Sponsored by:

What was it?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2000, 06:56 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys i need some help.
Yesterday i was travelling down a 30mph road (town) in South wales and before it was to late i recognised a police van, you know like the ones they keep the dogs in, parked on the side of the road. The strange thing was that it had a rather large pole about 3/4 the size of a telegraph pole sticking out from the roof with a white rectangular camera pointing in the direction i had just came from. Now what the hell was it, it looked like a go-go gadget van. It had CCTV written on the side of it with the police emblem alongside. Now i talked to my mate who is a copper and he told me it might have been a speed trap. If so does anyone know of such a vehicle being used to catch speeders or might it had been just a survailence van. I know one thing it looked dam weird to me. It seemed strange that it was pointing down the road. I did have a peak in through the windscreen (side windows were tinted) as i turned to get a better look, and it seemed to be unmaned. I don't think anything might happen in reguards to penalty points but im still a bit iffy. so does anyone have any ideas as to what it was?

PS. I was slightly over the 30mph limit posted, so im a bit worried as i cannot aford to have any more points on my license.
1/2 an hour later the van had gone.
Old 17 July 2000, 10:23 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sounds like an Auto Vision speed camera.
There are normally rubber wires on the road which trigger the camera in the van.
Have a look at the Speed Trap web site.
Old 17 July 2000, 11:38 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

If it said CCTV on the side that may be exactly what it was.
There are a number of marked vans in Northampton that look exactly like the ones shown on the above site, which are manned at all times.
If it was a speed camera it would seem pointless having the camera raised so high.
It would only alert people easier and they'd catch less people speeding, therefore making less money for themselves.
Unlikely....

Stef.