Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if you have tinted your windows and get pulled?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2004, 10:58 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What happens if you have tinted your windows and get pulled?

They will make you remove the film im sorry to say.

I got stopped last night and the w*nker did a test on my front side windows and i only got a 17.3 light result where i needed 70.
I told him that i was in a rush and we got a phone call of the babysitter as our son was having an astma attack but he ignored us and we spent 15 mins ripping the film off.
I also told the guy that i have some of his local bobbys into my work where they get free food at the end of the night (with whats left over after we shut) from us that in turn goes into the police station depo which they all share. I thought he may be a bit compasionate knowing this but it did nothing so now when the local plod come in there will be no food or coffes for them so thanks to this bobby who stopped me he will spoil it for the rest.
I don't care but im not being treated like this as im feeling very bitter with him over all this but more over my child at home that was suffering and all he could say to the mrs was i can call you a taxi while i stayed with the car.
I only lived about 2 mins away from where i was stopped and asked if he could follow me there and we would sort it but he was just too stubburn.
He made me rip them off on the spot and now i have all sticky stuff left behind after the film so my car looks a right mess.
Man it felt like someone was taking a key to the sides of my car i can tell ya.

He also proceeded to tell me he got another Scooby last week as if he was bragging about getting his new found t*sser powers.
After they were off the car i felt a little bitter and asked him well ok then now they are off what if i put my sunglasses on now?
He said that if i did that he would do me for dangerous driving! (er ok mr plod!) I can hear it now, man prosecuted for wearing sunglasses in car.
Also this brings a valid point as i dont think you can get done with wearing sunglasss in a car and these sunglasses will be the same situation with letting light into your field of view etc as window tints so what they going to do about that?
Also my car is a jap import so the rear windows and back windows already came with standard tinted glass. The reason i had the front sides tinted was i thought and still do that the car looks ****e with the front sides not done to match.

The regulation has changed because of an incident of a car with window tints killing someone on a bike.
However i personally think its a load of old sh*te as your not telling me that if the car had no tints then the car would of not hit the motorcycle?
Accidents happen on a daily basis, some are fatal and not nice but im sure there have been more accidents with cars hitting motorcycles that have NO TINTS but thats ok i guess.
Trouble is with our country and others is that we are always looking for a cause or someone or something to blame. Take for example some shootings in an american school, they found out the guy played video games so guess what happend? Yep thats right it was the video games fault... LMAO as if!!

However i can understand it to a point and my windows were not limo black just dark smoke but i think 70% light permitted at front sides is a little too steep really.

Anyhow i will be taking the car in again as im not going to let t*ssers like this policeman think he is a hand of god and i shall be getting a lighter tint at the front which may not be as noticeable.

Is there no tint/film out that can let a lot of light in the car but still look dark?

Anyhow my essay is over so thanks for reading guys...
Old 23 August 2004, 11:08 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Some coppers are a complete disgrace to the force.If my son was having an attack id have jumped in the car and driven straight home deal with the consequences later after all family comes before anything and that includes arrogant timewasting jobsworth coppers

just my 2p
Old 23 August 2004, 11:13 AM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

It all sounds a bit strange! getting you to remove your tints at the roadside seems a bit excessive... and as for the sunglasses, well thats just pathetic!

Makes me wonder if he also stops the school-run 4x4 tinted merc's, beemer's & Jeep brigade? as they all seem to be limo tinted.... (bet he doesn't)

Don't stop the other rozzers having their free eats.. not their fault & you never know if it had been one of them that stopped you it just might of been a verbal warning!
Old 23 August 2004, 11:20 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

why invite this hassle in the first place? everyone knows the rules about front tints, get them done at 70% and avoid this.

T
Old 23 August 2004, 11:22 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Was it the bad taste police, and will also make people remove lexus rear lights and neons at the roadside?
Old 23 August 2004, 11:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OK - so we have just one side of the story here, be interesting to see what the copper had to say,

I am just wondering why people break the law (speeding, small number plates, tints etc etc) knowing full well what they are doing and then complain when they get caught.

All in all I think you got off pretty lightly.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:47 AM
ScoobyLee
Scooby Regular

On my current car, i've got 35% tints all-round! Never been pulled for them!

I'd love to see what the pigs do about cars with tinted glass rather than the film.

"Excuse me your majesty, I have to do a light test bcoz you've got your windows tinted!"
Old 23 August 2004, 11:51 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

17% is probably one of the lowest I have heard of. They are usually about 30 or 40%, but 17% - at night surely you cant see anything???

Sorry to hear about your son and I hope he was ok.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:56 AM
blue haze
Scooby Regular

you would have thought that winding down the windows would have provided you safe passage back home without killing any cyclists!

in the future, wind down the windows and remove the fuse. hey presto 100% clear windows. thank you officer.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:58 AM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Why is it police are the only profession that get criticism for simply doing their jobs?
Everyone knows excessive tinting is illegal...the reason being that it's the driver that might not be able to see properly, possibly knocking, for example, someone off their bike!!!
By suggesting you would now wear your sunglasses instead, you failed the attitude test....should you have done so and a copper deemed that given light conditions it seriously affected your ability to see, then yes, dangerous driving would be well worth considering.
I'd say you got off lightly....i'm not suggesting you were lying about your son to get away with it(and i hope he's okay), but should you have not been ultra cooperative to minimise your disruption and get back to him as soon as possible??
And yes i'm a copper, so feel free to have a pop, i get it at least twice every working day, mostly from motorists using their mobile phones, so it's water off a ducks back!!!
Old 23 August 2004, 12:00 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyLee
On my current car, i've got 35% tints all-round! Never been pulled for them!

I'd love to see what the pigs do about cars with tinted glass rather than the film.

"Excuse me your majesty, I have to do a light test bcoz you've got your windows tinted!"
They get a VDRS to change the glass in 14 days.....form not returned, then summons appears!!!
Old 23 August 2004, 01:11 PM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the support guys. And yes my son was fine when i got back if a little distressed.

Regarding traffic cops, from what i have been told the usual bobbys that come into our shop do not get on with them and you will find the traffic plod stick together as bobbys on beat so to speak have very different views to them.
Same can be said about bobbys on motorcycles...

in the future, wind down the windows and remove the fuse. hey presto 100% clear windows. thank you officer.
That sounds interesting. Was thinking kinda this afterwards. What if say i drove past and he saw my windows tinted and if i had my front windows on a hidden switch so that if i get pulled i wound the windows down fast and flicked the switch so that the windows would not go up.
Could they still prosecute me for my windows not apparently working? Is there a law that says you have to have windows in your car?

Now im wanting to get my side windows re done but i have heard this information regarding falling between levels and can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

1. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £2000.

2. For between 30% and 45% of light transmission the vehicle is assumed to be unfit for use but not to pose an immediate danger. A delayed prohibition is issued and the owner has up to ten days from the date of issue to remove the tint.

3. At less than 30% the legal position is that driving the vehicle would involve a risk of injury, and the vehicle cannot be moved under its own power from the issuing of the prohibition notice until the tint has been removed.
http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/ev..._else/2276.asp

So if this information is true then falling between number 1 above and you get told to remove them and thats it?

WRX pete, i don't know if your a traffic bobby or not but it just annoys me and others when some of the traffic police seem to concentrate all their effforts and resources into this type of thing when they could be out doing real police work.

Also on a side note my mum had trouble in the shop i work and the window was put through and she got threatened with some drunks and she called 999 and they never even turned up...

Guess they were out busy stopping motorist for some real crimes like window tints then..?
Old 23 August 2004, 02:26 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

traffic police seem to concentrate all their effforts and resources into this type of thing when they could be out doing real police work.
Traffic Police Officer = Police Officer that deals with traffic law

*flame suit on*

Last edited by TDT; 23 August 2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 23 August 2004, 02:49 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Make a complaint to the police complaints authority - did you get his PC number and name?
Old 23 August 2004, 02:55 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

And make a complaint about what? The bloke was doing his job!

There are always two sides to every story.........
Old 23 August 2004, 02:59 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Of course - but if I felt that wronged - I would ......
Old 23 August 2004, 03:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Think I should reply as i'm a copper too!
Bear in mind that i drive a JDM STi and have my REAR windows tinted as came like that from Japan.
As a young STi driver i've probably experienced being pulled over etc as much as anyone else on here.
With regards to window tints it is legal to tint your rear windows as dark as you want, I wouldn't recommend tinting front windows at all as when manufactured they have a slight tint on them so any further tinting would push you over the legal limit.
Thats what I was told by a traffic officer as I was working traffic covering someone else last week.
For traffic police pulling over cars with defects, catching speeders and dealing with accidents is "real police work"

P.S- were not all bad! lol
Old 23 August 2004, 03:20 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

as scooby-tc said my son would come first wether i was breaking the law or not! although you should have thought about the tinting darkness before you had them done!
My family will always come first over everything!
Old 23 August 2004, 03:29 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

DJ

I'm not going to get involved in the argument about what's right and wrong and the police officers attitude as I wasn't there. Preventing deaths on the road is real police work.

The regulation has changed because of an incident of a car with window tints killing someone on a bike.
However i personally think its a load of old sh*te as your not telling me that if the car had no tints then the car would of not hit the motorcycle?
However this is entirely correct, these regs were put in place following a motorcycle rider who was killed due to a car that had limo tint on the front windows. IIRC the car pulled out at night in front of the bike as he couldn't see it. Despite the motorcycle coming round the corner with its lights on he claimed he couldn't see. Tests showed that car headlights could not be seen easily through his tints at night.

Last edited by Nathan L; 23 August 2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 23 August 2004, 03:34 PM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

More rozzers on Scoobynet than "The Bill" and I hope you are ALL off-work rather than sitting on your fat underpaid ***** on company time (like me ) when you should be out catching real criminals.....

[Teflon-ceramic-flamesuit on ]

Last edited by LiamWR1; 23 August 2004 at 03:36 PM. Reason: To avoid a "pay-back" pull at a later date
Old 23 August 2004, 03:42 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LiamWR1
More rozzers on Scoobynet than "The Bill" and I hope you are ALL off-work rather than sitting on your fat underpaid ***** on company time (like me ) when you should be out catching real criminals.....

Cheeky git! LOL

It's my day off!
Old 23 August 2004, 03:43 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

I can't access ScoobyNet at work - firewall says I've tried to access ****.

Overpaid IT staff obviously got nothing better to do!
Old 23 August 2004, 05:18 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LiamWR1

LOL
Old 23 August 2004, 05:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You effectively invalidate your insurance too, so think yourself lucky that he didn't do you for driving without it
Old 23 August 2004, 06:00 PM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
DJ
However this is entirely correct, these regs were put in place following a motorcycle rider who was killed due to a car that had limo tint on the front windows. IIRC the car pulled out at night in front of the bike as he couldn't see it. Despite the motorcycle coming round the corner with its lights on he claimed he couldn't see. Tests showed that car headlights could not be seen easily through his tints at night.
So that would be limo tint and not what was on my car. Personaly i think limo tint is way OTT and agree that level of tint is far too much.
Ever thought that the guy could of easily used the tints as an excuse to get off a far more serious crime with the event.
So what happens to all the other peoples cars that kill motorcyclists that have no tints then?
Gross neglegence and the exact same thing this guy tried to avoid when he blamed it on the limo tints.

People like to push the blame onto other things and look for a scapegoat, shame the courts bought into this one...
Old 23 August 2004, 06:17 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Looks like the Rozzers have their work cut out as there are loads of vehicles that have been Pimped.

The Pimp man who Pimped my Ride was fully booked for 2 weeks !!!

How do they test the Windows ? I had a copper put a white pice of paper behind the glass once and it Appered a bit too dark.. but there was no conclusion..
Old 23 August 2004, 06:21 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Anyone know the % of tint on the Type Rs ?? as i could not see out in the Dark when reversing, it was really pot luck on some occasions
Old 23 August 2004, 06:24 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ this cobblers.

I've never been stopped or had to do anything embarrassing to do with non-regulation or illegal add-ons on my car.

COS I DON'T FOOKING HAVE ANY!

Simple concept, but one I find works
Old 23 August 2004, 06:26 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Go Bubba
Old 23 August 2004, 06:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Where've you been all day, riding Dennis?

Quick Reply: What happens if you have tinted your windows and get pulled?