Sponsored by:

WR1 Running in???

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2004, 07:34 PM
JWS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WR1 Running in???

Im picking my WR1 up tomorrow will i have to stick to a running in limits,or can she av it from the dealers forecourt!!!!

any advice welcome

ps dont really wont to read the handbook!!!

cheers JWS
Old 11 August 2004, 07:37 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles.
Old 11 August 2004, 07:42 PM
MillieWR1
Scooby Regular

Default MillieWR1

Originally Posted by JWS
Im picking my WR1 up tomorrow will i have to stick to a running in limits,or can she av it from the dealers forecourt!!!!

JWS
I was told 4500rmp, stuck to it but on the odd occassion went over, peaked at 6688rmp one journey, but it did take me 6 weeks to get the 1k on it, just serviced this week, feels great big big smile after driving so slow for so long. Enjoy.
Old 11 August 2004, 08:12 PM
Johnny WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MillieWR1
I was told 4500rmp
It says 4000 in the book.

Originally Posted by JWS
I could understand that if it was a video recorder, but a 30K car? If you are that cavalier then I doubt you'd take any advice posted here anyway.

PS. The handbook would not tell you it was OK to ignore the running in limits anyway so, in that respect, reading it would be a waste of time.
Old 11 August 2004, 08:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

any advice welcome
Look after your new £30k car! Let it warm up gently before you let her 'av it', wait a couple of minutes for the turbo to cool after a hard run, check oil & tyres every week and get any strange noises or behaviour checked out straight away.

I can't believe you don't even want to read the handbook...
Old 11 August 2004, 08:50 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Bought mine .. ran in within 48 hours. Took it to 5500 max generally but occasionally went over that. done 7000 miles now and the hardish running in I did has had no detremental effects.

Be nice to it but not too nice!
Old 11 August 2004, 09:16 PM
JWS
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for tha advice guess i might peak at the handbook,but not before i drive it home!!!
spending 30K on a uk car with three yrs warranty means that i dont have to panic too much about a few over rev,s surely!!!
JWS

Trending Topics

Old 11 August 2004, 09:23 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JWS ... bl00dy right mate. The car is going to get stone chips, it's going to get dirty and you'll prob have the odd problem with it as well as people opening doors on it. Accept that from the start and you'll have much more fun driving it!!

As I've said I've done 7000 miles in mine and it's been treated like a sports car from the start. No point buying it to wrap it up in cotton wool and never drive it to it's full potential. Get on a couple of track days after you've done about 5000 miles mate - have a play with the diff and really explore what the car can do!

Happy motoring!!
Old 11 August 2004, 09:24 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Having an engine rebuilt is a PITA, trust me - whether you have to pay for it or not. Run in and warm up gently, then have fun. And boy will you ever have fun...

Enjoy your new motor!
Old 11 August 2004, 09:26 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

your right on that Andyc ... fun is something that car is 100% full of
Old 11 August 2004, 09:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've spoken to several WR1 owners now - none has a bad word to say about the car (although one is already running around 350bhp...).

It's not making the wait for my new Jap STI any easier, that's for sure...
Old 11 August 2004, 09:47 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thats probably my car you're referring to there!

Car is awesome, absolutely awesome - even in standard form!
Old 11 August 2004, 10:08 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

James, you've never had any mechanical sympathy for anything, why start now!
Old 11 August 2004, 10:56 PM
JWS
Scooby Regular

BOB
This is entirely true but i like know what i shouldnt be doing,its more fun that way!!!
yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ill pop over and take you for a spin but only below 4000 thou hehehe!!!!
Old 12 August 2004, 09:48 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JWS
Blimey mate, there's people on here (inc. me) who would give their internal organs for a car like that (except for the dreadful colour!) so your apparant attitude on how to treat a brand new £30k car is, to me and I'm sure, most true enthusiasts, SAD.
Sure, it's your money, so do whatever you want, but you must have realised that your post would provoke reactions like mine?
JohnD
Old 12 August 2004, 10:01 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

You can set the rev warning buzzer on it to stop yourself from getting to carried away!

I'd certainly stick to the limit for the 1st few hundred miles to let the engine bed in properly.

My dealer told me that their demo cars are run in fairly carefully for a couple of hundred miles then go in for an oil and filter change. Once that's done the give them a lot of stick! Although they do then carry out 2/3 more oil and filter changes within the first 1000 miles as the car's driven hard. So it may be worth speaking to the garage about that when you pick the car up.

You'll find the character of the car changes a lot after 4000 revs, so the running in period may be worth sticking to in order for you to get used to the car.

The main thing is to enjoy it!
Old 12 August 2004, 11:02 AM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by MillieWR1
I was told 4500rmp, stuck to it but on the odd occassion went over, peaked at 6688rmp one journey, but it did take me 6 weeks to get the 1k on it, just serviced this week, feels great big big smile after driving so slow for so long. Enjoy.

I understand you drive like Miss Daisy, so running it in or not should not make any differance.
See you Friday night Andy if your about, if not Sat at the Rally Day.

:>)
Old 12 August 2004, 11:06 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Note to self: Do not buy a used WR1 off JWS
Old 12 August 2004, 11:40 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Johnd ... what's the point of owning an impreza if you're not going to realise it's full potential? I really don't see the point of buying a car such as an impreza and then wrapping it in cotton wool and never taking it anywhere close to what it can do. waste of around 30k if you ask me.

Not having a go just my opinion. You can't call people who take these cars to their limits non enthusiasts! I am 100% a Subaru enthusiast but the car is only a car. It will get scratches and knocks and it will lose money over time ...
Old 12 August 2004, 11:40 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JWS

any advice welcome

cheers JWS
So out of interest, which number have you got?
Old 12 August 2004, 11:48 AM
achad
Scooby Regular

I kept mine below 3500 for the 1st couple hundred miles and then below 4000 till I had the oil change at 900 miles. Believe it or not the most she reved to was 4500 once or twice in all that time! (a hole week it took) I slowly upped the revs till she was totally unleashed at around 1250 miles
After being out of a scoob for 6 months and driving round in a Yaris! The taking it easy due to the running in period is vital imo to getting use to a performance car once again. Especially in this car. You feel like your playing a car computer game with all the cheats on! The ease of cornering and the cornering speeds are frightening
I agree with Gangsta, its a crying shame to buy a car like this and wrap it up in cotton wool. Treat her like the slag that she is. she loves it
Old 12 August 2004, 11:55 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

boy does she love it ... always wanting to be ragged and never complaining of a headache. Best g/f I've ever had - if a tad thirsty!! But at least it doesn't want louis vuitton hand bags and tiffany jewlery. Just 98 Ron Optimax and oodles of Octane booster!!!
Old 12 August 2004, 01:37 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Re Optimax and women,

I was at my local petrol station thursaday gone with a apsolutly mint Diablo next to me! The guy goes in to pay for the petrol and starts to try it on with the cashire. He says hed swop the diablo for her as she was much pritier! lol (did I hear any1 say sleaze?) only to add 'oh and your probaly much cheeper to run' rofl. Her face was anapsolute picture!
Wish I was in the WR1 as this would be a dream to even try to keep up with him
Old 12 August 2004, 01:40 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

achad ... have raced a yellow diablo through the dartford tunnel. I was on his bumper and could have gone past - that was until his wheels stopped spinning at 65mph and he then became a spec in the distance - after a wicked flame show!

Who's ya daddy I said
I'm yer daddy biatch he said!!

Old 12 August 2004, 02:12 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

lol quality
This guys brother has one aswell and allegedly they both live only a couple miles from me. I will deffo want a good spanking if i see them on the road
Split-roast any1?
Old 12 August 2004, 02:13 PM
JWS
Scooby Regular

Talking COR BLIMEY

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
So out of interest, which number have you got?
Nice to see ived provoked such a varied reaction,maybe id better not mention what number it is or i may never sell it!!!! before anybody jumps in and ask why im thinking of selling it IM NOT. at least not until its knackered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
only joking anyway got to dash the dealer has just rung its ready to collect yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
JWS
ps they've only gone and scratched the bottom splitter getting it off the transporter,apparently this is quite common,anybody else had this problem??
Old 12 August 2004, 02:19 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
achad ... have raced a yellow diablo through the dartford tunnel.
bet that sounded great
Old 12 August 2004, 02:38 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

Cool

achad ... have raced a yellow diablo through the dartford tunnel. I was on his bumper and could have gone past - that was until his wheels stopped spinning at 65mph and he then became a spec in the distance - after a wicked flame show!

Who's ya daddy I said
I'm yer daddy biatch he said!!

Are you sure............................ for what people tell me and the way you drive.....lol...... that could have been a 3 wheeler trotter van passing you in the fast lane the other day in the tunnel......lol.....

No another note...........run mine in, took 7 days and a big wad of cash and loads of time.......... but after,,, woooosh, weeeeeeeeee and a strut brace from ProDrive tightened things up a lot more at the front..........

Now with 3k on the clock I was taking a little blast to Bmouth last weekend,,,,, pulled up behind a Twin Turbo 4x4 (Porsche) at the roundabout........... after seeing the white's on his eyes the horns started to grow, the right foot started to twitch and off we went..... with the misses next to me (she's always up for a good thrashing.......... I'll wait for the bantering to start) we hit the duel, up to 110 there was nothing in it, on his bumper all the way, then he turned off...... his look as I went past in a Scooby was priceless,,,, mind you he did have a big weight dis-advantage,,, what a fat minger sat next to him........... poor chap, poor car, looked like his shocks are shot on the passenger side.

C. :>)
Old 12 August 2004, 02:46 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

ps they've only gone and scratched the bottom splitter getting it off the transporter,apparently this is quite common,anybody else had this problem??[/QUOTE]

Although my garage said mine was fine i wonder if it was damaged. That said i've not been able to spot any repair.

Mainly due to the fact it took them 3 DAYS to PDI it when the service documents say they should allow 3 HOURS!

The other reason may just have been so they could use it for free advertising to draw people in off the street.
Old 12 August 2004, 03:10 PM
STI4ME
Scooby Regular

Johnd ... what's the point of owning an impreza if you're not going to realise it's full potential? I really don't see the point of buying a car such as an impreza and then wrapping it in cotton wool and never taking it anywhere close to what it can do. waste of around 30k if you ask me.
With due respect I don't think anyones suggesting not taking advantage of the awsome performance of these cars. However there is a whole big difference between tootling around like a OAP on a Sunday, and ragging the Bol**cks off the thing from cold. Just a little common sense and mechanical sympathy required is all! 'course, if you don't care whether some poor future owner has to needlessly shell out for an engine rebuild because you thought you knew better.....

Quick Reply: WR1 Running in???