurance and fuel shouldn't be a problem.

The MY99 looks a cracker, with sensible mods and a safe 300bhp. I think its for sale on here too.

www.sidc.co.uk

In the few months since I have been a scooby owner prices seem to have dropped a lot.

I bought mine for £5k.
Old 09 September 2004, 09:13 AM
pongo
Scooby Newbie

I've got a MY96 UK Turbo Wagon, with 93K. Bought about 6 weeks ago now. I have just had knock sensor replaced, fortunately covered by the warranty from the dealer, otherwise would have been over £200. If you have a few problems like this, I think it makes it worth while paying the premium for a Warranty, even though they don't cover everything.

It is with Rally Colin today for a New clutch - not covered by the Warranty :-(

I'm hoping not too much more goes wrong, or I might get some real pressure to explain why I didn't buy the sensible TDI estate!
Old 09 September 2004, 12:33 PM
ScoobyLee
Scooby Regular

Hi im looing for a scoob wrx about 96/98 mark and just wondered what was good, up to 8k im looking to spend.

Is the type ra btter than wrx and sti?

Also will i need to run on either optimax or or sul+plus ron boost? I have heard you can get you scoob remaped to run uk unleaded or any uk fuel etc. Someone i know says you can run it on sul only as 97 ron isnt to far away from jap 100+ron?

Last thing is, im a bit worried about getting a 96 or so car will this scoob be reliable if good condition as i dont want lots of repairs/problems.

Many thanks guys....
I'm after a WRX STI .. was looking at the Type R and RA.. Believe these two are more lightweight compared to the WRX & WRX STI .. in other words.. no goodies like AC, E/W, E/M etc etc..! Someone please quote me if i'm wrong!

Got to sell my car 1st.. before searching for the right Scooby!

Good luck in your search!
Old 09 September 2004, 01:01 PM
ScoobyLee
Scooby Regular

Apparently the Used Car Buying Magazine has a guide to buying an Impreza today. Has all the range upto bugeye.

Will have to pop out and get this!
Old 09 September 2004, 01:54 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=ScoobyLee]I'm after a WRX STI .. was looking at the Type R and RA.. Believe these two are more lightweight compared to the WRX & WRX STI .. in other words.. no goodies like AC, E/W, E/M etc etc..! Someone please quote me if i'm wrong!

Not wrong, but do remember the Version 1/2 and version 3 on are quite different. I have a MY97 version 3 STI and a mate has a MY95 STI RA. Both cars have only had one mod, Scoobysport exhaust, so interesting to see how they fair. Even though his is lightweight and very close ratio gearbox, we are very evenly matched up to about 80-90mph, then he can't keep up. The version 3 STI still has the lightweight bonnet and boot and a close ratio gearbox (not as close as the RA), but is reputed to be 300ps as opposed to 275ps on the earlier models.
Old 09 September 2004, 02:14 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi
Had MY00 PPP for 11 mths, done 30,000mls in it since then, now has 80,000 on the clock.
No probs at all, just servicing costs.
Oh and the ongoing modding program.
(Its the must have one of those syndrome and the must go faster syndrome.)
MY00 PPP + Decat, K & N, gauges, TD05 to be fitted, springs, shocks, roll bars, brakes, lightened flywheel, alloys, and the list goes on and on.
But cant wait for the apexi power fc and the TD05.
Then whats next?
Thats the biggest expense, the ADDICTION.
Jt
Old 09 September 2004, 03:35 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Had my sti 4 with 60,000 miles on the clock for 9 months now. No probs apart from exhaust leaking, got it sorted under warrenty, but then bought a blitz system anyway.
45 squid gets me around 220- 240 miles. Always use mobil 1 15w50 + filter every 3k.
Go on, u'll love it!!!