Sponsored by:

Evolution Fan Writes Prodrive STi review in Local Paper

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 07:16 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Evolution Fan Writes Prodrive STi review in Local Paper

Have a read of this article by Suzi Bostel in Todays Plymouth Evening Herald.
I'm sure it was meant to be tongue in cheek but those burberry remarks are a little, shall we say, 'unfortunate'

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that the world is divided into Impreza drivers and Evolution drivers. I, for one, am in the latter group.
For a start I don't wear enough Burberry to fit into the first. And puh-lease don't even get me started on the Imprezas looks; the enormous hooter-looking air inlet protruding rudely from the bonnet. The Del-boy gold coloured spoked alloy wheels, the Barbie pink STi badging....But that hasn't quite put me off getting to vice-like grips with a Prodrive modified WRX STi.
Nor really a fan of the Impreza clan, I've not paid much attention to the plethora of WRX AWD imprezas on the forecourts, not least because of their confusing and ever-changing range of near-identical models, exacerbated by their impossibly long titles.
What I do know is that Subarus latest and newest Impreza WRX STi Type UK is available with a Prodrive developed performance pack, just in case you don't find the standard 261 bhp car quick enough. While the performance pack doesn't fundamentally alter the Impreza, it gives that little bit extra; a WRX STi with the kick of an angry mule, courtesy of Prodrive. Stump up £1995 and the Banbury-based pack will reward you with a power boost to 300bhp at the same 6000rpm as the standard model.
However, once the wheels start rolling, you may be disappointed to find out that the basic characteristics of the standard WRX STi remain the same.
When constrained to city-driving the Impreza still has that slightly jerky throttle response and turbo lag, while the engine feels rather sluggish in the power stakes below 3000rpm (although burning off the gel-spiked pock faced driver in the sports job next lane over won't be a problem)
Once the city sights are in your rear view mirror and you have a clear road ahead it's a different story, with most cars struggling to keep the impreza's now standard rear spoiler in sight.
Flex your foot to get the needle above 3000rpm, make quick clean changes through the six-speed gearbox, boost the turbo, and it's good old head to the headrest time as the impressive power surge takes you all the way to the 7900rpm red line.
Leave the radio off and listen to that celebrated boxer-engine growl, accentuated by Prodrive's large diameter, free flow exhaust, providing a more fitting aural accompaniment to the sporting flat-four motor.
Not only does the WRX STi Prodrive have serious horsepower, with a 0-60mph time of 4.6 seconds and 0-100mph of 12 seconds it has all-wheel drive to effectively put it to use.
Although it's not quite as violent to drive as the Mitsubishi Evolution, the new STi has a stiffer floorplan than the older version, making the salon body 250 per cent more resistant to bending than the first ever Impreza.
A tweak here and there to the suspension, add on inverted suspension struts like on the WRC rally car and revise the steering to get plenty more driving feel, from top to toe, than in earlier drives.
Fast on the roads, the Subaru slashes it's way through corners thanks to the impressive grip that seems to transport you into a world made of Velcro.
With less roll than on the old STi, it's body control is mighty, leaving you in no uncertain terms of the cars prowess to just grip and go.
Fast cars need fast brakes and the Bembro ABS braking system with EBD ensures maximum braking control for the 155mph max-speed Subaru.
With racing stle seats and a sporty, fat rimmed 3 spoke Momo steering wheel, the STi's cockpit can't be mistaken for a standard WRX's. But in spite of their racy appearance, the seats don't hold you as tightly as you'd expect-and hope.
Producing more pulling power between 3000rpm and 5800rpm than the standard STi has at it's peak, the £1995 Prodrive performance package is money well spent.
The pack, which carries Subarus full three-year/60,000-mile warranty, comprises a revised engine control unit, high flow catalyst and sports silencer.
Put simply, it buys you more fun and gives you an edge of raw acceleration, with 30 per cent more torque than the standard at 2500rpm.
Still, not enough, however, to tempt me into Burberry.
Old 13 August 2004, 07:25 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I fear he may have missed the point of the car and PPP somewhat as well as made a misguided judgement on his generalisation of Scooby drivers.
Old 13 August 2004, 07:28 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

exacerbated by their impossibly long titles

That's rich!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 MR FQ-340 hmmmmm.........

Off to put on my Burberry kit

Dan
Old 13 August 2004, 07:29 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
I fear he may have missed the point of the car and PPP somewhat as well as made a misguided judgement on his generalisation of Scooby drivers.
'He' is a bitch
Old 13 August 2004, 07:39 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
'He' is a bitch
So he is! LOL @ me

I'd forgotten the 1st line by the time i'd got to the bottom of the review!

Damn short attention span. Now where was i...................
Old 13 August 2004, 07:46 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

"Still, not enough, however, to tempt me into Burberry."

god knows how you quote stuff on here!

however i used to live in plymski and the "Janners" have a great deal to answer for!

i remember when Jim "TC" Honeywell got an STI about the same time i bought my scoob and there were hardly any in the city. must be littered alive with them now judging by those comments!
Old 13 August 2004, 09:28 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Her boss:

Bill MARTIN
bmartin@eveningherald.co.uk

or his DDI: 01752 765531

Off to put on my Burberry for the drive to work for the night shift!
Old 14 August 2004, 08:22 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by TDT
Her boss:

Bill MARTIN
bmartin@eveningherald.co.uk

or his DDI: 01752 765531

Off to put on my Burberry for the drive to work for the night shift!
LOL! ignore her mate, you drive an amazing car. 'Nuff said.
Old 14 August 2004, 08:51 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what, she doesn't like it as much as the evo (which i thought was widely considered the better drivers car).

burberry comment is spot on as well. saw a scoob in leamington with burberry covered sun shades.
Old 14 August 2004, 10:07 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

What do women know about cars anyway
Old 14 August 2004, 10:20 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

not least because of their confusing and ever-changing range of near-identical models, exacerbated by their impossibly long titles
How often do Mitsi bring out a new, slightly tweaked version of the EVO?

and how can she so blatantly slag the looks when she drives an eggbox (unless she is driving a VI or earlier)
Old 14 August 2004, 10:26 AM
Ederboy
Scooby Regular

That guy is a dick
Old 14 August 2004, 10:52 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

burberry? bloody cheek!
i cant afford it. Too busy paying the petrol and insurance bill!
Old 14 August 2004, 11:36 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I think its a very fair review and pretty accurate IMO, apart from the Burberry comments!

Lets be honest, if any of us were to write an Evo review, we'd take the opportunity to have digs at them!

Chill!