Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

Guys, you better read
Old 17 July 2000, 08:41 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Oh well......better forget buying a set from Stef then.

In all honesty, I prefer the 'feel' of road tyres anyway and from the way the last set of S02's from 'Tyres Northampton' performed at Donnington, my current S02's will be sufficient. Cant wait!!!!!
Old 17 July 2000, 09:41 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Hi David

You still driving the 5-door?

r
Old 17 July 2000, 10:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Out of interest, Silverstone themselves approached Dave of the RSOC & commented that there had been banter about slicks on the BBS's & therefore...

HIYA SILVERSTONE - CAN'T WAIT 'TIL THE END OF THE MONTH

Old 18 July 2000, 12:13 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Thanks harj

It's L16 COS if you want to get arsey!

No doubt next year they will want to ban Carbon Metalic pads and AP brakes cos we dont want people outbraking other cars now do we! *sigh*
Old 18 July 2000, 12:44 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Well I'de just got talked into booking, but not a chance now. £150 for the day, + £450 for tyres......yer, right.

If the reason is because of cars travelling at different speeds, then I guess the sessions will be split into car power, driver experience, and I guess Stef will get the track to himself ???, Oh maybe John could join him :-).

Ridiculous,

Mark.
Old 18 July 2000, 12:51 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All,
I have just posted on the RSOC BBS about how mad this is. If anyone wants to help sway the Silverstone officials, could they please add their bit. Also all those that were going to book, but who aren't now, also add their comments as to why not for the benefit of the RSOC organisers....
Thanks
Mike R
Old 18 July 2000, 10:00 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Anyone know if there is somewhere safe to leave my road rims + tyres at this day?

Greg
Old 18 July 2000, 10:26 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Last year there was a dedicated pit garage for this, it was still open to all the people on track but it kept the general public away.

i suppose thats the best we can hope for.
Old 18 July 2000, 10:35 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh and if silverstone are reading this, STOP BEING A BUNCH OF OVERPROTECTIVE NANNIES AND LET US MAKE OUR OWN DECISIONS ABOUT SLICKS, YOULL BE WANTING TO DRIVE THE THING FOR US NEXT!
Old 18 July 2000, 11:08 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

Why not just separate the cars so that those on slicks aren't on the circuit at the same time as those with road tyres? Can't be any harder than splitting the experienced drivers in powerful cars from the newbies in less powerful cars?
Old 18 July 2000, 11:14 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

By the way Silversone People, John Felstead drives a Westfield with Number plate ??? ???.
Old 18 July 2000, 11:35 AM
Hodge
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Since my road S02's are 'nearly new' I'm not prepared to **** £400+ for the day's entertainment. This was precisely why I got slicks in the first place (cost just over £100 a set!). So it looks like I'll be forced to pull out.
If it's likely to rain of course that's different as road tyres would be more suitable and the wear rate would also be more acceptable.

Stef: Northampton Tyres' offer of part worns. How much typically are we talking for a set on 16" ?

Also: If I have 'race suspension' (leda) and 'race brakes' (AP) do I qualify as a track car? I've got a portable fire extinguisher somewhere too.

PS the reasoning for this decision from Silverstone is ludicrous to me.
Old 18 July 2000, 01:32 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hodge.
Assuming they can source a set, about £80 or so. This includes changing them onto your wheels and then putting your road tyres back on again afterwards.
Depends on the tyres really though.

I'm not too fussed really, slicks would have been nice but at least I can go back to the sideways action now.
Besides....it may rain.

Stef.
Stef.
Old 18 July 2000, 02:22 PM
Hodge
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mike,
I'm not on the RS list so please feel free to copy over my comments if it helps.

The reason for banning slicks is based on attempting to get cars more even on track together.
This unfortunately isn't going to work.
Once you start along this path you have to be very granular about how you group cars/drivers to achieve your desired result. eg all UK cars/unmodified suspension/unmodified brakes-4pot/road tyres/new to track could be one group - change any one parameter and you get a new group. In the end we have everyone going out on their own once for 5 mins...

Being less granular and the following could happen:
eg I was at Donington and was my first time on track and happen to have a modified import WRX running leda suspension/AP brakes and slicks. I did what you do on the road and opened my eyes and used my mirrors - if someone was quicker than me and wanted by then I'd pull out of the way. Sometimes I was overtaking people, sometimes people would overtake me. I didn't see it as a problem.
Afterall this is NOT timed and NOT a race (else my insurance get upset), however we shouldn't be handicapped into turning it into a parade.

I was hoping to go and have a fun day out, one that isn't going to cost too much. If I **** £400 of tyres then I don't call it fun - it's the Yorkshireman in me (it's bad enough doing less than 9mpg at £4 a gallon). Slicks are a cheap alternative that also happen to be much safer due to the increased grip available and the fact that they are designed to last in this environment.

I look forward to any responses posted today, esp from Silverstone.
If slicks are still off the menu then I'm afraid I'll be pulling out.
I thought about a set of part worns (for the slick shod alloys) but I've just managed to clear my shed of the last lot and don't really want to go through that again.
If it's wet then I'd run the S02's. If it's dry then I won't. A bit of a gamble for a £150 day.
Old 18 July 2000, 02:41 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Hodge,
You can view my comments on
Old 18 July 2000, 04:04 PM
Hodge
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Read it and I agree.

Added my 2c.
Old 18 July 2000, 05:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cheers...
Old 18 July 2000, 11:00 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

What do I do!!!!!!!!

I have already got a place booked, and was also in the process of getting hold of some slicks. But if I cant use them, then I'm not sure if I want to go.

I shall be contacting the RSOC tomorrow about cancellation/refund.

As much as I want to drive around the great Silverstone circuit, if they organisers cant trust the people whos cars are going on the track perhaps they should reconsider letting us use the track for such events.

Dan

P.S. Mike sorry, but bit pushed for time. If you want please post this on the RS BBS.

[This message has been edited by Danny Fisher (edited 18-07-2000).]
Old 19 July 2000, 08:22 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Danny,
I think they will get the message when people start phoning and cancelling.....
Thanks
Mike
PS. John has put a link to here anyway....
Old 19 July 2000, 09:19 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>Thanks harj

It's L16 COS if you want to get arsey!

No doubt next year they will want to ban Carbon Metalic pads and AP brakes cos we dont want people outbraking other cars now do we! *sigh*[/quote]

John I've already been informed that any kind of driver aids(abs, traction/launch control etc) will be banned from next year.
Also all cars must be fitted with a woodern plank in order to regulate ride height and that there must be no more than 3mm worth of wear on the plank.

Silverstone are also insisting that all tyres now have 4 grooves cut into them in order to reduce mechanical grip.

Old 19 July 2000, 09:40 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

... but if you drive a red car, you can chop people up to your heart's content and not get into trouble.
Old 19 July 2000, 10:13 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

david, that should be "if you are called Malcolm Wilson and are driving a Puma cosworth 4x4 you can drive like a t**t and cut people up to your hearts content".

Just a slight memory from last year, the only to$$er on track was a guy who should know better.
Old 19 July 2000, 10:21 AM
TonyB
Scooby Regular

I'll just have to remove the 6-wheel conversion, skirts and sucker fan, then.

It's probably been said before, but the best route to go to avoid the cost of ruining nearly new road tyres is to use nearly bald road tyres.

I'm sure Silverstone won't be coming round with depth gauges!

Worn road tyres don't wear at anything like the rate of new tyres because the tread blocks don't move around and overheat on the track. I'll be using barely legal PZeros on my old 16 inch rims as I did at my last two track days. I know that Tyres Northampton often have a stock of part-warns, why not give them a call?

Tee Hee, can't wait!

Tony
Old 19 July 2000, 08:06 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Robman: Yeah, still driving the 5dr (and its still red so I'll be cutting everyone up or does it need to have a prancing horse on the front to qualify )

Hodge: At the last SIDC Donnington day 'Tyres' loaned me a set of 16in scooby alloys with good S02's for £80. Much better than faffing about switching tyres etc.

However, this obviously adds to the cost, which at my last trackday was:
£80 to enrole (or something like that)
£50 for a 'pre trackday' check
£80 for insurance
£120 for the 3 tanks of petrol
£80 for the tyre rental
and because I was rather heavy on the brakes:
£200 for new Pagid 'blues'
£500 for new rear disks and 1155's

So no wonder I came home and wanted to sell the car!!!!

But thats in the past and I've got over it and hopefully this event will be kinder on the pocket. C U all there.
Old 19 July 2000, 08:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

HOT OFF THE PRESS!

Slicks allowed but only group C (experienced).

See open post to Dave on RSOC &
Old 19 July 2000, 08:52 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Right then here we go UPDATE TIME.......

Phoned Trudi at the RS group to try and cancel, told that I would only get a 50% refund, NOTHING MORE..... Not a happy chappy.

Spoke to David Rose, the gent who is the track do-ordinator, he has had long conversations with Silverstone today. They are now allowing slicks to be used if, and only if you go in the expert driver times. By expert he means people that have done 5/6or more track days.

Silverstone say that they have lotus's out on the track all day on normal road tyres, and that they do not have problems, must be driving Miss Daisy around the track.

To say that this is a little bit out of order is an under statement. I shall be contacting Silverstone tomorrow about the possibility of using road legal slicks (14% cut), I'm not of the standard that would mix it up with some of the people that I know are going to be on the track. MIKE take the hint......

I hope this clears it up some what. I shall update this when I know more.

DAN
Old 20 July 2000, 10:47 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

UPDATE TIME…

I have just spoken to Nick at Silverstone, he has been the RS point on contact for the track day. He has given the OK for intermediate tyres to be used, by this they mean road legal intermediates.

So for us boys and the girlies that drive those RS things, we don’t have to be placed in the experienced category.

Danny