Sponsored by:

Opinion on mint classic scooby pricing sought

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2004, 03:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Opinion on mint classic scooby pricing sought

Hi all,

I may have had a result :-) I've tracked down and am currently considering purchasing a mint 99' unmodified scooby turbo 2000 with....wait for it...16k on the clock! I've taken the sensible precaution of having it HPI checked and inspected by the AA. Awaiting findings on the latter.

Anyway, my question concerns its price. The asking price is just shy of 10k. V. Good compared to dealers, but still a lot for a car that is nearly 5 years old. Assuming that the milage is genuine, how much do you thing a reasonable offer would be, or -given the rarity of such a lightly used example- do you think I should pay pretty much the asking price.

Any views appreciated.

Best.
Old 14 August 2004, 03:11 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

just over a year ago i paid about 12k from a dealer on a my99 classic, with 40k on the clock, good deal you have there, price is fair to me
Old 14 August 2004, 03:21 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sounds like a fair price for a totally mint car. The car is worth what you feel comfortable paying.

Suresh
Old 14 August 2004, 03:24 PM
Julian Barrett
Scooby Regular

Hi
You can have my one owner W plate (07/00) STI V6 for £12,500.

It's in good nick with FSH.

It is taxed and MOTd.

Completely standard other than 17 OZs & T1-Ss and a Cobra alarm.

Mileage is 54K. I can mail you pictures.

Give me a ring. 07802 251985

Julian
Old 14 August 2004, 04:25 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound a bad price given the mileage. Has it got Full Service History? - it should still have had cambelt done etc.
Old 14 August 2004, 08:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Indeed, check that the servicing has been kept up to date. It's every 6 months if you don't do the miles.

FWIW, I got just under £9000 for my 70k MY00 with PPP and 17" Prodrive wheels, so £10k for such a low mileage example doesn't seem unreasonable at all. Just be sure it's what you want; for that money you could get a perfectly good STI with a few more miles on it, and be aware that Scooby engines either go on forever or die suddenly and without warning.

Do also consider that you may well end up modifying it anyway - most owners do, because the standard car does have shortcomings that most people like to fix. A totally standard car may seem like a desirable, safe option, but it may well cost you in the long run.
Old 14 August 2004, 08:27 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Don't be fooled into thinking that just because the mileage is low that you are on to a winner, sometimes below average mileage (and this one is at 3,500 per year) isn't always good for the car as it may be have been sitting unused under a tree for months at a time.
I think £10k for a standard 99 is the maximum you should pay.
Old 14 August 2004, 09:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Julian-Many thanks, but I'm afraid I can't stretch to the insurance on an sti. Sounds like a good buy though! Best of luck with the sale.

Ian- yes it does, I would only consider a car with FSH. I wanted a cherished one! :-) It's had the 25k service done rather early! :-)

Eeek, the prospect of an engine giving up at such low mileage makes the blood run cold! I'm having it professionally inspected (AA advanced inspection); that's about as much as I can reasonably do.

Having driven the standard scooby I can say that it is fast enough for me at present! :-)

Best.
Old 14 August 2004, 11:28 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand why your quoting a 25K service when it was 22.5K at 18 months or 30K at 2years
I have a MY99 registered 11/99 and it has had 10 services, the last being 54 months (4.5 years) or the 67,500 mile service although the mileage is less than this
Old 15 August 2004, 12:32 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

New Scooby,

At the end of the day it's up to you. If it all checks out go for it.

Make them an offer you never know !!!

Re -the motor blowing, any Scooby you get my go. There are thousands of Scoob's out there that have run for years without probs.

Best of luck

Red.
Old 15 August 2004, 02:10 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Id be concerned about such a low mileage i think.
Old 15 August 2004, 07:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Red, Yeah, there is always a risk when buying a performance car, all you can do is go to practical lengths to minimise it. Unmolested Scoobies tend to be reliable (touchwood) :-) and there is a large and friendly community out there to offer advice if things should go a little pear shaped.

Marc- The mileage is very low, but the seller had a genuine reason and the service history checks out. Furthermore, to my untrained eyes, the car felt very tight and together...no squeeks and rattles, no wear on the interior or controls. We'll see what the AA has to say. If it is genuine then one would be forgiven for thinking that- given the fact that it appears to also have been looked after properly- this can only mean a least a couple of years of headache free motoring! :-)

I was thinking of going for the PPP straight away, but having driven the standard version, I think I'll just settle with some cosmetic mods: colour coding, STi 5 spoiler and a louder backbox.. . . . . for now! :-)
Old 15 August 2004, 09:44 PM
Roblad
Scooby Regular

I Think 10K is a good price if the car is genuine, you may be able to take out extended subaru warranty which would give you peace of mind.

I paid over the odds for my Classic MY00 but have no regrets, it is totally bog standard and in such good condition I cannot bring myself to mod it yet.

If it drives tight like you say then it is probably genuine. For me a well driven Impreza is quite fast enough on a nice twisty B Road.

Good luck and if you get it post some pics!!.