Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to look for (buying a scooby)

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2004, 08:28 AM
scooby scoop
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for (buying a scooby)

hi, I am planning on buying a scooby in the near future.Probably a 96ish WRX.What sort of things should I be looking for to ensure I don't buy a duffer.

Although I would prefer to buy private do any of you know of a good reputable dealer? I have had a look at mcKay trading (beaverbank Edinburgh) but although the cars look minted they seem overpriced? and the dealership in Camelon Falkirk were not overly convincing that they knew their stuff?

Any advice would be great.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:14 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Go see Andy at JVS. (Loanhead) www.powervehicles.com

They'll give you all the advice you need, and probably sell you a minter at the same time.
Old 18 August 2004, 05:42 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby scoop
and the dealership in Camelon Falkirk were not overly convincing that they knew their stuff?

Any advice would be great.
Surely you don't mean the *cough* wonderful *cough* Drive Subaru and Isuzu in Camelon, Falkirk

I bought my car there and had no hassles from their one and only Subaru Salesman Derek McCrae - nice guy who knew his stuff - he is gone now however and it is just the people who sold Nissan, Rover and whatever else who sell the Subaru's now as far as I am aware. STI-04!! will fill you in on his dealings also.

I must say I DO NOT USE DRIVE FOR SERVICING OR REPAIR - they as yet have no showroom, no proper Subaru workshop facilities and I am unconvinced that my car would not just be serviced or repaired by a Rover or Nissan tech who was not busy - no thanks - if I take it to Subaru I want a Subaru trained technician on my car, otherwise I would take it to many much cheaper local garages who are also good.

A.F. Noble in Penicuik (who I use for service and repair) and S&S in Ayr know their stuff, are well established and will not sell you a duffer, but they are Main dealers.

Also, as the 1996 WRX is a Japanese Import, they pretty much won't touch it for servicing or for sale - Subaru UK don't like their dealers touching Japanese imports for some reason, although some will service and repair then when out of warranty.

There are often many good cars on here for good prices and looked after by careful (sometimes) owners. I must stress a FULL SERVICE HISTORY is vital for these cars as is regular oil changing.

Whatever car you are buying, get it RAC or AA inspected (or other). You don't want a big engine rebuild 2 weeks after buying!!

All the best in your search

Brian
Old 18 August 2004, 07:38 PM
ScoobyLee
Scooby Regular

I was just going to create a thread the same as this, until i noticed this one!

I'm looking to get a 96-99 WRX STi .. What sort of mileage is reasonable? Noticed a few around 40K .. the majority are all in 60K+.

Is there a big service at a certain mileage for a Scooby? i.e. Punto owners need a big service at 70K .. which costs no less than £300-£400!!

Can anyone also tell me the difference between a WRX and a WRX STi ? (Sorry, typical newbie Q!)

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Scooby scoop!

Lee.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:50 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

WRX- good, STI- Better.
Old 18 August 2004, 11:11 PM
stiks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Surely you don't mean the *cough* wonderful *cough* Drive Subaru and Isuzu in Camelon, Falkirk

I bought my car there and had no hassles from their one and only Subaru Salesman Derek McCrae - nice guy who knew his stuff - he is gone now however and it is just the people who sold Nissan, Rover and whatever else who sell the Subaru's now as far as I am aware. STI-04!! will fill you in on his dealings also.

I must say I DO NOT USE DRIVE FOR SERVICING OR REPAIR - they as yet have no showroom, no proper Subaru workshop facilities and I am unconvinced that my car would not just be serviced or repaired by a Rover or Nissan tech who was not busy - no thanks - if I take it to Subaru I want a Subaru trained technician on my car, otherwise I would take it to many much cheaper local garages who are also good.

A.F. Noble in Penicuik (who I use for service and repair) and S&S in Ayr know their stuff, are well established and will not sell you a duffer, but they are Main dealers.

Also, as the 1996 WRX is a Japanese Import, they pretty much won't touch it for servicing or for sale - Subaru UK don't like their dealers touching Japanese imports for some reason, although some will service and repair then when out of warranty.

There are often many good cars on here for good prices and looked after by careful (sometimes) owners. I must stress a FULL SERVICE HISTORY is vital for these cars as is regular oil changing.

Whatever car you are buying, get it RAC or AA inspected (or other). You don't want a big engine rebuild 2 weeks after buying!!

All the best in your search

Brian
But they do supply oil filters without asking for chassis numbers, engine numbers, driving license/passport ID inside leg measurement like some Eastern based dealers.

Still the rest is true