Sponsored by:

Spotting timewasters when selling car

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 08:20 PM
mc5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spotting timewasters when selling car

Well my scooby is up for sale havent had much interest apart from a couple of Ali G wanabees coming to look at the car. Spent half an hour talking about the car they obviously didnt know much about scoobys (is it 4wd, does it have a dump valve??) etc then agree to take them on a test drive loved the car obviously and said theyd call back with an offer.
Looks like they just came round for a joyride.

Really dont want that to happen again and am consdiering taking to a garage to sell. Its a great example at a good price are these cars selling?

Any idea what a dealer would offer me on the car though I rather it go to an enthusiast.
Link to ad
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357546
Old 03 September 2004, 08:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"is it 4wd" and you took them out in it?????????????????????????????
Old 03 September 2004, 09:03 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

What the answer? I'm on the edge of my seat!

is it 4wd or not?
Old 03 September 2004, 09:07 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

dealer will probably give you about 7k
if it really is a clean one then your best best bet is to wait for a genuine buyer to turn up, might take a while but it will happen.

Taffy
Old 03 September 2004, 10:02 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Wink

wots a dump valve!!

is it bit like an afteburner?? dumps fuel into the exhzorst and makes it faster!! cos thats why you get flames innit

LOL

Mart
Old 03 September 2004, 10:37 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I have to vet time wasters every day in my job. You do get use to it after a while and it can be quite entertaining watch them try to pass themselves off as serious buyers. Well in truth it's really just cheap entertainment but it does for me!

The best thing you can do to start with is to vet them over the phone. Just chat to them when they phone up and get a feel for whether or not they are serious about the car or just trying to waste a couple of hours of your lives or blag a ride in a nice car.

Questions such as Tiggs pointed out like "Is it 4wd" should really set the alarm bells ringing! If you talk to them on the phone for a bit you may put off a few of the time wasters or at the very least get a feel for if they are genuine or not.

Another thing you can do if your not too sure about them as buyers is say that you've taken a holding deposit on the car whilst a (made up) buyer gets an insurance quote. If it doesn't go you'll call them back and you need to take a few details from them. Then vet them during the call and if you think they could be ok call them back a couple of hours later. That way you won't have as many idiots ragging your car.

Hope that helps (and makes sense!)

Chris
Old 04 September 2004, 12:32 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Why should questions such as "is it 4wd"

Every 'true' scooby enthusiast knows that some models can have switchable 2 or 4wd albeit for brake testing, but still 2wd..

i rest my case

and my anoraks on ready to go LOL

M
Old 04 September 2004, 09:27 AM
New_scooby_04

Simple: Ask them if they think tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks are cool. If they say yes, it's a timewasting Chav Alert! :-)

Seriously though, hang on for a enthusiast if you can; they'll give you significantly more than a dealer! You're asking for a figure in the right ballpark, though you might have to go nearer 8k.

Looks like a very nice example- good luck.

Best
Old 04 September 2004, 11:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Although, you could get a person come along, who sounds/dresses likes ALi-G, knows absolutely nothing about cars, wants the car and has enough money to buy it!

The likelyhood of that is debatable, but there are loads of people around who know nothing about the car they want to buy...even as far as 4wd and if it has a turbo!(refer to "women" ).

I tend to look at the vehicle they turn up in. If it's old, a wreck or just a standard no thrills euro/jap box then I am rather sceptic. Timewasters also can talk posh and wear suits (if not most real timewasters in the world are like that - if you get my drift ), so you just can't go by looks. Also the age of a person is anothing thing. But, for example if a 19yr chav old turned up in an RS turbo to look, compared to a 40yr old who turns up in a bog standard mondeo. I'd reckon the chav would be the more interested person to buy. It's just the case if they had the money to do the deal (and the cars not nicked ).
Old 04 September 2004, 11:27 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
What the answer? I'm on the edge of my seat!

is it 4wd or not?
beats me -- whats the drive got to do with it - my drive is my drive and nobody elses business!
Old 05 September 2004, 09:19 AM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

I saw someone on Ebay saying any test drives were £25, taken off the price, if you bought the car! Should stop the time wasters.
Old 05 September 2004, 09:46 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keef69
I saw someone on Ebay saying any test drives were £25, taken off the price, if you bought the car! Should stop the time wasters.
Now thats a bloody good idea
Old 05 September 2004, 09:49 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even better-i might advertise my 01 for £1000,collect £25 for each test drive,then refuse to sell it
Old 05 September 2004, 07:01 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I had a guy ring up about my STi and he sounded like the biggest peasant known to man. Very vague, said he needed the car now etc... I told him to ring back the next day and he did, and agreed to come round for a look. I got a BIG mate of mine to pop round my house for when Mr Chav turned up.

When I met him he was actually ok, and turned up in a mates scoob, which was slightly reassuring (assuming they hadn't just nicked it!)

Took it for near full price - job done. I told him he wasn't driving it without proof of insurance and he was ok with it.

Im none too trusting, but people do surprise you every now and then...

MB